17 replies to this topic

#1 Darth_mathias

Darth_mathias

Dragon King

• Pack Authors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,084 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 02:16 PM

Vortex - Limited Alpha Release is released https://www.nexusmod...tion/mods/14987

#2 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,508 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 09:26 PM

Vortex - Limited Alpha Release is released https://www.nexusmod...tion/mods/14987

Yep, I managed to grab a copy and will be putting it through the ringer with a STEP install.

#3 Rebel47

Rebel47

Commander

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 10:40 PM

Be good to know what your opinion of Vortex is after you've had a good run through with it Tech.

I would have grabbed it but I know I can't dedicate that much time to fully testing it out the way the team wants.

#4 Neovalen

Neovalen

Talos

• Mod Authors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,678 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 02:51 AM

Well damn, missed it.

#5 Razorsedge877

Razorsedge877

Jarl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 07:11 PM

I Downloaded Vortex and wish I hadn't. Its still early and maybe the official release will be better. I find it confusing to navigate. Kind of like I thought the old nexus site was easier to navigate. 

#6 Neovalen

Neovalen

Talos

• Mod Authors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,678 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 01:30 AM

I Downloaded Vortex and wish I hadn't. Its still early and maybe the official release will be better. I find it confusing to navigate. Kind of like I thought the old nexus site was easier to navigate. 

I know exactly what you mean in regards to the nexus site.... i miss the old one.

#7 Razorsedge877

Razorsedge877

Jarl

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 06:37 AM

I have slow internet. One example of a bad design is that before you could just click changelog to view it, now you have to click logs/changelog. Why is it a better design to make me wait for 2 pages to load.

#8 Neovalen

Neovalen

Talos

• Mod Authors
  • 5,678 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 12:50 AM

Vortex - full alpha release is out now.  Re-installed Skyrim SSE to give it a shot.... looks decent thus far but I haven't done any advanced modding yet. Was easy to pick up and use. That in mind, Skyrim feels like a dinosaur without mods... lol.

#9 baronaatista

baronaatista

Jarl

• Members
  • 569 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 02:33 AM

I'm testing it out with Oblivion right now, for kicks.  Installing into the data folder scares me!  I personally like the streamlined interface, but I so miss MO... MO2 still has some issues, but is generally so much easier and less stressful than this... I'm gonna keep working with it, but honestly at the moment I think I even like Wrye Bash better as a mod manager.

#10 SparrowPrince

SparrowPrince

High King

• Mod Authors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 06:51 AM

Is it weird that my only thought was that the jagged red curtains look like melting plastic and that they aren't casting shadows on the 90's FMV wooden floor?

#11 Mator

Mator

Jarl

• Mod Authors
  • 613 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 03:53 PM

Is it weird that my only thought was that the jagged red curtains look like melting plastic and that they aren't casting shadows on the 90's FMV wooden floor?

It's not a great image, that's for sure.  Fairly amateurish.

#12 baronaatista

baronaatista

Jarl

• Members
  • 569 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 07:06 PM

Plugins tab is crashing for Oblivion and Fallout 3 at the moment apparently...

That being said the more I poke around the more I'm getting over my initial distaste.  I think it was mostly just the unfamiliarity.  One thing I can't quite figure is if there is any way to see file conflicts with installed mods?  I know it stores the 'installed' mod in the 'Mods' folder in the base game folder, and that I can preview and alter the contents of installed mods before I 'deploy' them into my data folder... but I can't see any way to compare those files against my other mods, whether installed or deployed.  I haven't installed many mods yet as I'm just trying to familiarize with the program... am I missing something?

#13 Neovalen

Neovalen

Talos

• Mod Authors
  • 5,678 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 11:53 PM

Plugins tab is crashing for Oblivion and Fallout 3 at the moment apparently...

That being said the more I poke around the more I'm getting over my initial distaste.  I think it was mostly just the unfamiliarity.  One thing I can't quite figure is if there is any way to see file conflicts with installed mods?  I know it stores the 'installed' mod in the 'Mods' folder in the base game folder, and that I can preview and alter the contents of installed mods before I 'deploy' them into my data folder... but I can't see any way to compare those files against my other mods, whether installed or deployed.  I haven't installed many mods yet as I'm just trying to familiarize with the program... am I missing something?

I can't find any option for conflict detection either.... can open the mods in file manager but thats it. No virtual file structure type menu anywhere like in MO. Have a feeling that is a feature not implemented yet in this alpha release.

#14 baronaatista

baronaatista

Jarl

• Members
  • 569 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 12:15 AM

I certainly hope it’s coming, and that there could be a way to hide selected files/folders as well.

I like the notes option in the mods tab a lot though. I always wind up doing these big complicated installs with custom merges or tweaks... can get wonky to keep track of, especially if I come back to it after having been away for a while.

#15 SparrowPrince

SparrowPrince

High King

• Mod Authors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 02:40 AM

It's not a great image, that's for sure.  Fairly amateurish.

Especially when there's probably a billion other better stock photos that cost peanuts. Hell, they could have just stuck a spotlight in the middle of the current one and DOF'd the rest out. 

I certainly hope it’s coming, and that there could be a way to hide selected files/folders as well.

I like the notes option in the mods tab a lot though. I always wind up doing these big complicated installs with custom merges or tweaks... can get wonky to keep track of, especially if I come back to it after having been away for a while.

So it's not as good as you had hoped? How far is it off the STEP Messiah MO? I'm having to ask as I only usually ever play with a small amount of mods in every game and mod managers are only slightly useful as a result. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users