MO2 Serious Problem

Trinityshadow

Question

Hi guys!

I recently ran into a problem with Mod Organizer 2 - I run it with Fallout 4 ( I use very little mods with FO4 but enough to run it with MO2), but recently I had to delete my MO1 (ran it with Skyrim) because the new EU Data Protection Regulation doesn't let it work properly. MO2 has been updated and works fine, though, so I had to download a duplicate version of MO2 to work with my Skyrim.

At first it was working okay, I know how to switch between games using the same version of Mod Organizer - I have two folders, both installed to the Program Files-section. The one I run with FO4 is labelled 'Mod Organizer 2' while the one I use with Skyrim is simply 'Mod Organizer'. They are in different folders.

For some reason, however, I found that the MO2 I used with Skyrim couldn't run any of the executables properly. There was either an error, or it didn't recognize any of the mods I had downloaded. I couldn't find a solution through the internet, so I simply decided to delete and reload everything I associated with Skyrim (I didn't have a game saved, so it didn't really matter), including TES5Edit, LOOT and the game itself. I also deleted the MO I used with it, then redownloading everything. I first ran Skyrim launcher and even visited Main Menu.

So I clicked the far left corner for the Instance selection, chose to run Skyrim, and what do I find?

All the mods I'd downloaded for Skyrim were still there, but for some god-only-knows reason, the Fallout 4 mods are there as well, in the same MO. The Skyrim mods have a strange green symbol next to them that indicates a "alternate game source and overwritten files". It seems to be running Fallout 4's main game and DLCs instead of Skyrim's, and it has both Skyrim and Fallout 4 plugins and non-esps all mixed together. When I click the executables, there are both the ones for FO4 and Skyrim - FO4Edit, TES5Edit, SKSE, F4SE, and so on. The Skyrim main game and DLCs are nowhere to be seen through my MO, but it seems to be properly installed and I can run it through Steam just fine, so it isn't about the base game. I can also choose to run only Fallout 4 through the Instances, in which case the MO works normally and it only shows the FO4 mods. So for some reason my MO2 can't seem to separate the games anymore - I've gone through the Instance selection like 10 times, reinstalled MO2 etc...

I'm kind of lost here, to be honest. No one else seems to be having this issue.

So... any bright ideas?

3 answers to this question

If you installed Mod Organizer in "instance mode" (which is the default), you should have only one copy of Mod Organizer installed. When you want to switch between Fallout 4 and Skyrim, click the button at the top left and select the appropriate instance to use. It sounds as if both copies of Mod Organizers are using the same instance to manage different games so you should probably create new instances from scratch. Create one instance for Fallout 4 and use this one only for Fallout 4 and create one instance for Skyrim and use this instance only for Skyrim. You can create as many instances as you want.

I also suggest moving Mod Organizer (and any games) out of the Program Files folder because you'll bump into a lot of permission issues. Also do not install Mod Organizer in the game folder because the virtual file system does not work correctly if Mod Organizer is installed in the game folder.

Okay, wow that worked to at least some extent... since I now have my base Skyrim game and all the DLCs in place, but none of the mods I'd downloaded for Skyrim. I had already an instance by the name Skyrim (the one malfunctioning) so I had to create something called 'Skyrim1'. But thanks a ton!

P.S. Is there a place you'd suggest I move my MO if Program Files isn't a good place for them?

You can use something like C:\Games\ModOrganizer or C:\Tools\ModOrganizer or pick another folder name of your choice. I usually just create a folder off the root of a drive to keep the path relatively short.