Photo

Wiki is down

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#31 z929669

z929669

Ixian Inventor

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,274 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 12:16 PM

I'm still learning much of this as I go, but many of the templates I have previously used were copied from the "View Source" page from the main STEP Guide or other user contributions. Perhaps we could help create a few non SMW templates and encourage other users to refrain from using them as well. If we want to reduce the semantic media wiki table templates, I have a new simple html template I will be using, until someone creates a new better template to share with us. ;) 

The tables are identical when compared in preview:

Table: SMW {| |} = HTML <table></table>
Caption: SMW |+ = HTML <caption></caption>
Row: SMW |- = HTML <tr></tr>
Data cell: SMW | cell1 = HTML <td>cell1</td>
Header cell: SMW | cell2 = HTML <td>cell2</td>

HTML vs SMW Table Template

NOTE: the above are NOT SMW calls. They are standard Mediawiki templates. These are NOT an issue, so please keep using them.

AVOID use of inline HTML/CSS <-- while this may not necessarily directly impact performance (?), it is more difficult to maintain and use downstream, particularly when moving info from our current wiki pages into the upcoming CMS solution currently under dev

If anyone is reaching the template threshold for a single page, then it is best to break it up and span 2 or more separate pages by using either internal links or (maybe even better when talking a single 'article') ... subpages

Huge guide pages could be the real issue, especially if they are popular.

To mitigate these issues, I think it would be best if personal guide authors (or the current guide stewards) went into their guide articles and parsed them across 2 or more pages (beginning of article on current page, and maybe create one or more subpages where you can break up the rest and link them all together) ... they should all be using the same Categories this way if I remember correctly. You may need to get creative with the TOC, but I can't say offhand how TOC might be affected without actually tinkering around.

Until this is done, it may be difficult to work with our wiki outside of low-traffic hours (e.g., 12am-6am Central US time)

My judgement yesterday that the wiki seemed OK and that Diana's edit may have fixed was likely WRONG ... more likely, it was just a time of day when we had relatively low traffic to the site and those huge guide pages in particular.

EDIT: I finally found where s4n buried the server config files I needed to tweak. I made some changes that should reduce the 504 errors ... until we get some of the larger guides broken into subpages, the changes will only reduce the errors, and page load times should now take up to a minute before presenting 504, so just be patient.

EDIT2: I also modified some of the fpm pool variables, so we should not see nearly as much bottlenecking now (I hope)

#32 Decopauge123

Decopauge123

Thane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 02:44 PM

:unworthy: Thank You, ::):  z929669, for all :clap: your hard work! :thumbsup:

#33 Diana_TES_GotH

Diana_TES_GotH

Jarl

• Pack Authors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 03:04 PM

Very nice. I was just able to create a sub page for my guide. The meat of the main page will contain mostly the modlist. The subpage will contain any extended instructions. Hopefully this will help. If I need to break off with more subpages, I will gladly do so. Thank you z929669.  ::D: 

#34 z929669

z929669

Ixian Inventor

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,274 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 03:52 PM

Very nice. I was just able to create a sub page for my guide. The meat of the main page will contain mostly the modlist. The subpage will contain any extended instructions. Hopefully this will help. If I need to break off with more subpages, I will gladly do so. Thank you z929669.  ::D: 

If your guide was built using our Pack system on the wiki, then the 'heaviest' portion will be the mod tables ... same goes for any guide really. You might consider subbing out each different mod table in that case. Text takes no time at all to serve up.

Also, using links that open in other tabs could help, particularly when you are editing the guide. Imagine: user is looking at your guide (while you are in the midst of editing), user clicks a link on your guide, link replaces current browser content, you save your edit, user clicks 'back', user must reload entire page, since it has changed (or their local cache misses your changes, potentially ... can't get around that I suppose)

Thanks for breaking it up though. There are some slick ways to sub out your guide(s), so I encourage you to investigate some of the methods used elsewhere. I will try to find some examples ...

EDIT: See the {{ArchiveBox}} template on the wiki to see about ideas of how to enhance your breadcrumb and TOC on large guides broken up into smaller pages ... following is an example of what it looks like:

http://wiki.step-pro...Data_Dictionary

#35 Diana_TES_GotH

Diana_TES_GotH

Jarl

• Pack Authors
  • 641 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 05:21 PM

If your guide was built using our Pack system on the wiki, then the 'heaviest' portion will be the mod tables ... same goes for any guide really. You might consider subbing out each different mod table in that case. Text takes no time at all to serve up.

Understood, I will break each mod section up too. That actually makes sense, and will hopefully be less stressful for the users as well. Thank you again. I will research different ways to subpage each section, yet keep it appealing at the same time.

P.S. When the honey and I can afford it, I will try to contribute more towards my monthly subscription. I know every little bit helps, but you all deserve much more.

Edited by Diana_TES_GotH, 19 April 2018 - 05:24 PM.

#36 DarkladyLexy

DarkladyLexy

Dragon Prince

• Pack Authors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,490 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 05:23 PM

I have an idea on how to break mine up a bit more that should help elevate recent issues with the Wiki.

#37 Mator

Mator

Jarl

• Mod Authors
  • 581 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 06:00 PM

I have an idea on how to break mine up a bit more that should help elevate recent issues with the Wiki.

alleviate* I hope :)

#38 DarkladyLexy

DarkladyLexy

Dragon Prince

• Pack Authors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,490 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 06:05 PM

alleviate* I hope :)

yes, Mator I, of course, meant alleviate Spell and grammar checker failed me again damn you dyslexia.

#39 z929669

z929669

Ixian Inventor

• Administrators
  • 9,274 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 12:49 PM

P.S. When the honey and I can afford it, I will try to contribute more towards my monthly subscription. I know every little bit helps, but you all deserve much more.

Your current contributions as a site member and content contributor and poster on forums, etc. is all that we can hope for; although, we do appreciate any monetary support you are willing/able to provide ... it's not expected though ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users