xLODGen - Terrain LOD beta 109 for FNV, FO3, FO4, FO4VR, TES5, SSE, TES5VR, ENDERAL, ENDERALSE

sheson

This might be a dumb question, but if I run xLODGen and DynDOLOD afterwards, the mods Terrain LOD Redone and HD LODs Textures SE become obsolete for me, right? Since xLODGen + DynDOLOD will generate the files these mods offer themselves, correct?

These type of questions answer themselves by looking at the folder/files these mods provide.

Terrain LOD Redone contains terrain LOD meshes and textures for Tamriel and Solstheim. If you use xLODGen to generate terrain LOD meshes and/or textures for these worldspaces and overwrite Terrain LOD Redone, then the mod would be mostly useless.

Obviously it is possible to mix and merge. Terrain LOD Redone also contains a noise.dds texture that might be useful.

HD LODs Textures SE contains updated LOD textures resources, especially for the pre-rendered LOD textures that TexGen can no create. It is mentioned in the Compatibility section of DynDOLOD_Manual_SSE.html.

• +1 1

These type of questions answer themselves by looking at the folder/files these mods provide.

Yeah, but I wasn't 100% sure, hence why I asked, but thanks for answering my question despite this! :)

HD LODs Textures SE contains updated LOD textures resources, especially for the pre-rendered LOD textures that TexGen can no create. It is mentioned in the Compatibility section of DynDOLOD_Manual_SSE.html.

Derp, yeah I forgot to check the manual first ... sorry.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! Decided to try out xLODGen as Skyrim SE LOD is still horrible. In game everything looks fine, except my map, it looks... weird and partially flooded:

atDHniI.jpg

My settings were

LOD4 quality 5; Diffuse 512, Normals 256, Protect Borders

LOD8 quality 10; Diffuse 256, Normals 256, Optimize Unseen On
LOD16 quality 10; Diffuse 256, Normals 128, Optimize Unseen On
LOD32 quality 15; Diffuse 128, Normals 128, Optimise Unseen On

What I did wrong? Not like map is unusable, but I'd still like to know for my future "experiments".

Tried to search, does somebody already had/have similar issues, but couldn't find anything.
Edited by Kriiks

Hello! Decided to try out xLODGen as Skyrim SE LOD is still horrible. In game everything looks fine, except my map, it looks... weird and partially flooded:

atDHniI.jpg

My settings were

LOD4 quality 5; Diffuse 512, Normals 256, Protect Borders

LOD8 quality 10; Diffuse 256, Normals 256, Optimize Unseen On

LOD16 quality 10; Diffuse 256, Normals 128, Optimize Unseen On

LOD32 quality 15; Diffuse 128, Normals 128, Optimise Unseen On

What I did wrong? Not like map is unusable, but I'd still like to know for my future "experiments".

Tried to search, does somebody already had/have similar issues, but couldn't find anything.

The CK Terrain LOD generation has similar results. You missed the explanation how the vanilla LOD level 32 which is used for the map is manually edited by Bethesda to optimize coast lines.

The Optimized Unseen option that was added to beta 7 can be used to automatically optimize the coast lines.

A value of 500 or so seems a good value for LOD level 32

Ahh.. I did read the guide, but somehow managed to miss/forgot this part for LOD32. Usually DynDOLOD and TexGen documentation and using is quite easy to understand, so I went bit overconfident and missed it. Reading fail :(

Thank you for fast reply!

Windows 7 64-bit and Skyrim SE

What would be the best compression for the diffuse and normals?

When I have tried landscape textures with dxt1 normals they end up looking shiny. Not sure if LOD textures work the same in SE.

Or would it be better quality if I generated some other compression and then convert to a Win7 compatible format?

Thanks! :)

Windows 7 64-bit and Skyrim SE

What would be the best compression for the diffuse and normals?

When I have tried landscape textures with dxt1 normals they end up looking shiny. Not sure if LOD textures work the same in SE.

Or would it be better quality if I generated some other compression and then convert to a Win7 compatible format?

Thanks! :)

Not sure what you did or what might be different about your setup, but normals using DXT1 should look just the same as DXT5 AFAIK. The alpha channel is not used for terrain LOD textures.

The best compression would probably be BC7, but exporting to that format directly is not yet available. B5G6R5 is not supported in Win7. The best visuals would be with 888 (and then maybe manually convert to BC7)

This sounds cool. Noob question. What is the relationship between this and Dynodolod?

From the DynDOLOD description:

Dynamic Distant Objects LOD (DynDOLOD) is a set of simple tools based on xEdit and xLODGen to automatically create a Skyrim mod based on the load order, which adds distant LOD for objects to Skyrim. By combining DynDOLOD with xLODGen users can create drastically enhanced traditional static object LOD plus tree LOD and a new, optional dynamic distant object LOD in a few simple steps.

From first post of this thread:

The object and tree LOD generation is the same as the current versions of xEdit / xLODGen. Refer to their respective descriptions and explanations. Obviously, users of Skryim/Skyrim SE/Skyrim VR continue to use DynDOLOD for drastically improved object and tree LOD generation.

See the section Terminology in the From DynDOLOD_Manual.html which explains a lof of these tools/names and such things in more detail.

Edited by sheson

How to disable the atrocity that is the Skyrim SE snow shader?

Skyrim.ini

[Display]
bDeactivateAOOnSnow=1
bEnableSnowRimLighting=0

SkyrimPrefs.ini

[Display]
bEnableImprovedSnow=0
bEnableProjecteUVDiffuseNormals=0
bToggleSparkles=0
fProjectedUVDiffuseNormalTilingScale=0.0
fProjectedUVNormalDetailTilingScale=0.0

Did not have much luck with Majestic, going to try LH Mountains next.

How to disable the atrocity that is the Skyrim SE snow shader?

Skyrim.ini

[Display]
bDeactivateAOOnSnow=1
bEnableSnowRimLighting=0

SkyrimPrefs.ini

[Display]
bEnableImprovedSnow=0
bEnableProjecteUVDiffuseNormals=0
bToggleSparkles=0
fProjectedUVDiffuseNormalTilingScale=0.0
fProjectedUVNormalDetailTilingScale=0.0

Did not have much luck with Majestic, going to try LH Mountains next.

@ShmooZ why not just use the games launcher and untick it ?

fvPogVe.png