Lexy's: Legacy of The Dragonborn Special Edition

Getting an odd CTD at night time only in the area of the road west of Gjukar's Monument and south of Rorikstead.  There are no landmarks (on the map) in this general area and it was only occurring at night.  Could it be a creature spawn that was causing this?

If I ran along the road toward Rorikstead or approached the area of the road from the countryside I would crash.  I waited until daytime. Mapped to Rorikstead and ran the general area and suffered no crashes.  Weird.

~Edit~ Upon further testing it seems that crashes are occuring in the area in around where Skyrilm Reborn - Whiterun Hold adds one marked and a couple more unmarked areas of interest.  The area is populated by numerous wolves and several spriggans.  I have found that by saving after each encounter I can eliminate the crashes in that area.

have had a bit of a play today (yes shock horror I have actually played the game) just hit level 5. Have been testing out a Skryim Revamped Enemy Complete Overhaul +Know Your Enemy Combo. So far I ave journeyed Whiterun to Solitude to visit the museum the went all the way to Riften Via Morthal, Dawnstar, Kynesgrove. I have Inigo, Sofia, Toccata and Rumarin in tow. I have just joined the companions and have a mission from Aela to clear a cave near Winterhold which helps cos I need to head to the Shrine of Boethiah to pick my next Artifact for the museum.

I've been playing the game for two days! Started in Solitude to get right into the museum, which was incredibly useful since I didn't want to pay the Winking Skeever's rip-off price for a room. I used the guide's combat build and I must say I enjoyed it. It made things really hard, meaning you actually have to avoid melee combat with humanoids - and most creatures - until you get some skills up. I could kill wolves but that was about it. A husky and its cub almost killed me when I was off to broken oar grotto. Since I'm playing solo, so far, I picked up archery as my main combat skill, which fits my character's role as an Indiana Jones type tomb raider and relic retriever, with a shady taste for shiny things (and loose morals... I don't think this game can be played at all with a strictly law-abiding character!) but a definite distaste for petty robbery. Which means no easy stealing food, water, crafting materials and the like. I had a hard time on my first hunting runs until I could hunt enough animals to make leather and get myself a bedroll and a full set of pouches and bags - yes, made life a bit easier! But I had to hunt a lot of horkers before I could level up and put some perks into archery. Couldn't hope to hunt game like deers or elks until I was able to kill them with the second shot. Finally at level 5 I was confident enough to meet the argonian chick Deeja in the Icerunner wreck, and made out alive mostly by sneaking and shooting in the dark - but had to endure some dreary face-to-face combat, too. Turns out, with this build, at least at lower levels, heavy weapons work best in single combat... Dodge or block/stagger, then hit for the hardest damage you can do, repeat, trying to end it quickly. I'd usually go down in 3 hits max. If the first one got me wounded, the second one would be fatal. Fortunately the same seems to be true for enemies. Melee against multiple enemies seems to be impossible at this point! Broken-Oar grotto was easier, mostly shot everybody from a distance. All the while, I was going back to Solitude for the night and for smelting or selling stuff. Now I'm ready to go to Helgen and pick up the main quest, as Legacy's initial quests kindly guide you to.

So I've noticed a issue with using ELFX, two actually. First is a few locations have their light sources turn off if you look at them at a certain angle (not super sharp even, just a little bit off center). This is most noticable in the cell at the LAL start where if you look at the statue, then slowly move the camera to the left the light will eventually turn off before the candle or even the statue is out of frame. The second is that there are a few locations where if you have a external light source (torch, lantern, spell ect.) the ground appears darker than the rest of the area unless you are looking at it from a certain angle. I noticed it first in the Temple of the Divines, specifically the left/north upper area in the corner but you can see it in multiple places including some dungeons like Helgen Keep and even player homes like Proudspire Mannor. It seems to be a issue with ELFX, Im running it with ELE and RLS as well as in every other combination and its only when ELFX is active that I get this issue. Does anyone else notice this or is it just me?

So I've noticed a issue with using ELFX, two actually. First is a few locations have their light sources turn off if you look at them at a certain angle (not super sharp even, just a little bit off center). This is most noticable in the cell at the LAL start where if you look at the statue, then slowly move the camera to the left the light will eventually turn off before the candle or even the statue is out of frame. The second is that there are a few locations where if you have a external light source (torch, lantern, spell ect.) the ground appears darker than the rest of the area unless you are looking at it from a certain angle. I noticed it first in the Temple of the Divines, specifically the left/north upper area in the corner but you can see it in multiple places including some dungeons like Helgen Keep and even player homes like Proudspire Mannor. It seems to be a issue with ELFX, Im running it with ELE and RLS as well as in every other combination and its only when ELFX is active that I get this issue. Does anyone else notice this or is it just me?

I've always had this issue with ELFX, in classic Skyrim as well. Not sure it's even possible to avoid, I mean it may be inherent to ELFX and not caused by mod conflicts. Although ELFX loads pretty early in the load order and not all mods have patches for it. I've learned to live with this distracting behaviour because, without ELFX, my interiors are simply too dark and light sources too dim to compensate for it. The glitch is pretty common, but its nowhere near omnipresent, so I tolerate it...

It seems to be a issue with ELFX

Did some reading to refresh my ideas on this issue. Here's TechAngel's summary of the problem:

This will be caused more by ELFX than RS. ELFX adds more lights than it should in order to adjust brightness in some locations rather than simply adjusting the bulb settings. Only 6 lights can hit a single mesh before they "flicker". ELFX can add up to 3 bulbs for a single source and that is the reason they're having to edit meshes. They are simply "splitting" meshes into different parts to overcome this, but that should only be necessary on very large meshes.

So yes, it seems like a problem inherent to ELFX, or you may consider it another nagging game engine limitation (but that's what we have to work with).

yes, it is an inherant issue with the way ELFX is made some light will flicker there not much that can be done about it apart from not using ELFX it has been there forever so we live with it.

Here is a post I found that fixed the flickering lights with ELFX in the LAL starting area and several other places.  It worked for SRLE Extended on Classic Skyrim, I'm not sure if it will work in SSE but here it is for anyone to try if you want to give it a go.  I'm going to try it again once I get back to may main computer.

tanzplagen, on 02 Jun 2016 - 10:41 PM, said:snapback.png

Hi,

I fixed it!  (in my setup, at least....)

So I have always had this problem with the lights in the AS-Another Life' class='bbc ipSeoAcronym'>LAL start room flickering as I turn slightly, and its always annoyed me.  It happened regardless of my INI/ENB settings -- using default settings, STEP settings, or SRLE settings.  But I have managed to fix it in my Conflict Resolution file.  There are 2 Initially Disabled lights in CELL 00021594 (AbandonedPrison01) in EnhancedLightsandFX.esp:

00057C5C:

[REFR:00057C5C] (places CandleHornTable01 [sTAT:0001F24A] in GRUP Cell Temporary Children of AbandonedPrison01 "Abandoned Prison" [CELL:00021594])

00057C5D:

[REFR:00057C5D] (places BleakFallsCandleLight01 [LIGH:0002EE04] in GRUP Cell Temporary Children of AbandonedPrison01 "Abandoned Prison" [CELL:00021594])

Alternate Start - Live Another Life.esp overrides these records, reactivates, and slightly moves these 2 lights.

I fixed it (in my setup) by carrying forward the elfx.esp record for both of these FormIDs to my conflict resolution file.  I haven't had a hint of flickering in that room since doing this.

YAY!

Dan.

This does indeed fix the flickering in the AS-Another Life' class='bbc ipSeoAcronym'>LAL room, but are there any repercussions down the line? For reference, these are the two edits that tanzplagen is suggesting:

[00] Skyrim.esm \ Cell \ Block 6 \ Sub-Block 9 \ 00021594 <AbandonedPrison01> \ Temporary \ 00057C5C

[00] Skyrim.esm \ Cell \ Block 6 \ Sub-Block 9 \ 00021594 <AbandonedPrison01> \ Temporary \ 00057C5D

You can right-click on the record from EnhancedLightsandFX.esp and copy it as an override either into SR Conflict Resolution.esp or into your own new/custom patch file.

What I meant is I uncheck "copy general assets" and DO NOT uncheck "batch copy assets". The latter is a more stable way for Merge Plugins to do its job. It's the "copy general assets" that's telling it to copy everything, so uncheck only that one if you want to leave the original mods' assets in place.

Makes sense. Thank you. I've rebuilt all the Merges with folders this way, but the CTD issue when fast travelling to Whiterun Stables still exists, even after starting a new game. Any ideas how I can figure out what's causing this CTD?  I'll start the whole process with deactivating mods again, hope that helps.

have had a bit of a play today (yes shock horror I have actually played the game) just hit level 5. Have been testing out a Skryim Revamped Enemy Complete Overhaul +Know Your Enemy Combo. So far I ave journeyed Whiterun to Solitude to visit the museum the went all the way to Riften Via Morthal, Dawnstar, Kynesgrove. I have Inigo, Sofia, Toccata and Rumarin in tow. I have just joined the companions and have a mission from Aela to clear a cave near Winterhold which helps cos I need to head to the Shrine of Boethiah to pick my next Artifact for the museum.

What do you think of the Skyrim Revamped + KYE combo so far? How do you like it?

Here is a post I found that fixed the flickering lights with ELFX in the LAL starting area and several other places.  It worked for SRLE Extended on Classic Skyrim, I'm not sure if it will work in SSE but here it is for anyone to try if you want to give it a go.  I'm going to try it again once I get back to may main computer.

tanzplagen, on 02 Jun 2016 - 10:41 PM, said:snapback.png

This does indeed fix the flickering in the AS-Another Life' class='bbc ipSeoAcronym'>LAL room, but are there any repercussions down the line? For reference, these are the two edits that tanzplagen is suggesting:

[00] Skyrim.esm \ Cell \ Block 6 \ Sub-Block 9 \ 00021594 \ Temporary \ 00057C5C

[00] Skyrim.esm \ Cell \ Block 6 \ Sub-Block 9 \ 00021594 \ Temporary \ 00057C5D

You can right-click on the record from EnhancedLightsandFX.esp and copy it as an override either into SR Conflict Resolution.esp or into your own new/custom patch file.

I will forward this to the next CR Update.

What do you think of the Skyrim Revamped + KYE combo so far? How do you like it?

I am liking what I see so far.

I'm having an issue with heat sources (and sometimes the floor) giving off a lot of smoke indoors. I know that the issue is tied to ELFX because I ran the game with the mod active and not and didn't have the issue when it wasn't running.

I'm currently working my way through this guide and just finished installing LeanWolf's Better-Shaped Talos Statue with Greatsword SE. There seems to be smoke even when there are no heat sources nearby. I'm not sure if this is normal but any advice would be very appreciated.

Thanks everyone!

I'm having an issue with heat sources (and sometimes the floor) giving off a lot of smoke indoors. I know that the issue is tied to ELFX because I ran the game with the mod active and not and didn't have the issue when it wasn't running.

I'm currently working my way through this guide and just finished installing LeanWolf's Better-Shaped Talos Statue with Greatsword SE. There seems to be smoke even when there are no heat sources nearby. I'm not sure if this is normal but any advice would be very appreciated.

Thanks everyone!

For issues like this a picture would help.  I don't know why you are experiencing the issue as you described it as I do not suffer from it.  You may have installed something improperly (it's very easy to do and we all have done it).  However,  you could try these mods and see if it fixes it for you: Remove Interior Fog, and Interior Floating Fog (Dust) Remover

Perhaps someone else has a better idea.