Lexy's: Legacy of The Dragonborn Special Edition

Maybe just a tiny sugestion, i know keeping up with the conflict resolution isn't easy, but maybe when you update the conflict resolution you can write in the change log just what section was updated? like if you change let's say something with npc, you just write changed npc section of the conflic resolution, usally I go through the whole one, to add the changes, so i can be up to date, before i start playing, Just maybe for people that don't add evrything on the list. I for example have to remove from each version of conflict resolution some mods i don't use, but then go through the whole patch to check what else changed. 

that why I have the Update file it contains only new stuff for the CR.

I will add to my Trello List but I have decided to put my mod testing on hold for a bit to allow users and my DEV Team to catch up since there have been a lot of big changes of late.

I don't blame you Lady Lexy, sometimes you just need to step outside and take a breathe, it's been a bit manic with all the stuff coming and going recently.

good on you Lexy Lady.

This is probably a stupid question given modding Skyrim in general, but just for the sake of clarity and posterity: it's normal for Skyrim to still have the occasional CTD even after being exhaustively thorough with xEdit corrections and cleaning, load order optimization, etc., yeah? 

Don't get me wrong, I have had stints of hours of play with no issues with this setup, I just still every now and then have a sudden CTD when just walking around the world space or (most 'commonly') after the animations finish for Keep Yourself Clean, etc. 

This is still ultimately just the nature of the beast with modding Skyrim, I'm sure--but I just wanted to clarify that it's not just me / having screwed up something while everyone else has a 100% bulletproof experience instead of 97%.

This is probably a stupid question given modding Skyrim in general, but just for the sake of clarity and posterity: it's normal for Skyrim to still have the occasional CTD even after being exhaustively thorough with xEdit corrections and cleaning, load order optimization, etc., yeah? 

Don't get me wrong, I have had stints of hours of play with no issues with this setup, I just still every now and then have a sudden CTD when just walking around the world space or (most 'commonly') after the animations finish for Keep Yourself Clean, etc. 

This is still ultimately just the nature of the beast with modding Skyrim, I'm sure--but I just wanted to clarify that it's not just me / having screwed up something while everyone else has a 100% bulletproof experience instead of 97%.

In my personal experience, it's difficult but not impossible to EVENTUALLY get to a point where your mods play nice with either other and usually don't cause CTDs. But with heavily-modded games, it does take, at least me because I'm usually doing this late evening/night when I'm tired, time to get to that point. And there are probably always going to be cells somewhere, maybe even from the original files, that cause problems. But that would be the exception.

This build is pretty stable, though, and I have played for a week or two with no CTDs. One of the big things I've found that cause them for me is Firefox. That thing has a memory leak that hasn't been fixed in the years I've been using it. Even if I only have two tabs open, it seems to be "remembering" all the other tabs I opened for some random timeperiod, I've seen it using almost a GB of memory. One day I kept getting CTDs, closed FF, and it didn't happen again. I often want to have it open when playing (I play windowed/borderless so I can alt-tab if I need to check my email or whatever), so I'll just close it and reopen it to clear out all the mess. (And I have a pretty powerful system, it's not using up all the memory when combined with Skyrim, I think it just turns into a bully or something, no idea...)

Not related to this, but something I found out last night, if you install Immersive Horses, even if you never leave the LAL cell, you'll instantly CTD on load if you remove it. (I didn't mention that here, did I? I mentioned it somewhere... I'm going to make more tea.) I know the rule is to never remove mods, and this was just me testing a few new mods, but that seems a bit much for a horse mod. Convenient Horses didn't do that to me. (And now having tried both, I like it much better anyway.)

Damn, I'm envious of the week+ stretch without CTDs for you then; I had been away from Skyrim + modding for a few years and got stoked to get back in after finding Lexy's mod setup.  Spent a ton of time getting everything set up, and even did a major PC upgrade to be able to hang with it. 

I'm mostly stable in play sessions and have had stretches of long hours going fine, but I will also periodically and inexplicably have non-repeatable CTD situations--e.g. run through Solitude dozens of times with no issues, until one time suddenly CTDing near the Catacombs entrance on my way to the dragonborn museum or one time out of twenty get a CTD just riding my way up to Meridia's beacon, that sort of thing.

It's just very frustrating because I would immensely prefer consistent crashing scenarios simply from a troubleshooting perspective.  With 200+ mods in play, it's nigh impossible to deduce (at least from my experience level of mucking around and trying to be as thorough as possible in xEdit) why I get the rare but spontaneous CTD just out and about--which just leads to popping manual saves constantly out of worry for suddenly crashing unexpectedly because a given play session could be hours or not before a random one might crop up.

CTDs: I don't think there's any getting away from it, even with the most cautiously maintained mod list. It seems to be a weakness of the engine, and exactly where and how often it happens seems to vary from system to system, so I suspect it boils down to something like IO load or the like. Often if you save right before the CTD happens, when you reload you'll be able to progress fine.

For instance, I have a 100% reproducible CTD at the start of the game as follows:

Solitude boat start (original Relic Hunter alt start)

Grab Fairy 12 and Dark Ship, head inside Solitude

Watch execution scene, go visit Auryen, grab the spoon and sort away the few things I've already picked up.

Leave Solitude, get a cart to Whiterun. Pick up Sofia and Toccata.

(At this point I may go help Cicero out quickly as he's nearby, it doesn't make any difference to the CTD.)

Head towards Riverwood....

CTD just after passing the large treestump immediately before the bridge into Riverwood.

Reload save... enter Riverwood without issue.

I think if you're modding Skyrim to any extent you just learn to live with this sort of thing.

• +1 1

Damn, I'm envious of the week+ stretch without CTDs for you then; I had been away from Skyrim + modding for a few years and got stoked to get back in after finding Lexy's mod setup.  Spent a ton of time getting everything set up, and even did a major PC upgrade to be able to hang with it. 

I'm mostly stable in play sessions and have had stretches of long hours going fine, but I will also periodically and inexplicably have non-repeatable CTD situations--e.g. run through Solitude dozens of times with no issues, until one time suddenly CTDing near the Catacombs entrance on my way to the dragonborn museum or one time out of twenty get a CTD just riding my way up to Meridia's beacon, that sort of thing.

It's just very frustrating because I would immensely prefer consistent crashing scenarios simply from a troubleshooting perspective.  With 200+ mods in play, it's nigh impossible to deduce (at least from my experience level of mucking around and trying to be as thorough as possible in xEdit) why I get the rare but spontaneous CTD just out and about--which just leads to popping manual saves constantly out of worry for suddenly crashing unexpectedly because a given play session could be hours or not before a random one might crop up.

Yeah, I'm back into doing this because of a major PC upgrade as well.

What I had done last night for testing since I've redone my mods YET AGAIN was to create a character and save it at a bunch of places I'd had problems with in the past (using the console coc for a lot of them) and then add more mods, and test again. Unfortunately I didn't realize I'd activated Immersive Horses and when I decided I didn't want it, there went all my saves. Technically I should probably disable Convenient Horses as well, but it's required for one of the CR patches on the guide I'm starting with (which is like this one but with a lot less mods - I did the entire thing in about an hour because I had most of them already downloaded) and I already know I want to use it.

And I'm a programmer, I DEFINITELY know what you mean about non-repeatable problem frustration. One famous programmer solution is to undo a bunch of stuff and then redo it without changing anything and it'll work fine again. :-P Something more useful might be to look back at your recent saves, see where you've been, what items you have, what followers (if any) are with you, look at all your logs and see what was going on when you crashed, etc. I remember in SLE I kept crashing in one specific area of Whiterun and the papyrus log showed that it was trying to load a specific audio file for that type of ground.

• +1 2

Thank you, that's pretty much precisely the sort of thing I'm referring to--and I'll stress again that especially considering how beefy this mod loadout is, it's astonishingly stable.  Out of, say, 50 hours or so of play, I could ballpark maybe 30 unexpected CTDs along the way that weren't 'correctable' in the troubleshooting sense near as I could tell and in the grand scheme of things, that is a very tiny ratio of frustration to actual gameplay clock--it's just aggravating how much crashing once or twice out of the blue can put you on edge / paranoia for hours and hours afterwards. 

Perfect example in the Solitude area is crashing on my way up to Meridia's beacon, then fastidiously saving every 5 - 10 minutes... but not crashing throughout the entirety of Meridia's quest thereafter, nor the entirety of Wolfskull cave + the thwarting the necromancers summoning Potema, etc. which is a fair chunk of play, riding my horse up to the fort to satisfy the legion and suddenly getting a CTD right as I drew my weapon before attacking the fort.  Reload, runs fine for the entirety of the very protracted fight with the bandits, both interiors of the fort, etc.  Stints like that.

One of the only very direct rough crashes that took me a bit to puzzle out with lots of hopping back and forth between saves, etc. was in the process of discovering that somewhere in the modding process + merges + whatever, somehow the Scroll of Candlelight entry in the records ended up with a NULL reference instead of the correct spell reference--which resulted in a consistent, reliable, 100% of the time CTD as soon as I'd open my inventory with one of the scrolls in there. 

It was satisfying to fix that, but took a lot of reloading and going from being -convinced- that I was crashing upon looting an enemy -> clearly something that enemy is dropping is crashing me -> wait a minute if I reload far enough back and get to that enemy I don't crash -> 'What bloody thing am I picking up between these two saves that's crashing?'

In any event, I would love to be able to scry or divine or whatever warlock magic is necessary to deduce why Skyrim sometimes gets irascible out of the blue; in the meantime, I am keen to do as much preemptively as I can to try to give as smooth a potential experience as I can muster and I spent a lot more than I should upgrading my rig in pursuit of 'I want to be absolutely sure it isn't my hardware holding me back.'

Which is all a very long way of saying that this guide got me both excited to play Skyrim again and mod it up and upgrade my PC, so many kudos to the team behind it.

My funniest random bug so far was floating carrots. Only happened once. I just decided to name that Bug "Bunny." LOL My weirdest repeatable bug was naked Imperials fighting at Sleeping Tree Camp. (Reminds me, I should add that to my list of test saves.) Since I did this new build, so far, no problems aside from learning to never remove Immersive Horses, but I'm going to just run around and do a bunch of saves in various places where I hear about people having problems.

There's also some 20-something step stress testing guide I found... on here? (Of course I don't have the tab open, why would I, that would be too easy.) Anyway, I'm going to run through that as well. It's basically running around to a whole bunch of places and doing things that are, IDK, known to cause crashes?

Overall, given my experience with FF causing CTDs, I suspect there may be some kind of memory issue. I think I remember SLE having some kind of mod to help with that. But there's a console command you can use to clear memory, pcb (PurgeCellBuffers) and if I notice my framerate is dropping or any other weirdness, or just randomly when I think of that, I'll run that.

Skyrim is Skyrim it will crash

Yeah, that too.

Edited by OCDCoder

That is how it goes though--modding Skyrim is the actual game, playing modded Skyrim is jut the interstitial part.

Yeah, I've been modding about two months, played about 12h or so of a real (non-test) game. Never made it out of Whiterun. I'm really starting to question my priorities...