I rename my files also. My renaming scheme is a pain but keeps everything organized.
1. First thing I always do is rename the main file to the same as the page heading. Example, I download the main file and it says Vivid Weathers, I than change it to Vivid Weathers Special Edition - a complete Weather and Visual overhaul for Skyrim SE or if it doesn't have a description I would just name it Vivid Weathers = Main File
2. If Vivid Weathers has an Update file I name it Vivid Weathers = Main File Update, or maybe Vivid Weathers = Main File Update = Vivid Weather Update, so that I know what the actual file download is named. People can come up with some off the wall file names.
3. If a file was in the Misc Section I might call it Vivid Weathers Special Edition = Misc File = File Name
4. If its an Optional File I call it Vivid Weathers Special Edition = Optional File = File Name
5. And finally if it is a patch I call it Vivid Weathers Special Edition = Patch = File Name
I find this keeps my download directory very organized, I have to save everything because my internet is super slow. I also found out that "-" will always come before "=" so that is why I can name Vivid Weathers Special Edition - a complete Weather and Visual overhaul for Skyrim SE and it will always come before something like Vivid Weathers Special Edition = Optional File = File Name
This is the way I do it and I would love it if there was a more uniform system out there that everyone would follow