Vilified Status

ToughPuppy

Question

Hello,

This may sound like a silly question, but if I become vilified by a faction e.g. the Legion or the NCR, does that mean they should attack me on sight? In my playthroughs I often become vilified by the Powder Gangers and they do just this, and yet whenever I am vilified by the two main factions, I can walk up to them and talk with NPCs (I get called a 'profligate' an awful lot by those nasty Legion men!).

I've done some searching on Google and a couple of discussions I came across said that some factions (especially NCR and Legion) don't attack on sight until you reach a point of no return (I would guess that means starting the quest at the dam), and yet many other discussions (older ones, and often for console gamers) reveal that these factions do attack on sight if you are vilified. I am confused!

(I have already posted a similar thread earlier about being vilified by the Legion and not attacked. Mods, please feel free to delete my first topic since nobody has replied to it).

Thankyou for reading!

Tough Puppy

1 answer to this question

Firstly, I recommend giving this page from the Wiki a read. The Legion and NCR are primary factions, and because of that there are more opportunities to regain fame from them - even in a disliked state. The Powder Gangers on the other hand, are a secondary faction. You only get one chance and if you blow it (no pun intended) then they will not give you another. I assume the reasoning behind this is to prevent the player from becoming vilified by the primary factions accidentally. With that being said, I do believe there is a point of no return. However, most people would not do that by accident. I have been attacked by Legion hit squads early on in the game (before reaching New Vegas even) because I killed a lot of legion before getting there. I am unsure where the line is, but the Wiki should explain things.