DoubleYou

I have around 50 mods, I haven't been playing much lately but I ran the game the other day and it was smooth and stable. I thought I would apply Beth ini and I think I might have made some changes which might be problematic. I was wondering if there was any easy way to reverse any BEth ini changes so I can identify if this is the cause of the issue. I must also check that no other mods ( I installed some textures which applied some overwrites to SMIM and also Simply Bigger Trees). I uninstalled all the new mods but havent reinstalled SMIM as yet. I think though that the issue might be to do with Beth ini and altering the files and where I installed it. One massive boob I just realised, other than the one which matches my left boob (moob actually) is that I followed the MO instrucs but I run NMM. Oops. Is this a factor? 

A bit of diagnostic help would be appreciated. I know a bit about conflicts and have managed to build a nice stable mod infested version. I am not running an ENB at least not to my recollection. I am rusty which doesn't help. I thought you someone might be aware of a basic yeah you messed it up because of etc....

Here's hoping.

Thanks.

If you go to the My Documents\My Games\Skyrim folder you should see a folder named BackupINI that contains your original INI files.  I doubt BethINI is the cause of the problem, but this is the place to look if you want to restore the original INI files to rule it out.

That depends on the LOD setting, and it somewhat depends on the game. For instance, light LOD (Light Fade slider) appears to take up very little performance, and turning it up does not cause any issues, which is why I typically crank it way high. Object LOD (Object Fade slider), however, can cause a considerable performance hit. Tree LOD (Far-off Tree Distance drop-down) has been known to cause extreme macrostutters if set too high. Bad Distant Object Detail values can make z-fighting more prevalent while not really improving the picture very much at high values.

I'll have to do some testing then, thanks. Three more question please:

1. Why is there no default FOV setting? I thought the default FOV was 65? 

2. Can TAA and FXAA be used at the same time? I see that they can both be active in bethini. 

3. Is particle quality not set to maximum when choosing the Max preset due to performance, or something else?

Edited by Vanders

1. Default FOV for Skyrim Special Edition is 80.

2. IIRC you can use both at the same time, but it would be a bad idea. It would significantly blur the image. TAA already turns it into Vaseline.

3. What is max depends a lot on what mods you are running. I can't remember if I really touched particle settings much in the presets. If you turn it up really high, it will cause a performance drop during heavy snowstorms, which may become major blizzards. Tune it however high you like.

Is this a reason BethINI isn't adding the...

sResourceArchiveList=Skyrim - Misc.bsa, Skyrim - Shaders.bsa, Skyrim - Textures.bsa, Skyrim - Interface.bsa, Skyrim - Animations.bsa, Skyrim - Meshes.bsa, Skyrim - Sounds.bsa
sResourceArchiveList2=Skyrim - Voices.bsa, Skyrim - VoicesExtra.bsa

...lines to the Skryim.ini file? It's listed in on the wiki source that you created that these lines should be included.

I'll have to do some testing then, thanks. Three more question please:

3. Is particle quality not set to maximum when choosing the Max preset due to performance, or something else?

3. What is max depends a lot on what mods you are running. I can't remember if I really touched particle settings much in the presets. If you turn it up really high, it will cause a performance drop during heavy snowstorms, which may become major blizzards. Tune it however high you like.

I set this to 6000 because that is what Mangaclub recommends for Vividian ENB and Vivid Clouds and Fogs. No performance loss on my GTX 1060.

Is this a reason BethINI isn't adding the...

sResourceArchiveList=Skyrim - Misc.bsa, Skyrim - Shaders.bsa, Skyrim - Textures.bsa, Skyrim - Interface.bsa, Skyrim - Animations.bsa, Skyrim - Meshes.bsa, Skyrim - Sounds.bsa
sResourceArchiveList2=Skyrim - Voices.bsa, Skyrim - VoicesExtra.bsa
...lines to the Skryim.ini file? It's listed in on the wiki source that you created that these lines should be included.

No. BethINI should always add in that line if it is missing iirc. The game will be bugged without it.

After comparing any changes BethINI makes to the Oblivion.ini, I discovered it adds the following:

[Launcher]
bEnableFileSelection=1

I thought this edit pertained mostly for Skyrim users who had issues viewing their Data files and that it is an edit that should be made to the SkyrimPrefs.ini. Is this edit also needed for Oblivion?

I also just noticed that some statements have moved from [Display] into [LOD].

Edit: Ah, I see

bLODPopActors=0

bLODPopItems=0

bLODPopObjects=0

are duplicates in the vanilla Oblivion.ini. I never noticed this before. It makes sense that it should belong in the [LOD] section. I wonder why the vanilla Oblivion.ini has it listed in both [Display] and [LOD]?

Edited by Diana_TES_GotH

When Oblivion is first launched and generates the Oblivion.ini the following statements are duplicated in the Oblivion.ini:

[Display]

;BethINI removes the following statements from [Display] but leaves them in the other sections.

bLODPopActors= ;duplicated in [LOD]. Oblivion_default.ini states it only in [LOD].

bLODPopItems= ;duplicated in [LOD]. Oblivion_default.ini states it only in [LOD].

bLODPopObjects= ;duplicated in [LOD]. Oblivion_default.ini states it only in [LOD].

fGrassEndDistance= ;duplicated in [Grass]. Oblivion_default.ini states it only in [Grass].

fGrassStartFadeDistance= ;duplicated in [Grass]. Oblivion_default.ini states it only in [Grass].

[General]

fQuestScriptDelayTime= ;duplicated in [MAIN]. Oblivion_default.ini states it only in [General]. BethINI removes the statement from [General] but leaves it in [Main]

STestFile1= ;duplicated lower in [General] and in Oblivion_default.ini [General]. BethINI removes the duplicate statement.

RoyBatterian explains that the game will only read the ones from the correct section and there is no way to know which section is the correct one without debugging the game. So now I'm even more curious about these duplicate statements and I want to fix them...lol.