How to fix it? Distant trees lod

SeveN085

Question

15 answers to this question

Install the correct billboards for the load order as explained in the manual. Generate LOD. Then install the generated LOD, overwriting everything in the load order.

I followed the manual and I think I did everything correctly 

here's my MO left panel

NBSJuun.jpg

Did i miss something ?

9FGOD

9FGOD

FAQ: Tree LOD: LOD trees do not match close-up full model trees

A: Doublecheck billboards and billboard load order. Open console, click on full model tree to get form id like 000185C7. Lookup this FormID top left in xEdit, bringing up the tree reference in the right pane. Find the form id of the 'NAME - Base', like TreeAspen01 [TREE:0006A9E6]. Search in Textures\Terrain\LODGen\ subfolders for files with that number, like TreeAspen01_0006A9E6.dds and TreeAspen01_0006A9E6.txt. Replace files with correct versions.

The log will detail which tree uses which billboard, just search the log for the base form id of a tree to easily find it.

FAQ: Tree LOD: LOD trees textures cut off mid-way

A: The tree texture atlas like Textures\Terrain\Tamriel\Trees\TamrielTreeLod.dds does not belong to the generated tree LOD in Meshes\Terrain\Tamriel\Trees\*.*

A: Verify that the tree texture atlas Textures\Terrain\Tamriel\Trees\TamrielTreeLod.dds and the tree LOD in Meshes\Terrain\Tamriel\Trees\*.* are the ones from the DynDOLOD output folder and from the same LOD generation process and none of the files are overwritten by other mods.

Edited by sheson

FAQ: Tree LOD: LOD trees textures cut off mid-way

A: The tree texture atlas like Textures\Terrain\Tamriel\Trees\TamrielTreeLod.dds does not belong to the generated tree LOD in Meshes\Terrain\Tamriel\Trees\*.*

A: Verify that the tree texture atlas Textures\Terrain\Tamriel\Trees\TamrielTreeLod.dds and the tree LOD in Meshes\Terrain\Tamriel\Trees\*.* are the ones from the DynDOLOD output folder and from the same LOD generation process and none of the files are overwritten by other mods.

I checked this, and both textures and meshes are from my dyndolod output, nothing overwrites them.

FAQ: Tree LOD: LOD trees do not match close-up full model trees

A: Doublecheck billboards and billboard load order. Open console, click on full model tree to get form id like 000185C7. Lookup this FormID top left in xEdit, bringing up the tree reference in the right pane. Find the form id of the 'NAME - Base', like TreeAspen01 [TREE:0006A9E6]. Search in Textures\Terrain\LODGen\ subfolders for files with that number, like TreeAspen01_0006A9E6.dds and TreeAspen01_0006A9E6.txt. Replace files with correct versions.

The log will detail which tree uses which billboard, just search the log for the base form id of a tree to easily find it.

Alright so here it is :

this tree

JPHxnPn.jpg

Here it is in tes5edit

oUwZf4G.jpg

But I have problems with next step, where do I search those textures - "Search in Textures\Terrain\LODGen\ subfolders for files with that number," in my dyndolod output or somewhere else? Because in dyndolod output I only have "Textures\Terrain\Tamriel\Trees" and TamrielTreeLod.dds inside, there's no LODGen folder.

Billboards are LOD resources that are installed to the game data folder / mod manager equivalent. So you need to look them up in the game data folder.

I found them and lod file look correct in dds file

BAd7fih.png

PK1AGGA.png

So what do I do next ?

The screenshot seems to show some kind of Aspen LOD textures instead of Pines.

Assuming you are using traditional 2D tree LOD, the only possible way how tree LOD textures can show up in the game is from the tree LOD texture atlas, which is hardcoded to Textures\Terrain\Tamriel\Trees\TamrielTreeLod.dds.

If the trees textures do not match, the tree LOD atlas texture is wrong for the tree LOD "meshes". There are no other reasons possible for traditional 2D tree LOD to be wrong.

If those are 3D tree LODs then you need to verify the nifs that are used for LOD4, they are also listed in the DynDOLOD log.

Edited by sheson

I have no idea what you or the mod manager are doing. You are the only one that can verify that the tree LOD texture atlas that is used by the game is the one generated by DynDOLOD/xLODGen for the current load order.

So, I can only repeat what I already wrote earlier:

I have no idea what you or the mod manager are doing. You are the only one that can verify that the tree LOD texture atlas that is used by the game is the one generated by DynDOLOD/xLODGen for the current load order.

So, I can only repeat what I already wrote earlier:

As I said I already did that and nothing overwrites dyndolod output 

TamrielTreeLod is from dyndolod output

HzIEJep.jpg

Just in case but you probably already know it, red font means it is overwriting something, not that it's being overwrited.

All meshes all also from dyndolod output

aaWd4Nu.jpg

Also check the *.lst file in meshes and maybe consider posting the log file if you believe something is wrong with the generated files.

Edit: In addition check how many different trees/billboards are supposed to get LOD, if I remember right there is a limit of 256 for traditional tree LOD.

Edited by sheson

Also check the *.lst file in meshes and maybe consider posting the log file if you believe something is wrong with the generated files.

Edit: In addition check how many different trees/billboards are supposed to get LOD, if I remember right there is a limit of 256 for traditional tree LOD.

*lst file isn't overwrited either. 

Not sure if this helps but here's a close up made with TFC

xbnhLrU.jpg

The trees aren't even cut in half or have mismatched tree model, but it's more like the whole trees atlas itself is acting as a lod... really strange.

Edited by SeveN085

Alright, just as I thought it wasn't my fault and I did everything correctly. Now everything makes sense. The issue was wrong archiving option. I reinstalled my windows few days ago and downloaded the latest winrar version. When making an archive for MO to install, I always used basic "add to *folder name*" archive and it was working correctly, but with the latest version of winrar, after I made archive I would get

"none of the available installer plugins were able to handle that archive" error when trying to install it with MO. I googled this error and turned out you need to use "add to" and then select archiving method as "zip" - this indeed allowed MO to install it, but as we can see, in game there were issues because of it. Either zip method does something wrong with the files while compressing them or idk. Anyways I didn't need to download older version, instead luckly there's also a "RAR4" compress option. I used it on my output and finally both MO could install it AND in game the files were also detected and working properly. That's why my old output made before formatting was working correctly, because it was made with older version of winrar.