Issues with terrain

rhodsey

Question

Hello. sorry not 100% sure if the issue here is Dyndolod or xLODgen. I'm guessing the latter.  

I've followed Lexys LOTD SE guide through as is with no additions but for some reason my LOD terrain isn't generating correctly. we've been trying to troubleshoot it on their discord to no avail.

Some screens to show the problem

This first one was taken from Dragonborn gallery so looking off from Solitude the distant mountains look fantastic but the swamps etc don't seem to be generated properly:

https://gyazo.com/c22b15cdc82c0b43841c25ff68567bcb

And this is looking over the wall at whiterun.  The ground is low resolution and you can see some of the buildings are actually buried inside it.  

https://gyazo.com/fef9fa8ea1d09cdc6eb05ef97e418d0f

We've tried re-running dyndolod a few times (in the ini i've set TreeLOD=0 and TreeFullFallBack=1 as per her guide)  to no avail and I just re-ran xLODGEN (generating terrain only) to no avail.

Settings I used for Dyndolod:

https://gyazo.com/6f15741c7e79ff45b774156714d13940

And settings I used for xLODgen can be found on the guides finishing line page Here

I saw another post where you advised someone to check noise.dds. Originally it was being provided by A Quality world map as were some of the textuers in the textures\terrain\Tamriel but i've moved them back above SSELODGEN_Output so all textures are coming from that. I've also tried one of your noise.dds files on the original post to no avail.

Any ideas?  If there are logs or similar you want me to provide let me know and I can get them for you

Edited by rhodsey

3 answers to this question

DynDOLOD does object and tree LOD. xLODGen does terrain/water LOD. These LOD types are really distinctive, especially after having looked at an object LOD bto and a terrain LOD btr in nifskope. I suggest to do that for the area in question... the DynDOLOD SkyUI MCM You Are Here will tell you the filenames of the LOD files for the area the player is in.

So the first screenshot shows terrain just fine, but object LOD seems to be missing a lot of objects (and the 3D trees) , which could be for various reasons:

- mods actually deleted the objects

- missing LOD assets at generation time, maybe because BSAs are not loaded or incomplete installation

- incomplete object LOD generation because of errors, which should be mentioned in the log... which was not posted.

- short LOD distances for the nearer LOD levels, which can be set in the SkyrimPrefs.INI or in the DynDOLOD SkyUI MCM Settings.

In addition to missing/incomplete object LOD, the second screenshot shows the usual empty cells right past the city walls. The terrain right past the wall is the full terrain texture resolution without grass. It still is loaded cells. Use tll in console to see where the LOD actually starts. Whiterun Exterior will add only a few buildings and some water into those cells, nothing more.

Noise.dds is a layer added to terrain LOD textures, which has no issue looking at the screenshots.

Edited by sheson

DynDOLOD does object and tree LOD. xLODGen does terrain/water LOD. These LOD types are really distinctive, especially after having looked at an object LOD bto and a terrain LOD btr in nifskope. I suggest to do that for the area in question... the DynDOLOD SkyUI MCM You Are Here will tell you the filenames of the LOD files for the area the player is in.

So the first screenshot shows terrain just fine, but object LOD seems to be missing a lot of objects (and the 3D trees) , which could be for various reasons:

- mods actually deleted the objects

- missing LOD assets at generation time, maybe because BSAs are not loaded or incomplete installation

- incomplete object LOD generation because of errors, which should be mentioned in the log... which was not posted.

- short LOD distances for the nearer LOD levels, which can be set in the SkyrimPrefs.INI or in the DynDOLOD SkyUI MCM Settings.

In addition to missing/incomplete object LOD, the second screenshot shows the usual empty cells right past the city walls. The terrain right past the wall is the full terrain texture resolution without grass. It still is loaded cells. Use tll in console to see where the LOD actually starts. Whiterun Exterior will add only a few buildings and some water into those cells, nothing more.

Noise.dds is a layer added to terrain LOD textures, which has no issue looking at the screenshots.

Sorry It took a bit of time to get back to you.  I was just about to give some screens of the various setting sin Dyndolod and ask which specific log you needed but I think I've found my issue.  I'd downloaded and thought I'd installed visual studio C++ runtime 2015 but, when I found the right logs, they all said it was saying the LZ4 assembly required it.  I've checked and I've got every other version of visual studio imaginable EXCEPT 2015 for some unknown reason and when I run the installer it fails thinking it is already installed (must have been multitasking at the time and missed it).  

I'll try sort that out and figure out why it won't install and come back if I have further issues but I think that was it.

Thanks for ocming back to me so quickly.

Ok back again quickly.

Just FYI Sheson I've just found the below. Basically it looks like the issue is that the 2017 version is just an update of the 2015 version and shares the same registry keys. So others might have a similar issue. Sharing just incase they come to you:

The Visual C++ 2017 RC Redistributable is a binary-compatible in-place upgrade of the Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable and shares the same registry keys. An application installer that follows the guidance, from the link above, will skip installation of the 2015 redistributable without error.

To get you unblocked (workaround the issue), I'd suggest the following:

1. Uninstall the Visual C++ 2017 RC Redistributable

2. Install your app

3. Re-install the Visual C++ 2017 RC Redistributable (Note: the latest update of this redistributable will be available here

Regards,

Daniel Griffing, Visual C++ Libraries

I'm going to give that a go now.  Assume it worked if I don't come back to say otherwise.