Vortex - Limited Alpha Release

Darth_mathias

I Downloaded Vortex and wish I hadn't. Its still early and maybe the official release will be better. I find it confusing to navigate. Kind of like I thought the old nexus site was easier to navigate. 

I know exactly what you mean in regards to the nexus site.... i miss the old one.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm testing it out with Oblivion right now, for kicks.  Installing into the data folder scares me!  I personally like the streamlined interface, but I so miss MO... MO2 still has some issues, but is generally so much easier and less stressful than this... I'm gonna keep working with it, but honestly at the moment I think I even like Wrye Bash better as a mod manager.

Is it weird that my only thought was that the jagged red curtains look like melting plastic and that they aren't casting shadows on the 90's FMV wooden floor?

Plugins tab is crashing for Oblivion and Fallout 3 at the moment apparently...

That being said the more I poke around the more I'm getting over my initial distaste.  I think it was mostly just the unfamiliarity.  One thing I can't quite figure is if there is any way to see file conflicts with installed mods?  I know it stores the 'installed' mod in the 'Mods' folder in the base game folder, and that I can preview and alter the contents of installed mods before I 'deploy' them into my data folder... but I can't see any way to compare those files against my other mods, whether installed or deployed.  I haven't installed many mods yet as I'm just trying to familiarize with the program... am I missing something?

Plugins tab is crashing for Oblivion and Fallout 3 at the moment apparently...

That being said the more I poke around the more I'm getting over my initial distaste.  I think it was mostly just the unfamiliarity.  One thing I can't quite figure is if there is any way to see file conflicts with installed mods?  I know it stores the 'installed' mod in the 'Mods' folder in the base game folder, and that I can preview and alter the contents of installed mods before I 'deploy' them into my data folder... but I can't see any way to compare those files against my other mods, whether installed or deployed.  I haven't installed many mods yet as I'm just trying to familiarize with the program... am I missing something?

I can't find any option for conflict detection either.... can open the mods in file manager but thats it. No virtual file structure type menu anywhere like in MO. Have a feeling that is a feature not implemented yet in this alpha release.

I certainly hope it’s coming, and that there could be a way to hide selected files/folders as well.

I like the notes option in the mods tab a lot though. I always wind up doing these big complicated installs with custom merges or tweaks... can get wonky to keep track of, especially if I come back to it after having been away for a while.

It's not a great image, that's for sure.  Fairly amateurish.

Especially when there's probably a billion other better stock photos that cost peanuts. Hell, they could have just stuck a spotlight in the middle of the current one and DOF'd the rest out. 

I certainly hope it’s coming, and that there could be a way to hide selected files/folders as well.

I like the notes option in the mods tab a lot though. I always wind up doing these big complicated installs with custom merges or tweaks... can get wonky to keep track of, especially if I come back to it after having been away for a while.

So it's not as good as you had hoped? How far is it off the STEP Messiah MO? I'm having to ask as I only usually ever play with a small amount of mods in every game and mod managers are only slightly useful as a result.