WryeBash 307 Beta2 will not start after multiple reinstallations

lunamichelle

Question

We recently reinstalled Skyrim and updated the standalone WryeBash from an older version, but the new version does not run. We are running Vista SP 2, which we hope isn't relevant here.

Here's a bit more info. The first time that we installed 307 Beta2, we received an error message saying that some system file (I think MSVCRP140.DLL?) is missing and that the application cannot run, but WryeBash DID start. The error message also said that re-installing might resolve the problem. So we did, and didn't get the error message, but absolutely nothing happened when we started WryeBash. We then noticed in the installation notes that there were a number of dependencies (Python 27 related apps including comtypes), so we installed these dependencies, but still WB doesn't run. We then tried a bunch of things which all failed, including: re-starting the system, uninstalling and re-installing WB, setting Python.exe and PythonW.exe to run as Administrator, and running WryeBash.exe as Administrator.

Wre're HOPING that this isn't happening because we are using Vista SP 2, but if we have to use an older version of WryeBash, which one is the most recent that will work with Vista?

Thanks.

2 answers to this question

Don't everyone rush to help out here, but I just fixed it.  In case anyone else is having this problem with 307 Beta 2 or 3, here is what I did:

- Uninstalled the Microshaft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable  (although WB still didn't start after uninstalling this)

- Uninstalled WB 307 and installed 306.  

Then, it worked. Yay.

Here are some more details on this problem...

I upgraded to the Beta3, but WB still does not run, nor is any BashBugDump.log produced. Actually, wait - one IS produced, but it is 0 bytes.

Relevant stats for any developers who see this:

- Skyrim - newly reinstalled, newest version (not SE) with up-to-date SKSE
- Skyrim is installed on E:\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Skyrim (to get it out of C:\Program Files (x86))
- WryeBash is installed in E:\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Skyrim\Mopy
- I changed sOblivionMods in bash.ini to ;sOblivionMods=E:\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Skyrim Mods and sOblivionPath to sOblivionPath=E:\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Skyrim

Finally, I ran WB in DOS command mode, i.e., E:\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\skyrim\Mopy > "wrye bash.exe" -d

Here is what happened: User Account Control pulled up the "Do you want to run this as administrator?" warning, I said yes, then WB ran for about 3 seconds before the command prompt came up again. The time stamp on the bug dump log had changed, but it was 0 bytes.

Is this enough information that I can post this on Github?  If not, what am I missing?  Thanks.