No .esm

belis1453

Question

First, absolutely fantastic work. I'd been using SEELODGEN prior, and wow this really made quite a difference (granted at a higher VRAM cost but still, magnificent)

I am not generating an .esm, what could be wrong? The .esp doesn't even say it has it as a master file. I acquired this SSE version here:

https://forum.step-project.com/topic/13029-dyndolod-236-skyrim-se-beta-with-dynamic-lod/

I've checked in the output folder, as I've ziped the mod there and loaded it into MO. I've also generated DynDOLOD various times now.

I'm not able to select windows for some reason either, or candles etc.....do I need netimmerse for that? Is this happening because i don't have netimmerse?

I have papyrus util and skse64 properly installed. I've followed all the instructions as well.

Is the .esm necessary? I've loaded a game and the LODs seems to be working alright.

Is it because I haven't made some .ini edit? I thought I had them....

Also do the DynDOLOD resources need to be at the bottom of our load order, below all other mods it is conflicting with when we generate Dyndolod textures and the .esp itself? I am worried it will overwrite some of the things from other mods I want to use. Once Dyndolos itself is generated, can I delete the generated textures with tex gen, and disable the resources?

Edited by belis1453

10 answers to this question

I did read it....it's still not clear when generating TEX GEN where the resources should be in load order, because they overwrite or are overwritten by other mods. Such as HD LOD textures. Should resources be above or below that when making tex gen, then after as well?

How would I use the lanterns patch then? For SSE

The zip cannot but unziped, or loaded into MO.

It says none of the available installer plugins were able to handle the archive.

Edited by belis1453

From DynDOLOD_Manual_SSE.html:

HD LODs Textures SE - Overwrite any textures from DynDOLOD Resources SE but not textures generated by TexGen.exe. Adjust Max tile size on advanced options to match the downloaded resolution or use it to shrink higher resolution back down to lower resolution automatically while the atlas is created.

From Overwrite Orders:

DynDOLOD Resources LOD source meshes need to overwrite any vanilla LOD source meshes.
[...]
DynDOLOD Resources LOD source textures need to overwrite any vanilla LOD source textures
[...]
HOWEVER, any texture replacer mod that ships with its own LOD source textures most likely should overwrite DynDOLOD Resources LOD source textures, even if the mod makes no mention of it.
[...]
LOD source textures created by TexGen.exe for the current load order need to overwrite DynDOLOD Resources LOD source textures and also any LOD source textures from mods.

Not sure what part of this is not clear? It says textures generated by TexGen always overwrite DynDOLOD Resources and textures from mods. TexGen generates textures from the current full textures in the load order, they will always match best.

How would I use the lanterns patch then? For SSE

Update sf_mannylos_quest_scene2_0101322e.pex with the one from the DynDOLOD Patches archive.

The zip cannot but unziped, or loaded into MO.
It says none of the available installer plugins were able to handle the archive.

Then the 7z archive may be broken because of incomplete download or you need to update MO. It should be no problem unpacking a file from an archive with different tools if required.

The DynDOLOD-Patches.2.33.7z available on Nexus is over a year old and nobody else reported problems in all that time. Use the mirror download if Nexus has problems.

Edited by sheson

I just found it in the manual right before reading this!

Thank you Sheson.

Update sf_mannylos_quest_scene2_0101322e.pex with the one from the DynDOLOD Patches archive.

How do I replace this?

I imagine it's fine if I just install it with MO. Looks like it doesn't matter where it is in load order so long as it's below papyrus util? Does it matter when I do this, ie. should install it in MO before or after generating DynDOLOD?

(You were right, the download failed for some reason, I downloaded it again)

Also where are these options for atlas? Is it alright to use the 1k version with the 512 option in texgen and dynolod?

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/articles/164

OR is it okay if I just use the first file here: (What I am currently using)

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/3333?tab=files

That way I can use 1k near lods and 512 far lods?

Edited by belis1453

How do I replace this? Where do I find that specific .pex? When do I do this in the installation process?

(You were right, the download failed for some reason, I downloaded it again)

You install it as you always do with the mod manager you are using or extract the file from the archive ..\04 Lanterns of Skyrim\scripts\sf_mannylos_quest_scene2_0101322e.pex and overwrite ..\Data\scripts\sf_mannylos_quest_scene2_0101322e.pex from the Lantern mods (or whatever the equivalent for the path is for the mod manager you are using).

Also where are these options for atlas? Is it alright to use the 1k version with the 512 option in texgen and dynolod?

You can set whatever sizes in the drop downs of TexGen you like as they will mix without problem. That would be personal preference between quality and VRAM usage.

In DynDOLOD the max tile size should be at least 1k or higher so that as many LOD textures as possible make it onto the atlas texture for best performance.

Ah, so never have the max tile size below 1k? Will that affect performance (VRAM) as well?

Most importantly:

Is it alright if I use the first file here than?

Instead of the file below that says "DynDOLOD." That way I can have the 1k near lods and the 512 far lods...

Many thanks for all of the assistance Sheson, and for all of this marvelous work.

Edited by belis1453

Not never, but if you want to use 1k LOD textures from HD LODs or generated 1k LODs with TexGen the max tile size should also be 1k so they can make it onto the texture atlas.

Using 1k LOD textures will most likely use a bit more VRAM than using 512 LODs.

I can not answer questions specific to third party mods, you should read its description or ask the author or check the contents of the download to make a decision.

If the recommendations are as such:

- SSELODGen recommended settings (The one I use, if you have a better idea, tell me I'm not an expert):
-- For the 1k version (recommended):
--- Object Lods : CHECKED (you don't say :p )
--- Build Atlas : CHECKED
--- atlas size : 8192 * 8192
--- max texture size : 1024
--- in UV range : 1.5

I use 1k in TEX GEN and 1K max tile size in DynDOLOD, is that alright?

It is the DynDOLOD 1k version of this. (The author has been absent since February, so I cannot confirm anything with him unfortunately)

Edited by belis1453

If the recommendations are as such:

- SSELODGen recommended settings (The one I use, if you have a better idea, tell me I'm not an expert):

-- For the 1k version (recommended):

--- Object Lods : CHECKED (you don't say :p )

--- Build Atlas : CHECKED

--- atlas size : 8192 * 8192

--- max texture size : 1024

--- in UV range : 1.5

I use 1k in TEX GEN and 1K max tile size in DynDOLOD, is that alright?

It is the DynDOLOD 1k version of this. (The author has been absent since February, so I cannot confirm anything with him unfortunately)

If you want 1k source LOD textures to be added to the texture atlas for best performance, then the max tile size in DynDOLOD should be 1k or higher. Any source LOD texture that has a resolution higher than the max tile size will not be put on the atlas and used directly instead.

The setting is to make sure that large full texture do end up on the atlas causing multiple atlas textures.

Edited by sheson