unconstant FPS, with occassional but strang lag. Performance monitor show nothing wrong

hardtroll

Question

Hi there, 

I have an heavy modded skyrim (200 mods), Mod Organiser running, and everyhting is almost perfect, but my game is not smotth . With or without ENB (realvision) it is exactly same : I got 60 fps with strong drop to 30 for very few second, make the game lag strongly. it occurs every 10 second approximatly. Make it unplayable( or not fun at all) during fight....

I play on 1080 TI, i7 7700k, 16GB ram, monitor is 1440x2560.....should be smooth !!

I add a file with the performance monitor capture, so people may help me about seeing if something is wrong.

What is very strange, is that when I disable the enb, I got exactly same fps. No gain.

Any ideas ?

post-6036-0-87213600-1528624220_thumb.jpg

Edited by hardtroll

12 answers to this question

1st Idea: If u have many script-heavy mods, this could be the reason - 200 mods would be fine, depending on what mods u use.
2nd Idea: Thermal-Throttling, is it hotter then normal for u (for me it is ~27°c room temp) - this could explain this peaks 2.

Edited by FourOne

Assuming I'm interpreting the graph correctly, it looks as if the GPU temperature starts at 46C (114F) and steadily climbs to 64C (147F) and the FPS drops do not correlated to GPU temperature. I'm not all that familiar with NVidia's thermal throttling so I could be mistaken. I use an AMD Radeon R9 290X Space Heater Edition... at least this is what I called it before I tuned the fan profile to get the temperature down. Now I all it the AMD Radeon R9 290X Jet Aircraft Edition.

I also suggest running BethINI to optimize your INI files if you haven't already. I know a lot of performance issues can simply be caused by bad or unoptimized settings in the INI files. If you're using an ENB preset, you might also temporarily disable the graphics settings in enblocal.ini (set UsePatchSpeedhackWithoutGraphics=true in [GLOBAL]) or in game (I think the default shortcut is F12 to toggle ENB in game).

1st Idea: If u have many script-heavy mods, this could be the reason - 200 mods would be fine, depending on what mods u use.

2nd Idea: Thermal-Throttling, is it hotter then normal for u (for me it is ~27°c room temp) - this could explain this peaks 2.

well, thanks for the answer. I use around 200 mods (205 ?) , but this should be fine I think.

I never heard about  Thermal-Throttling !! I make research, and dicover it is a kind of option in the BIOS ? Here room Temp can be hot, I live in thailand, but today not so hot  (25/30°c today). What should I try about Thermal-Throttling ? can you give me any advice ?

Assuming I'm interpreting the graph correctly, it looks as if the GPU temperature starts at 46C (114F) and steadily climbs to 64C (147F) and the FPS drops do not correlated to GPU temperature. I'm not all that familiar with NVidia's thermal throttling so I could be mistaken. I use an AMD Radeon R9 290X Space Heater Edition... at least this is what I called it before I tuned the fan profile to get the temperature down. Now I all it the AMD Radeon R9 290X Jet Aircraft Edition.

I also suggest running BethINI to optimize your INI files if you haven't already. I know a lot of performance issues can simply be caused by bad or unoptimized settings in the INI files. If you're using an ENB preset, you might also temporarily disable the graphics settings in enblocal.ini (set UsePatchSpeedhackWithoutGraphics=true in [GLOBAL]) or in game (I think the default shortcut is F12 to toggle ENB in game).

Hi, there is actually 2 fans on my CPU and 3 included in the GPU, do you mean it is not enought ?

About ini files, I have tuned it so much (accroding to different guide like STEP ans other tips on google), but as I tell on my message, '' when I disable the enb, I got exactly same fps. No gain.''  This is obvious. With or without ENB, I got 60 fps almost everywhere with strong drop every 10 sec.....Very boring !

First u can test ur CPU, i use AIDA64 for that, the stability test shows u if u have throttling under load. For your GPU u can use MSI Afterburner while ingame, Skyrim with in ENB is a good game for that ;)

First u can test ur CPU, i use AIDA64 for that, the stability test shows u if u have throttling under load. For your GPU u can use MSI Afterburner while ingame, Skyrim with in ENB is a good game for that ;)

intersting, I will try that tomorrow :) very late now, time to sleep for me. Thank you for the advice :)

Hi

this morning I have run AIDA64. I check stress CPU and uncheck all others. CPU temp, core 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 are between 98°c and 100 Â°c all the time during the test! (It say overheating detected )

So I guess there is a problem there. My pc is new ( 8 month), but I did not make it myself, I just ask a shop do it for me. Do they make something wrong ? What should I do ?

The i7 7700k normally runs hot under load but the peak temperature should be less than 85°C. If your CPU is hitting 98°C and 100°C during a stress test, I question whether the cooler/heatsink is properly installed on the CPU. There should be a good layer of thermal paste between the CPU and heatsink and the heatsink/fan assembly should be mounted tight so it does not wiggle if you touch it.

The i7 7700k normally runs hot under load but the peak temperature should be less than 85°C. If your CPU is hitting 98°C and 100°C during a stress test, I question whether the cooler/heatsink is properly installed on the CPU. There should be a good layer of thermal paste between the CPU and heatsink and the heatsink/fan assembly should be mounted tight so it does not wiggle if you touch it.

Do you think this can be impact my game and be the reason of frequent strong but short lag ? Because when I check FPS, I got 60 almost everytime but just not when drop to lag.

The overheating can be the issue, and its definitely not healthy for your CPU. Since u have a 7700k u don't run it with the Intel cooler, thats good, but u should reapply the thermal-paste. U can watch Youtube videos or something to get an idea of what u have to do, the paste is not that expensive and will help your cpu to live longer.

EDIT: Since u bought it from a shop, they did something wrong. They did not apply the thermal paste or did it wrong, even with the worst cooler it should not go 100°c.

Edited by FourOne

The overheating can be the issue, and its definitely not healthy for your CPU. Since u have a 7700k u don't run it with the Intel cooler, thats good, but u should reapply the thermal-paste. U can watch Youtube videos or something to get an idea of what u have to do, the paste is not that expensive and will help your cpu to live longer.

EDIT: Since u bought it from a shop, they did something wrong. They did not apply the thermal paste or did it wrong, even with the worst cooler it should not go 100°c.

well, jsut back from the shop. Ask him replace thermal paste and change the cooling system (he install a better one). Now running aida64 I got between 83 to 86°c. I know he also overclock the cpu a little bit , should I remove the overclocking ?

83°c to 86°c is 2 much in my opinion, at least for every day usage. Save your BIOS-profile and reset to default and use only XMP (in case u have it). In case u want to overclock again: ASUS has an guided overclock for different cooling systems in their BIOS, most people i know who use it have no problems.

Since u are from Thailand and have higher average temperature then for example Europeans are used to, i really suggest u don't overclock that much or u get much better case/casefans. People really underestimate how much bad airflow matters, even the best CPU cooler can't make that much of a difference if ur case cant get rid of the heat properly.