Odd semi-Distant Snow

Vanders

Question

Any idea why I'm getting this odd transition and bright snow. Snow Shader is off, and I have Blended Roads and Better Dyncamic Snow installed. I haven't experienced this issue before.

Sorry I couldn't post here, it kept saying the file was too large despite my previous post. 

Fine:

https://i.imgur.com/a3nI6KC.jpg

Not Fine: 

https://i.imgur.com/AflAtWl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/jAKS7Rx.jpg

11 answers to this question

Looks like vanilla Skryim SE.

The picture labeled "Fine" is not fine, as you can see darker patches of object LOD in the bright white terrain.

The vanilla terrain LOD textures simply do not match the loaded terrain textures in all weather conditions, the "improved" snow shader makes it worse.

So far my solution for this is to use use xLODGen terrain LOD texture generation without changing Brightness/Contrast/Gamma settings and then adjust the noise texture as explained in the first post, so it overall does not darken/brighten the terrain LOD.

Edited by sheson

Last two questions, if I've already got tree and object lods from DynDOLOD should I just untick the Trees/Object LOD section of lodgen? Also, maybe I'm just misunderstanding the wording on the lodgen page, where is the setting to change the noise texture if not Brightness, Contrast and Gamma?

Edited by Vanders

Last question, if I've already got tree lods from DynDOLOD should I just untick the Trees LOD section of lodgen?

You should uncheck both Object and Tree LOD generation in xLODGen if you want to keep the drastically improved object and tree LOD from DynDOLOD.

Sheson, any idea why my distant snow is so dark after using xLODGen? This happens no matter how high I set the brightness. 

https://i.imgur.com/klE2S2u.jpg

Also note the culling issue in the Sea of Ghosts - even with the TVDT records removed it still happens. Any ideas or will I have to live with this?

Edited by Vanders

If you didn't change any brightness/contrast/gamma setting you need to adjust the noise.dds texture so the terrain LOD textures are not too darkened to much. Or maybe the landscape snow textures were changed by a mod after LOD generation.

The game does not cull LOD when TVDT for the cell the player is currently in has no data. So either the cell the player is in still has (incorrect) TVDT data, or the LOD actually is missing from the BTR that should be loaded in distance.

Edited by sheson

Ok, so I have to adjust the noise.dds textures. How do I go about doing that? 

By the way, I have Terrain Lod Redone installed - which I installed first, then ran DynDOLOD, and then finally xLODGen. 

So all that is left from Terrain LOD Redone is the noise texture then, because the terrain LOD meshes and textures will be generated and overwritten by xLODGen.

To edit the Data\textures\terrain\noise.dds texture you need to use a program like Photoshop or Gimp.

I can't find noise.dds. Is that a generic name rather than a specific file? There are a tonne of dds files in Data\textures\terrain but no noise.dds.  

Regarding Terrain LOD Redone, does that mean I should install it last if I want to get any use out of it?

Edited by Vanders

I already gave the path and filename. It really is Data\textures\terrain\noise.dds

If you can not find it as a loose file, it means it is a BSA. You can use xEdit Asset Browser that is started with CTRL+F3 to find all sources and unpack it from any BSA that has it.

Terrain Lod Redone has a BSA. Loose files always overwrite all BSA. Obviously there is little use using pre-made terrain LOD meshes/textures if you generate them yourself for your load order.