Issues with Mod Organizer Launching Skyrim SE Workarounds

ustolemygmrtag

Question

Hi all,

I am an avid NMM user and decided to use MO2 this week. I have found some issues that could hinder Skyrim SE from launching with MO2. 

1. Race menu causes crash with MO2(With 200 mods, I disabled that one mod and Skyrim SE started like a pro)
2. MO2 does not have permission to write to the Skyrim SE Folder. 
3. MO2 does not start Skyrim with SKSE executable. 
4. Skyrim and MO2 must be set to start as Admin.
5. Files still in the Overwrite folder. 

Fix all these and you are on your way to a fun Skyrim SE Experience. I hope this helps all of those out there that are having issues as I was with MO2 and Skyrim crashing on startup. 

Edited by ustolemygmrtag

2 answers to this question

If you need to run Mod Organizer with admin privileges, you have something setup incorrectly somewhere. You should not install Steam, Skyrim, Mod Organizer, or any other tools used to mod the game in Program Files or any other folder subject to user access control. You as a regular user should be the owner and have full access to all these folders.

If you have everything setup correctly, Mod Organizer runs SKSE and the game just fine. There may still be a few kinks and rough edges that need polishing, but any issues you run into should be reported in as much detail as possible along with the debug logs to the developers on github.

If you need to run Mod Organizer with admin privileges, you have something setup incorrectly somewhere. You should not install Steam, Skyrim, Mod Organizer, or any other tools used to mod the game in Program Files or any other folder subject to user access control. You as a regular user should be the owner and have full access to all these folders.

If you have everything setup correctly, Mod Organizer runs SKSE and the game just fine. There may still be a few kinks and rough edges that need polishing, but any issues you run into should be reported in as much detail as possible along with the debug logs to the developers on github.

I will explain that in more detail. 

I have a fresh install of Windows 10, Steam, MO2, and Skyrim. All mods are newly downloaded from Nexus yesterday and installed with MO2. I installed 2 mods by hand. SKSE64, SS hairs 350 and SS Hairs 256(Both of these are no longer available on Nexus).  All settings have been followed according the installation video on Youtube posted by the team here. 

After 4 hours of instant game crashes starting Skyrim SE with MO2, I 1st found that Racemenu would not work with MO2. Once I disabled it, Skyrim would run with all other mods installed. But, I was getting issues with FNIS once Skyrim started. I told me that the MO2 did not have permissions to write to the mods folder. And also, I kept getting a message that stated that MO2 did not have permission to do the current command. I changed the permissions and the issue went away. 

No settings were wrong, and all installations were done correctly.