To clean or not to clean.... (TES vs FO)

D1Z4STR

Question

Good evening all,

It has been awhile since I wrote a post on the forums and I hope everyone has a had good year thus far. My question is coming from wanting to follow the modding video guide on FO3 from Michael at Gamer Poets https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7KCEMddYKs&t=. He recently discovered that cleaning the DLC from FO3 was not a good idea according to a few sources. Michael has since put the video series to a short halt. So here I am today wanting to do a STEP install of Oldrim. In sections 2.B/2.D should I still follow the guide as is and clean the update and DLC or will it do more harm than good as it could in FO3 and FNV? Thank you.

4 answers to this question

I may be branded as bit heretical for this but... I don't really think it is as necessary as it has been made to be.

Yes there are a few cases where "wild edits" may have been left behind, in which case they should pose no problem if removed, but there may just as well be the same number of seemingly pointless records left behinf that also pose no threat if left alone!

So, it comes back to the user. If the guide/video/friend's advice is to do "such and such" I don't think you will ruin your system if follow that advice.

There is one special case I know of where cleaning is actually not a good idea because the mods NEED to have those vanilla records in tact: Tales of Two Wastelands. There it is specifically instructed to NOT clean your DLC otherwise their plugins may not work.

There is one special case I know of where cleaning is actually not a good idea because the mods NEED to have those vanilla records in tact: Tales of Two Wastelands. There it is specifically instructed to NOT clean your DLC otherwise their plugins may not work.

For Oldrim ???

@D1Z4STR There is an easy to follow guide for Skyrim LE here .. https://www.afkmods.com/index.php?/topic/4110-manual-cleaning-skyrim-and-skyrim-se-master-files/