Lexy's: Legacy of The Dragonborn Special Edition

Trees are taller than their LOD would suggest. Well, most trees. There are some that do line up OK (SFO trees), but there are also some where the difference is too significant and jarring to ignore. Others have what looks like completely wrong looking billboards for the tree model.

https://imgur.com/a/RlSo9BX

It's better if you open each image a new tab to see the difference better for some of them.

Are you using any other tree mods?  You installed SFO, Enhanced trees and ET Lods exactly as the guide states?

Hi, I finished the guide for the first time and the results are amazing but I have a few game breaking issues I don't know how to fix.

1. When moving textures become grainy and flicker/move. This is especially noticeable in groundcovers and trees.https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=HHh4r7jcZns

2. Extremely bright and unnatural lights from all light sources at night. https://imgur.com/jWD91ia

3. Fast traveling to or walking to windhelm results in ctd

Edited by mcos123

It seems there is a minor bug (or at least it seems minor to me) between Interesting NPCs and the unique name generator of KS Dragon Overhaul, or at least I think it's KS Dragon Overhaul. Whenever I go to the Shrine to Talos (south of Gallows Rock), Interesting NPCs makes Meresine spawn there where you got near the shrine. Only she doesn't have Meresine as name, but a dragon name. Each time I reload a save before encountering her, she spawns with a random dragon name. Also, this seems to break her combat style: she is capable of shouting and doesn't use her bow, but other than her name and combat there is no game breaking bug. Or at least it seems so to me.

Are you using any other tree mods?  You installed SFO, Enhanced trees and ET Lods exactly as the guide states?

None at all. I specifically removed every single mod but those tree mods, just to be sure it's not anything else. I've gone through the guide over a dozen times now re-installing the tree section, re-running my LOD. I'm willing to accept that I could have done something out of order once, but a dozen times? That type of dysfunction would be affecting me in my day to day life and I just don't have that.

Looking at those pics, the aspens at least appear to be two completely different tree types - they don't look even close to the same. I know you said you've made sure of your install in a word-by-word fashion, but I have to wonder if you missed a download somewhere. I certainly haven't seen anything like that... a couple foot difference between pine trees sure, but not trees that don't look remotely like each other.

I've gone through the guide too many times to miss something at this point. It's not like I go off memory after reading it once, I'm reading it every single time word by word just to make sure and verifying twice what I'm doing before I do it. Comparing versions, even copy pasting the name of the file I'm supposed be downloading while doing a ctrl+f on the download tab on the mod page just so I have a nice big highlight of the one I'm supposed to be downloading.

I think I'm just giving up at this point and removing any tree mods and going back to vanilla trees. There's only so many times I can re-install and re-run things with the same settings over and over hoping I get a different result. 

The annoying thing is Skyrim 3D trees works great and has absolutely perfect LOD -> model transitions. No height differences or anything. Too bad I don't like the way it looks and the performance hit is too much for me.

Edited by zerohaste

1. Could this possibly be a v-sync issue? I had pretty bad screen tearing and solved it by forcing v-sync on the graphics card and in the enblocal.ini as well as lowering my FPS cap to 40.0. I have not seen this kind of pixellation before however.

2. That has to be a lighting mod issue. I would make a fresh test profile and start installing lighting mods one by one.

3. For me, a CTD around Windhelm usually is caused by a snow mod. Did you make sure to install Better Dynamic Snow correctly? If you have any other snow texture mods that could be the problem, although I can't remember which one was the culprit for me.

Hi, I finished the guide for the first time and the results are amazing but I have a few game breaking issues I don't know how to fix.

1. When moving textures become grainy and flicker/move. This is especially noticeable in groundcovers and trees.https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=HHh4r7jcZns

2. Extremely bright and unnatural lights from all light sources at night. https://imgur.com/jWD91ia

3. Fast traveling to or walking to windhelm results in ctd

None at all. I specifically removed every single mod but those tree mods, just to be sure it's not anything else. I've gone through the guide over a dozen times now re-installing the tree section, re-running my LOD. I'm willing to accept that I could have done something out of order once, but a dozen times? That type of dysfunction would be affecting me in my day to day life and I just don't have that.

I've gone through the guide too many times to miss something at this point. It's not like I go off memory after reading it once, I'm reading it every single time word by word just to make sure and verifying twice what I'm doing before I do it. Comparing versions, even copy pasting the name of the file I'm supposed be downloading while doing a ctrl+f on the download tab on the mod page just so I have a nice big highlight of the one I'm supposed to be downloading.

I think I'm just giving up at this point and removing any tree mods and going back to vanilla trees. There's only so many times I can re-install and re-run things with the same settings over and over hoping I get a different result. 

The annoying thing is Skyrim 3D trees works great and has absolutely perfect LOD -> model transitions. No height differences or anything. Too bad I don't like the way it looks and the performance hit is too much for me.

A random thought - have you also multi-checked the DynDOLOD and xLOD settings? As in reset them to default and verified the changed settings... I know one setting relates to trees, and is on by default. If you turned that off (because the instructions don't tell you to have it ticked) that may result in this. That section tells you to tick things, so the way it's written could be interpreted as 'if it's not mentioned, it shouldn't be ticked' when it should be read as 'tick these off in addition to what's already ticked by default'.

A random thought - have you also multi-checked the DynDOLOD and xLOD settings? As in reset them to default and verified the changed settings... I know one setting relates to trees, and is on by default. If you turned that off (because the instructions don't tell you to have it ticked) that may result in this. That section tells you to tick things, so the way it's written could be interpreted as 'if it's not mentioned, it shouldn't be ticked' when it should be read as 'tick these off in addition to what's already ticked by default'.

Yeah, I check those settings every time I run them. The setup window is small enough for me to have the instructions open with the window just above, so I check every single item to make sure nothing is unchecked or incorrect. I also deleted everything LOD related and re-installed all programs from fresh downloads just to make sure and it was still the same. I never disabled or changed anything that was already checked unless told to.

I just ran DynDOLOD again just now, this time clicking the High preset option instead of Medium like the guide says... and everything was perfect. The correct LODs were used, the transitions were perfect, the height matched perfectly; it looked like it should. This is after deleted the game and re-installed. So I thought maybe that was it, something screwed up in my SSE folder. Nope, re-ran it with Medium and it's back to the wrong LODs like the screenshots I took earlier. So I guess I just need to figure out all tree related changes between Medium and High and make some sort of hybrid setting, even though I'm pretty sure this shouldn't be necessary to do.

Really makes me wish I had an old version of DynDOLOD to at least test on my system.

Edited by zerohaste

A few question about mods and plugins listed in modwatch of Lexy's.
1. MajesticMountains_Landscape.esm has not listed in plugins list. Should i uncheck/delete the .esm?
2. AHZmoreHUDInventory.esl is listed, but in the guide has spoken to install the loose version. Should i re-install the no-loose version?

3. Dawnguard and Clan Volkihar EpiloguesBetter Stealth AI for Followers are listed in modlist, shoul i install it?

Yeah, I check those settings every time I run them. The setup window is small enough for me to have the instructions open with the window just above, so I check every single item to make sure nothing is unchecked or incorrect. I also deleted everything LOD related and re-installed all programs from fresh downloads just to make sure and it was still the same. I never disabled or changed anything that was already checked unless told to.

I just ran DynDOLOD again just now, this time clicking the High preset option instead of Medium like the guide says... and everything was perfect. The correct LODs were used, the transitions were perfect, the height matched perfectly; it looked like it should. This is after deleted the game and re-installed. So I thought maybe that was it, something screwed up in my SSE folder. Nope, re-ran it with Medium and it's back to the wrong LODs like the screenshots I took earlier. So I guess I just need to figure out all tree related changes between Medium and High and make some sort of hybrid setting, even though I'm pretty sure this shouldn't be necessary to do.

Really makes me wish I had an old version of DynDOLOD to at least test on my system.

Yeah, I play on high settings.  I assume nobody has this problem with medium settings but I don't know first hand.

1. Could this possibly be a v-sync issue? I had pretty bad screen tearing and solved it by forcing v-sync on the graphics card and in the enblocal.ini as well as lowering my FPS cap to 40.0. I have not seen this kind of pixellation before however.

2. That has to be a lighting mod issue. I would make a fresh test profile and start installing lighting mods one by one.

3. For me, a CTD around Windhelm usually is caused by a snow mod. Did you make sure to install Better Dynamic Snow correctly? If you have any other snow texture mods that could be the problem, although I can't remember which one was the culprit for me.

Thanks for the response I fixed the night lighting issue. I tested the lighting mods but the problem persisted with none active. It turns out I messed up changing the enb bloom settings during the phoenix enb installation instructions. I'm still having the issues with the grainy textures affecting groundcover/trees and the windhelm ctd. Also, I found  problems with the tree lods, one of which I think is the tree popping described in the troubleshooting and some trees appear to have no lods at all. Maybe I messed up during dyndolod process. Could running dyndolod again possibly fix this issue?

Edited by mcos123

A few question about mods and plugins listed in modwatch of Lexy's.

1. MajesticMountains_Landscape.esm has not listed in plugins list. Should i uncheck/delete the .esm?

2. AHZmoreHUDInventory.esl is listed, but in the guide has spoken to install the loose version. Should i re-install the no-loose version?

3. Dawnguard and Clan Volkihar EpiloguesBetter Stealth AI for Followers are listed in modlist, shoul i install it?

Using Lexy's modwatch at the moment to bounce things off of is likely not a good idea - she and the dev team are working on an update to the guide, so it's likely shifting a lot just at the moment. So, in order...

1) NO. Leave it on, or the merge that uses the other file wont work either. ESMs should NEVER be turned off unless specifically mentioned, as the case with the SSE Tamriel esm file.

2) Until the guide changes, leave it loose.

3) Leave them out for the moment, unless you know how to deal with the CR related issues. Those are about to be added to the guide, but haven't been accounted for in the CR patches just yet.

• +1 1

Using Lexy's modwatch at the moment to bounce things off of is likely not a good idea - she and the dev team are working on an update to the guide, so it's likely shifting a lot just at the moment. So, in order...

1) NO. Leave it on, or the merge that uses the other file wont work either. ESMs should NEVER be turned off unless specifically mentioned, as the case with the SSE Tamriel esm file.

2) Until the guide changes, leave it loose.

3) Leave them out for the moment, unless you know how to deal with the CR related issues. Those are about to be added to the guide, but haven't been accounted for in the CR patches just yet.

Despite the warning to not sort plugins with LOOT after Running xEdit Scripts (The Great Equalizer), I accidentally do it, and it's work's fine with no CDT's until now. It's a normal behavior or not? Just wondering the reasons to not use LOOT after the scripts.

Mostly, it's to ensure that the files created after that point end up at the end in a certain order. As a generality, it shouldn't matter over-much as long as the final files are the Bashed Patch, Smashed Patch, zPatch, and DynDOLOD, in that order. The Great Equalizer should already have been rolled into the Bashed Patch, and so long as you did your 'accidental sorting' after the Bashed Patch was done, there shouldn't be any huge impacts.

I still get occasional CTDs... it's just part of the Skyrim Experience as far as I can tell. :)

Edited by Shadriss

Yeah, I play on high settings.  I assume nobody has this problem with medium settings but I don't know first hand.

Yeah, I basically had to create a hybrid setting to fix this.

Final update on it: I was looking through the EVT nexus page under Docs and came across this image buried in the instructions which basically confirmed what I had to do. I changed the tree line outlined in black to make the Medium setting match what the High setting would have done and that seems to have fixed the issue. Other than that tree setting, I followed the LOTD SSE guide as normal for all other settings.

I don't remember this issue with any version of DynDOLOD before 2.43 but I just can't check it. I know I never had to mess with individual settings like this for objects to get my trees working before.

Edited by zerohaste

For the trees, have you made sure that you've kept the mods from the Trees and Flora merge active? Enhanced Landscapes Marsh Pines and Oaks Standalone both need to be checked and active even though they're also part of a merge. If those textures aren't active, you'll run into all kinds of trouble with trees and tree LOD.

Thanks for the response I fixed the night lighting issue. I tested the lighting mods but the problem persisted with none active. It turns out I messed up changing the enb bloom settings during the phoenix enb installation instructions. I'm still having the issues with the grainy textures affecting groundcover/trees and the windhelm ctd. Also, I found  problems with the tree lods, one of which I think is the tree popping described in the troubleshooting and some trees appear to have no lods at all. Maybe I messed up during dyndolod process. Could running dyndolod again possibly fix this issue?