Lexy's: Legacy of The Dragonborn Special Edition

Lexy and other authors.  Its not needed obviously but I follow this guides development alot, and some times get curious why something is removed or changed.  Sometimes you bring it up in the thread but sometimes its just oh ok well thats gone :)  I would find it interesting to see a quick blurb why on flat our removals for example, swapns not a big deal and additions make sense most th etime but removals are strange at times

a mod usually removed for one of 3 reasons:

1. It is broken or had a major compatibility issue I can't fix easily.

2. It was pulled from Nexus

3. I just don't like it.

Hey guys, is it possible to tweak some settings to make interiors brighter? I love that caves and crypts with no lightsource are dark and that carrying a torch finally is worth something, but unfortunately also all "populated" places like inns, homes and forts and such are WAY too dark, so I think I have to find a middle ground between dark caves and "seeable" inhabitated interiors. I also found the CLARALUX Testing Facility but I don't know if it's the right setting to tweak, and I'd rather not break my game lighting playing with it lol. Maybe there are some ini files to be tweaked?

Edited by RedRex46

Sounds like an issue with ELE (Enhanced Lighting for ENB), I had a similar issue a while back, try rebuilding "Enhanced Lighting For ENB Merged" then redo "Mators SMASH"

CLARALUX has nothing to do with interior lighting

But you can always use your "quick light" (hold E for .5 sec) instead of wasting torches

Hey guys, is it possible to tweak some settings to make interiors brighter? I love that caves and crypts with no lightsource are dark and that carrying a torch finally is worth something, but unfortunately also all "populated" places like inns, homes and forts and such are WAY too dark, so I think I have to find a middle ground between dark caves and "seeable" inhabitated interiors. I also found the CLARALUX Testing Facility but I don't know if it's the right setting to tweak, and I'd rather not break my game lighting playing with it lol. Maybe there are some ini files to be tweaked?

Best way I've found to deal with it is by opening the ENB settings (SHIFT-ENTER for that, though I would also bring up the console to keep things from happening in the background while you do this). On the right side panel, there is a entry for ENBSettings (I think... it's the one second from the bottom). Inside that is a line that reads something to the effect of Brightness - Interior, set at a value of around .85 I think. It maxes at 2.0, and I set mine to 1.7. It's still dark(ish), torches/Quick Light still have use, but it's not the pitch black that occurs at the default values. Your setting may well be different than mine, though, so some experimentation will be needed.

Also note that this assumes the recommended Phoenix ENB... the setting name may be different according to installed ENB.

Keep in mind that interior worldspaces are all treated identically - inns and crypts are the same as far as the game is concerned. Changing the lighting in a crypt or cave will have equal effect on inns, so I'd recommend changing the lighting while in a populated interior space to your liking, and then hoping that the caves and such aren't too bright for your taste - as I said, experimentation is pretty key to this setting.

Sounds like an issue with ELE (Enhanced Lighting for ENB), I had a similar issue a while back, try rebuilding "Enhanced Lighting For ENB Merged" then redo "Mators SMASH"

CLARALUX has nothing to do with interior lighting

But you can always use your "quick light" (hold E for .5 sec) instead of wasting torches

Not ELE - the additional darkness is intentional and caused by ELFX - Enhancer. It's the same thing I was talking about a few pages back, and sounds like the same situation.

Edited by Shadriss
  • +1 1

For the most part my interiors have been looking great with the LotD guide setup--the only exceptions of note that leap to mind are The Winking Skeever in Solitude being incredibly dark without turning on my own light, and--unfortunately--the Safehouse for the museum is less dark and more just uniformly 'blandly gray' for lighting, apart from a few motes of light sources here and there.

Edited by Baubledorst

For the most part my interiors have been looking great with the LotD guide setup--the only exceptions of note that leap to mind are The Winking Skeever in Solitude being incredibly dark without turning on my own light, and--unfortunately--the Safehouse for the museum is less dark and more just uniformly 'blandly gray' for lighting, apart from a few motes of light sources here and there.

Lighting is very much a person-to-person experience. As an example (and I know I'm not in the majority on this), my system is in my living room (lots of ambient light sources) displayed on a 60' LED TV (which can throw contrast and brightness values out the window on occasion) using HDMI (which may or may not be better or worse than Direct Display or any other connection type). All of these things (and quite a few others, such as display calibration) contribute to how we see things on the screen. On top of that, everyone's eyes are a bit different as well - we literally see things differently. The guide does a fantastic job of creating settings that the majority of people can work with. There are some few, however, that require adjustment of some kind. In my case (and seemingly the other's as well), a large portion of interior spaces are simply too dark to effectively play the game. *shrug*

Unfortunately, there aren't a whole lot of options for dealing with it. I've detailed one in my previous response, and another would be to remove ELFX. The real problem with the latter is that it's a master in a few of the conflict resolution patches Lexy provides, and many of us don't have the skills to remove the ELFX master. Idealy (in my mind, though I think Lexy would not wish to do this, nor would I want her to unless she was willing), a version of the patches without the ELFX would be a good idea. That said, ELFX is listed as Core, so it makes sense that she doesn't as well.

Like many others, I like the idea behind ELFX - it does make the lighting more realistic. That said, there is another thing to keep in mind where reality vs. gameplay is concerned - reality for the sake of reality doesn't add to gameplay. When reality impinges on the game to the extent where it becomes overly difficult to play (I can't defend myself against what I can't see, but lighting myself up means I can't stealth either, as an example), you should be willing to give up reality a little to maintain the fun of gameplay.

ANYHOW, to wind down the small rant (and with apologies to Lexy and everyone else), I like the idea behind ELFX, but I also think it went slightly overboard in it's implementation... some of us don't see in the dark all that well.

• +1 3

ANYHOW, to wind down the small rant

Great rant, thank you. I agree completely. I have a desktop pc with a 24" LCD screen that has a very bright image and helps me play with dark settings; but when I'm using my 17" laptop I constantly feel many places are very dark, even storms during the day may be too dark at times.

I also think that not only gameplay, but, sometimes, "dramatic" atmosphere is damaged by ELFX's removal of ambient light. Have you ever wandered into a large cave with a follower who commented something like "wow, have you ever seen anything like this?" but all you see around you is pitch black darkness? Some caves are worth seeing in all their spacious glory, no matter if realism has to give way, to some extent.

That's essentially my feel - again, I have nothing against the mod or it's inclusion... I do wish it had been an optional mod with alternate patches provided for those who don't wish for it. But, since it isn't and they weren't, ENB brightness adjustment will have to do. I just don't trust my skills (such as they are) in SSEEdit to remove masters and adjust patches - that knowledge is out of my abilities for the moment.

removing ELFX is not the difficult it just a matter of using the report Masters script and removing the record it coming back with.

With that said there maybe a possibility that ELFX could go but i also one of the thing the requre a bit of work on my part and at the moment I have other more important issues I need to deal with.

Not ELE - the additional darkness is intentional and caused by ELFX - Enhancer. It's the same thing I was talking about a few pages back, and sounds like the same situation.

It shouldn't be caused by ELFX-Enhancer since it's not part of the guide.  If you're using Enhancer you're going to have seriously dark interiors.

removing ELFX is not the difficult it just a matter of using the report Masters script and removing the record it coming back with.

With that said there maybe a possibility that ELFX could go but i also one of the thing the requre a bit of work on my part and at the moment I have other more important issues I need to deal with.

Hey Lexy, I'm back at Skyrim!  Please don't drop ELFX, it adds so much to the ambiance.  I've played with a few other ENBS and your recommendation of PhoenixVivid is my favorite but I noticed it also has the darkest interiors.  Maybe you could recommend a different ENB for those who prefer a more lit interior.  Re-Engaged and Intrigued both fit that bill.

All fair enough - as I think I mentioned (and if I didn't, my apologies, 'cause I was certainly thinking it...) I don't really expect you to react to this at all. I am a single person, and guide is serving quite a few more people than me. I've made my case, but in the end this guide is YOURS, and I expect it to serve nobody except you. Heck, you even tell us at the beginning that this is a real technical build, and that its not recommended if you don't have a bit of savvy with the tools.

If you do decide to remove ELFX, I would of course support it - I would also support you if you choose to keep it. I'm not wanting to create work for you simply because I suck with xEdit. :)

It shouldn't be caused by ELFX-Enhancer since it's not part of the guide.  If you're using Enhancer you're going to have seriously dark interiors.

I went back and checked the guide, and you are right... now I wonder if I put my build together right or not. I'll have to check when I get back home. I'm so used to people only using the Enhancer in the guide that I may have mind-blanked and done it that way instead of the correct one, which would definitely have created the issues I'm speaking of. Thanks for this, and I'll check on it when I get home later.

Looking at the guide instructions though, I'm pretty sure I did do this right... after all, if I didn't, I would have missing masters and wouldn't be able to play at all. All that said, regardless of the enhancer portion or not, ELFX makes the game significantly darker, and my original points above will still stand. I likely went to the Enhancer explanation because, as I mentioned, I'm just used to that being in the lineup if ELFX is... so I still believe it to be the source of the problems described as opposed to a bad ELE merge.

Edited by Shadriss

Why do I feel like I started a holy war?

So for clarity: Not asking for it's removal - just explained why some people might want it. There is a way to do it on our own if we wanted to, and the mod is listed as Core, so it shouldn't be a surprise that stuff relies on it. I'm surprised Lexy even indicated it might go away... if it's what she wants in the lineup, it should stay. All I was doing was clarifying why some feel it makes the environment too dark, and the options for it's removal (with a side rant on my personal feelings that, honestly, was somewhat irrelevant) since it seemed some people felt it was too dark. 

Why do I feel like I started a holy war?

So for clarity: Not asking for it's removal - just explained why some people might want it. There is a way to do it on our own if we wanted to, and the mod is listed as Core, so it shouldn't be a surprise that stuff relies on it. I'm surprised Lexy even indicated it might go away... if it's what she wants in the lineup, it should stay. All I was doing was clarifying why some feel it makes the environment too dark, and the options for it's removal (with a side rant on my personal feelings that, honestly, was somewhat irrelevant) since it seemed some people felt it was too dark. 

Don't worry you haven't started any war and yes even my Wife has said certain areas are a bit too dark she mention that if she was to rip out ELFX what would she replace it with and she is unsure. She also moans about Immersive Citizen Compatibility and has said she was done with it but she ripped that out yet either. Lighting and ENB have always been very difficult cos they're so subjective and depends on individual play styles. I do agree over playability and realism.

My question would be if ELFX was to go what would replace it? cos there really are only 3 choices ELFX or RLO or Relighting Skyrim.