MO Crashes After Installing W10

Rogdon

Question

Hello,

I have been playing Skyrim with MO for two years and have not encountered any problems or weirdness.  Skyrim was installed from Steam with MO and the STEP Extended Guide.  About two months ago I installed FNV, downloaded from GOG, on another drive using MO and EssArrBee's Guide for FNV on STEP.  Everything was running fine with both games until shortly after I switched from W7 to W10 to get the extra 4GB.  I started getting random crashes shortly after starting either game.  This soon changed to immediate crashes upon launch.  I erased both games off of their drives and reinstalled the games using STEP and MO on two completely different drives.  No change.  Same problem.

I then did a new install of Skyrim and only loaded Skyrim.esm and Update.esm.  No change.  Still crashes on starting the game.

Since FNV takes less time to install I started experimenting with just FNV and MO.  I completely erased FNV and reinstalled it on a different drive.  Same problem.  I then installed FNV on a different drive using NMM.  No problems.  I got far into the game, but I really don't like NMM.  A newer version of W10 came out a few days ago 16229.64.  I installed it and tried running FNV from the MO FNV installation.  It crashed immediately.  I ran SFC SCANNOW from the command line and SFC reported back that my W10 installation is fine.  I downloaded the DirectX redistributable from both Microsoft, no change, and then from the game's install program.  And again no change.  After playing FNV using NMM for a couple more days I thought I would give MO one more try.  I reinstalled FNV on a different drive.  It worked.  I played a couple of hours and then decided to use Wrye Flash and FNVLODGen to make things more efficient and beautiful.  Wrye Bash crashed immediately.  After the crash the DATA folder files were not in either the left or right MO panes, though they were still in the real DATA folder.  The DATA folder files were also in the overwrite folder.  I wish I knew if they had been in the overwrite file from the beginning and that was why this installation of FNV ran so well.  As of right now I can not start the MO FNV installation even from outside of MO.

Unless someone has other ideas or suggestions for me to try, I guess I will have to use NMM until Tannen releases his new version of NMM.

My equipment is i5-6600K, GTX 1080, 32GB RAM, Boris' VRAM size is 24.034GB, 4 SSD and 1 HDD internal, and 2 HDD external.

Thank you for reading this and for any assistance you can provide.          

2 answers to this question