• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 axonis

axonis

Prisoner

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 01:45 PM

To support users of my UI mod for Fallout 3 and New Vegas, I often ask them to provide me a screenshot of their problem and a link to an archive of their Data\Menus folder. Mod Organizer users can’t do the latter because that folder is empty on their game. That’s because MO works by enabling the installed mod file structure for the running game only.

I’ve tested, with success, the following idea to provide them with the option to access their Data folder as the game sees it. I’m posting this here because I think it can be a useful tool in some troubleshooting scenarios.

7-zip must be installed and we’ll pretend that 7zip is our game’s executable. To do this, click on the executable menu, select <edit...>, set a Title, set the Binary to C:\Program Files\7-Zip\7zFM.exe (or wherever you've installed 7zip), leave Start In empty, and set Arguments to your game's Data path.

Now all you need to do is run the command you’ve created and you can now see your Data folder as the game sees it. 7-zip allows all normal file operations, including the useful function of compressing folders for support, troubleshooting etc.

#2 Kelmych

Kelmych

Dragon King

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,949 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 05:26 PM

Thanks for the tip. I didn't realize that 7-zip could do this.

#3 GrantSP

GrantSP

The antipodean

• Super Moderators
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 08:15 PM

The manual has a tip for using FreeCommander which will also provides exactly the same thing.

In addition you can also call cmd.exe, AKA a console session, and browse the folder structure that way.

In fact any 32bit file manager or command console will provide this information if called from within MO.

#4 axonis

axonis

Prisoner

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 01:04 AM

Is there a manual for Mod Organizer ? Where can I find it ?

I did this using 64bit 7zip with MO 2.1

#5 axonis

axonis

Prisoner

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 01:53 AM

OK, I've just realized that the STEP Wiki for the Mod Organizer *is* the manual.

However search engines will never point a web search like "see the contents of the game's Data folder in MO" to this section I think. It would be better if the phrase "see the virtual filing system of MO in action, for example to test if MO is working correctly" would lead the section.

#6 GrantSP

GrantSP

The antipodean

• Super Moderators
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 06:57 PM

The manual is also linked from inside MO's UI by clicking the link to the help manual: Question mark icon -- Documentation wiki.

#7 Hackerpcs

Hackerpcs

Citizen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 07:53 PM

With 64 bit only games like Fallout 4, FreeCommander free 32bit version isn't compatible (64bit version is available only to donors) but any 64bit file manager like 7zip or Total Commander works instead

Edited by Hackerpcs, 10 July 2018 - 07:54 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users