Are any of the Lod Settings in SkyrimPrefs.ini rendered useless by dyndolod?

HyperSlayer72

Question

I was glancing over the Step guides for skyrim ini's and was curious about the following settings. Heads up i'm using ultra trees.

[Display]

fLightLODStartFade=5000.0000

fMeshLODFadeBoundDefault=256.0000

fMeshLODFadePercentDefault=4.0000

fMeshLODLevel1FadeTreeDistance=16896.0000

fMeshLODLevel2FadeTreeDistance=16896.0000

fMeshLODLevel1FadeDist=10000000.0000

fMeshLODLevel2FadeDist=10000000.0000

fTreesMidLODSwitchDist= 10000000.0000

While I doubt these settings (which are maxed based on ugrids=5) impact performance too greatly, but do any of them become redundant when using dyndolod (again with ultra trees.)?

One other big question, I just noticed the fShadowLODStartFade option, step claims its unused by the game, however could it be possible to draw shadows as lod? Particularly onto trees? If that was possible it could mediate the pretty bad transition between shadowed and unshadowed trees. 

Edited by HyperSlayer72

11 answers to this question

Sorry to Keep making additions but what about the options in the terrain manager ini section?

fTreeLoadDistance=125000.0000

fBlockMaximumDistance=250000.0000

fBlockLevel1Distance=70000.0000

fBlockLevel0Distance=35000.0000

fSplitDistanceMult=1.50000

I know these can be increased even further, but im curious again how dyndolod interacts with them.

I was glancing over the Step guides for skyrim ini's and was curious about the following settings. Heads up i'm using ultra trees.

[Display]

fMeshLODLevel1FadeTreeDistance=16896.0000

fMeshLODLevel2FadeTreeDistance=16896.0000

While I doubt these settings (which are maxed based on ugrids=5) impact performance too greatly, but do any of them become redundant when using dyndolod (again with ultra trees.)?

One other big question, I just noticed the fShadowLODStartFade option, step claims its unused by the game, however could it be possible to draw shadows as lod? Particularly onto trees? If that was possible it could mediate the pretty bad transition between shadowed and unshadowed trees.

None of these settings have anything to do with LOD past the load cells. They are about level of detail in the loaded cells / full models.

Sorry to Keep making additions but what about the options in the terrain manager ini section?

fTreeLoadDistance=125000.0000

fBlockMaximumDistance=250000.0000

fBlockLevel1Distance=70000.0000

fBlockLevel0Distance=35000.0000

fSplitDistanceMult=1.50000

I know these can be increased even further, but im curious again how dyndolod interacts with them.

These settings affect object, terrain and tree LOD. If traditional tree LOD is not used, 2D/3D trees are done in object LOD, then fTreeLoadDistance has no effect.

These settings are explained in the manual and can be set from the DynDOLOD MCM Settings page.

Edited by sheson

LOD does not "receive" shadows. That feature was added to FO4 but not Skyrim SE.

The terms "receive" and "cast" shadows are shader flags used in nifs, however setting them in LOD bto, btr meshes has no effect.

If anything can ever do shadows on LOD it would be something like ENB or SKGE I suppose.

Edited by sheson

With everything that HyperSlayer is learning I'm going to put him in charge of the next video = )

OH ****, Hilarious to get a reply from you on here. No joke ive been loosing it over waiting for terrain lod gen. Here's hopping we find some way to mediate the division between areas with and without grass. and by "we" I mean our lord and savior.

Edit:

Minor Addition this was my first time hearing about SKGE, i looked into it, seems super limited compared to enbseries, other than there shadow system all the development seems redundant.

Edited by HyperSlayer72

[Display]

fMeshLODLevel1FadeTreeDistance=

fMeshLODLevel2FadeTreeDistance=

Did you find out more about these variables in the ini?  I can't quite even begin to see if the FadePercentDefault= even works?  it says 4.0 on Skyrim & 1.2 on Fallout 4 & changing it doesn't seem to do anything?  

I'm really focused on City FPS & what I have found to improve it is

legit all low but 1920x1080 TAA x16 AF & set prefers

By setting it to 0 on an original Default.ini & a Launcher Generated Ultra Low Prefs can improve the terrible FPS drop in the city from 15 fps to like 45 fps but it's still not perfect.  Any advice would be appreciated.

fMeshLODLevel1FadeDist=0

fMeshLODLevel2FadeDist=0

These settings still have nothing to do with LOD beyond the loaded cells / DynDOLOD (this is the DynDOLOD support forum after all)

You might find guide helpful https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:SkyrimPrefs_INI/Display#fMeshLODFadePercentDefault

Check https://forum.step-project.com/forum/26-ini-tweaking/

Edited by sheson

That's very helpful, thanks.  I was tuning Fallout 4 because City fps is terrible.  Setting Ultra High or Ultra Low still city fps plummets.  So I was fiddling & some how got it to run 60fps all the time in the city & everywhere with Vsync on of course PresentInterval=1.  Anyway so what I did was I have a simplified Default.ini that I modded & simplified & deleted the prefs.ini & started the game & then the game was running at 60fps without a prefs at all, like the engine or something generates some way better config?!?  Anyway it was 60fps without a config in the city (auto generated, I guess) so I exited & this really strange extremely messy prefs.ini was generated which has some how allowed the game to run 60fps all the time.  Rather than plummeting all over the place.  The Fallout 4 game is really strange when it comes to performance & configs.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/21470/