SSE SkyrimPrefs INI Guide

DoubleYou

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I use Step 1.0.0 for Skyrim SE(the full setup), but no matter what I change in BethINI, I can't run the game windowed, it seems to ignore it altogether. Also running the game 1920x1080 instead of my native 2560x1080 seem to end up in failure, it just stretches the game out horizontally. I turn off Borderless and I turn on Windowed, and it ignores both.

Anyone have a solution? I'm really at a loss here. I double checked to see if I was using the right profile and BethINI settings, but I 100% am. I tried changing other things and it applies correctly. 

[Display]
bBorderless=0
bDrawLandShadows=1
bEnableImprovedSnow=0
bEnableProjecteUVDiffuseNormals=1
bForceCreateTarget=0
bFull Screen=0
bFXAAEnabled=0
bIBLFEnable=0
bIndEnable=0
bSAO_CS_Enable=0
bSAOEnable=1
bScreenSpaceReflectionEnabled=1
bToggleSparkles=0
bTreesReceiveShadows=1
bUse64bitsHDRRenderTarget=1
bUsePrecipitationOcclusion=1
bUseTAA=1
bVolumetricLightingEnable=1
fDynamicDOFBlurMultiplier=0.8
ffocusShadowMapDoubleEveryXUnit=450
fGamma=1.0000
fInteriorShadowDistance=3000
fLeafAnimDampenDistEnd=4600
fLeafAnimDampenDistStart=3600
fLightLODStartFade=5000
fMeshLODFadeBoundDefault=256
fMeshLODFadePercentDefault=1.2
fMeshLODLevel1FadeDist=10240
fMeshLODLevel1FadeTreeDistance=8960
fMeshLODLevel2FadeDist=7680
fMeshLODLevel2FadeTreeDistance=5376
fProjectedUVDiffuseNormalTilingScale=0.2
fProjectedUVNormalDetailTilingScale=0.8
fShadowDistance=8000
fTreesMidLODSwitchDist=8960
iMaxDecalsPerFrame=200
iMaxSkinDecalsPerFrame=200
iNumFocusShadow=4
iNumSplits=2
iReflectionResolutionDivider=2
iSaveGameScreenShotHeight=192
iSaveGameScreenShotHeighWSt=192
iSaveGameScreenShotWidth=256
iSaveGameScreenShotWidthWS=320
iScreenShotIndex=01
iShadowMapResolution=2048
iShadowMaskQuarter=4
iSize H=900
iSize W=1600
iVolumetricLightingQuality=2
iVSyncPresentInterval=1
uBookRatio=2

Edited by notcyf

7 hours ago, z929669 said:

In SSE Display tweaks, set:

Fullscreen=false
Borderless=true

... and read through the other settings. Also, visit our BethINI recommendations.

I followed the recommendations fully, with some th I followed the entire guide word to word, this was my only issue. But thank you, that mod seems to be the one overwriting the fullscreen settings. A suggestion would be to add a guide to make SkyUI work on 21:9 displays, because I could use https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/1778 but I don't know if it would be incompatible with the STEP guide.

Thank you though guys. Maybe it's an idea to add a warning for people with 21:9 displays that it will cause UI issues on the current guide :)

Also I think you meant Borderless=false

Edited by notcyf

Why not use SSE Display Tweaks to modify resolution with the posted settings?

## Set the game resolution. Only applies in windowed and borderless fullscreen mode (when Fullscreen=false).
#
# Provided for convenience. Easily scale or set the resolution in windowed/borderless fullsceen mode.
#
# Note: These options override iSize W and iSize H in SkyrimPrefs.ini. They have no effect when commented out.
#
#Resolution=1920x1080
#ResolutionScale=0.75

Use the BethINI settings as instructed by the guide and make adjustments to SSE Display Tweaks. Remember that there can be conflicting INI settings, so having two things set to do the same thing is either going to be redundant or conflicting. Same goes for your display drivers. your display resolution isn't as common as 16:9 and 16:10, so you will need to tweak and test between game INIs, SSE Display Tweaks, and your video driver software. This is why you should set game INIs at a baseline and leave that alone until you have thoroughly and independently tested SSE Display Tweaks settings and driver settings. There could be hundreds of combinations of settings, so you will need to be methodical. I wouldn't add the Widescreen Fix to the mix until you know for certain that it is impossible with these three and your hardware.

15 minutes ago, z929669 said:

Why not use SSE Display Tweaks to modify resolution with the posted settings?

## Set the game resolution. Only applies in windowed and borderless fullscreen mode (when Fullscreen=false).
#
# Provided for convenience. Easily scale or set the resolution in windowed/borderless fullsceen mode.
#
# Note: These options override iSize W and iSize H in SkyrimPrefs.ini. They have no effect when commented out.
#
#Resolution=1920x1080
#ResolutionScale=0.75

Use the BethINI settings as instructed by the guide and make adjustments to SSE Display Tweaks. Remember that there can be conflicting INI settings, so having two things set to do the same thing is either going to be redundant or conflicting. Same goes for your display drivers. your display resolution isn't as common as 16:9 and 16:10, so you will need to tweak and test between game INIs, SSE Display Tweaks, and your video driver software. This is why you should set game INIs at a baseline and leave that alone until you have thoroughly and independently tested SSE Display Tweaks settings and driver settings. There could be hundreds of combinations of settings, so you will need to be methodical. I wouldn't add the Widescreen Fix to the mix until you know for certain that it is impossible with these three and your hardware.

The thing I'm trying to do is make sure the game is rendering at 16:9 with black borders, but without using Fullscreen exclusive mode. I don't know if that is possible, but using borderless at 16:9 (using BorderlessUpscale=false) will cause the taskbar to stay in the screen, with BorderlessUpsacale=true, the game acts like it's fullscreen and removes the taskbar, but makes the game stretched and ugly. Using 2560x1080 causes SkyUI to clip out of the screen, and make it unusable, so 21:9 just isn't an option.

My only option might be to just completely change the monitor resolution to 1920x1080, but if there is any other way, your help would be truly appreciated! 

Maybe there's a way to force rendering of black borders, even in borderless windowed?

And quite off topic, but 21:9 isn't as uncommon as it used to be anymore. It takes about 2.5% of the gaming market. That's 2 to the 3 people per 100 people. This number used to be much much lower(https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/).

Edited by notcyf

I use 21:9 widescreen. To use it with STEP, install the following files from https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/1778 and make sure they overwrite the relevant mods:

• Complete Widescreen Fix for SkyUI 5.2 SE Alpha - 2560x1080
  • Better Dialogue Control Widescreen Fix
  • Better MessageBox Control Widescreen Fix
  • Race Menu SE - WIdescreen Fix
  • SkyUI SE - Flashing Savegames FIx - Widescreen Fix

I also recommend using one of the Wider MCM Menu for SkyUI options. Just choose one you like.

You shouldn't really need to mess with anything in your display settings this way. Make sure you set your resolution back to 2560x1080 afterward.

5 hours ago, DoubleYou said:

I use 21:9 widescreen. To use it with STEP, install the following files from https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/1778 and make sure they overwrite the relevant mods:

• Complete Widescreen Fix for SkyUI 5.2 SE Alpha - 2560x1080
  • Better Dialogue Control Widescreen Fix
  • Better MessageBox Control Widescreen Fix
  • Race Menu SE - WIdescreen Fix
  • SkyUI SE - Flashing Savegames FIx - Widescreen Fix

I also recommend using one of the Wider MCM Menu for SkyUI options. Just choose one you like.

You shouldn't really need to mess with anything in your display settings this way. Make sure you set your resolution back to 2560x1080 afterward.

Wow thank you! This is actually neat! I think I can just merge the Widescreen fixes into the relevant mods in MO2 right? I was afraid that i needed more than just the Widescreen fix, and you just gave me everything needed!

Edited by notcyf