Skill books; how do they work? And: help needed with scripting!

ToughPuppy

Question

Hello!

I am interested in making a script that makes time pass when reading a skill book. The idea is that one must invest time into reading the book before gaining any benefits. My current plan is that when a book is 'equipped' or consumed, a message box comes up asking whether the player wants 8 hours of in-game time to pass, after which 1 or 2 points are given to the player, depending on whether they have the 'Comprehension' perk. The consumed book then becomes another [bookmarked], and after being used again the remaining two skill points are added. Additional settings that I want included are the condition that the player must be out of combat first, and also that having drunk a cup of black coffee you will read the book faster.

I am hoping to break the reading stage into two parts, simply so that the player does not get excessive hungry or thirsty, and also to make time management a bit easier. I am surprised that I haven't been able to find anything like this on the Nexus Mods website, nor discovered any real discussion around the implementation of skill books. I have had a look at them in GECK and FNVEdit but I have no idea how they actually apply the bonus when consumed; there is no script attached to them (I will be attaching my script, if I can actually get it to work!) and I have been unable to find any script relating to them either.

Although I truly am a beginner at scripting and programming (I had to google 'float' and I got an 'E' at Computing AS-Level!) I think that I can manage scripting the adding of skill points and the conditions, but I am truly at a loss of how to script a waiting period. My first thought (and a rather logical one at that, if I might add) is to look at other mods and see how they get time to pass. The only example I found was from the PN Cyberware module in which the player can choose to wait x amount of hours and/or days during an implant operation, the value x depending upon the players preferences. Looking at the script befuddles me, and I am was wondering if I could copy this script and use it as a template for my mod.

If you have read this far, thank you for your interest. I do intend to upload my mod onto Nexus if I ever get it working, although it may take a while, what with my guide-dog puppy to look after and an inherent laziness that is a core character trait of mine.

Tough Puppy

4 answers to this question

I commend you on your inventiveness but I think you may need to consider another path than that you have proposed. Also I'm not sure many players will be as enthusiastic about waiting around for the full effect of "reading" to kick in, I may be wrong.

Firstly skill books are different to other "consumables" in that they do not have an effect applied to them, they simply contain data variables that are applied directly to the player when the book is 'read'.

Secondly you will probably need to read up on all the scripting functions and see if there is something you can use. This a link to an updated GECK wiki maintained by the TTW team, it is far more comprehensive than any other I know of.