Question about where to put merged patch in load order?

lv4321

Question

So i created a merged patch after adding some mods and I know that you should put the merged patch LAST in the order. However, should you put it last in your load order even under plugins not included in the merged patch? Esp. mods that state to not include them in a merged patch?

6 answers to this question

I don't think you need to worry about if you are using the latest version of LOOT with Fallout 3. The latest LOOT masterlist I'm looking at for Fallout 3 sets Merged Patch.esp and Bashed Patch, 0.esp at priority 80 so both will fall to the bottom of the load order. It also has a rule to load Bashed Patch, 0.esp after Merged Patch.esp.

Note that the LOOT's masterlist for Fallout New Vegas sets the priority of Bashed Patch, 0.esp to 80 but it does not have any rules for Merged Patch.esp. In this case, you'll want to add a rule to set the priority of Merged Patch.esp to 80. You'll also need to add another rule to load Bashed Patch, 0.esp after Merged Patch.esp once you create the bashed patch.

I don't think you need to worry about if you are using the latest version of LOOT with Fallout 3. The latest LOOT masterlist I'm looking at for Fallout 3 sets Merged Patch.esp and Bashed Patch, 0.esp at priority 80 so both will fall to the bottom of the load order. It also has a rule to load Bashed Patch, 0.esp after Merged Patch.esp.

Note that the LOOT's masterlist for Fallout New Vegas sets the priority of Bashed Patch, 0.esp to 80 but it does not have any rules for Merged Patch.esp. In this case, you'll want to add a rule to set the priority of Merged Patch.esp to 80. You'll also need to add another rule to load Bashed Patch, 0.esp after Merged Patch.esp once you create the bashed patch.

Ok tbh, the statements you are giving me are confusing so let me just provide you my fallout 3 load order and try to show you what I'm talking about.

https://pastebin.com/q9hNUvQR

The last five mods before the merged patch ARE not included in the patch (due to author stating not to include them into the patch). Would i put the merged patch above those "unmerged plugins"? or just leave it as it is

And I manually configured the load order according to the readme's of each plugin

Yes, I see the source of the confusion now. The answers I provided above are for the generalized cases in which you are installing a set of mods and then create a merged patch and a bashed patch over the bulk of the plugins in the load order. In your specific case, Arwen Realism Tweaks is significantly more complex and the mod author states it is incompatible with a lot of mods. I would start with the basic load order provided in Arwen_Compatibility_Patches.txt (in the main mod folder after you install the mod) as it appears you've already done.

If you are creating a merged patch and/or a bashed patch, you'll need to asses the overrides in xEdit to determine where to place these plugins in relation to the merged patch and bashed patch and it may be best to put these plugins after the merged patch and bashed patch, but you'll need to balance this to ensure the core plugins (listed in Arwen_Compatibility_Patches.txt) are in the correct order. Unfortunately, Arwen is a really complex mod and is beyond my skill level. Hopefully one of the masters is familiar with this mod and can pop by offer sound advice.