Mods not showing in LOOT or working in game...

ecksdee

Question

If any of the tools or the game are not "seeing" any of your active plugins in Mod Organizer 2, follow these basic steps to troubleshoot the issue:

1. Open Windows Explorer, go into your Mod Organizer folder, right click on ModOrganizer.exe, and click Properties. If you see an Unblock button or Unblock checkbox, Windows 10 (and possibly earlier versions of Windows) blocks UVFS because Mod Organizer is not trusted. You must click Unblock and OK to allow UVFS to work properly. You may also need to unblock all *.exe and *.dll files in the Mod Organizer folder. The easiest and recommended method is to download Mod Organizer from Nexus (or #builds on discord) to a hard drive on your PC, right click on the ZIP file you downloaded, and unblock the ZIP file before you extract the files. If you unblock the ZIP file first, none of the extracted files will be blocked by Windows. Note that if you download the ZIP file to a NAS (network attached storage) or a server on your home network, Windows may still block all extracted files because Windows treats network devices on your local network as untrusted sources.

2. Temporarily disable your AntiVirus software to determine whether it is interfering with Mod Organizer's hooking process. If it works now, add a rule to exclude the Mod Organizer folder. Some aggressive AntiVirus software prevent Mod Organizer from hooking tools and the game, and some poorly designed AntiVirus software deletes uvfs.dll without warning.

3. If this is an issue in game, disable any overlays you are using. Some overlays use their own hooking mechanism that effective disables or blocks Mod Organizer's hooking mechanism.

4. If you are running the game as an administrator but Mod Organizer is running as a regular user, the hooking mechanism will not work because Windows prohibits a process without admin rights from interacting with a process with admin rights.

5. Installing Mod Organizer into the game folder is known to cause issues with the virtual file system. It is recommended to install ModOrganizer in its own folder outside the Steam or game folders.

Thanks to ecksdee for confirming that Windows 10 does indeed prevent Mod Organizer from hooking tools and games if the executable is blocked.

Hi.

I'm following the STEP guide and I've installed a few of the mods.

The problem is they aren't showing up in my load order when I launch LOOT and they're not working in game. 

Iv'e been trying to look for answers for days but I can't find anything.

Thanks!

The typical culprit is something like antivirus software interfering the UVFS virtual file system. Also note that if you run Mod Organizer as a regular user (without admin privileges) but you run the game with admin privileges, Windows prohibits Mod Organizer from hooking SKSE or the game. Finally, installing Mod Organizer into the game folder prevents the UVFS virtual file system from working properly.

I'm running MO with admin privileges because my steamapps folder in in programfilesx86 but it still doesn't work. 

SKSE works perfectly fine when running through MO or just the Steam desktop link but no mods will work.

Also what do you mean by "UVFS"?

And there is another part of the problem. Steam, and by extension your game files, should NOT be in ProgramFiles... it's UAC controlled by Windows, meaning that, essentially, it doesn't let a lot of outside programs make changes. THis was specifically talked about in the STEP Guide, so I suggest you go back to the part about installing Skyrim and start again.

You really shouldn't need to run Mod Organizer, any of the tools, or the game as an administrator. Have you disabled your antivirus temporarily to rule it out as a possible issue? Do you have any overlays in the game can be interfering?

If you're still having issues, delete all files in the Mod Organizer logs folder, run Mod Organizer, click "Configure settings and workarounds" (the screwdriver and wrench icon at the top), click the Diagnostics tab, and change Log level to Debug. Click OK to close the dialog, start the game, load a save, wait for the game to start playing, exit the game, and exit Mod Organizer. Now upload the uvfs_*.log file somewhere (like Google Drive, Dropbox, One Drive, etc.) and post the link here. Note that the debug log will either be 0KB indicating something (like antivirus software) is preventing UVFS from working or it'll be fairly large.

Iv'e allowed SKSE, Skyrim Launcher, Mod Organiser and Skyrim launcher on both Windows Defender and Malware Bytes but the file is still reading in at 0KB...

Nothing seens to be working.

Is the "mods" folder supposed to be in the Skyrim directory? Because there is no "mod organiser folder in the main directory when it previously has been.

I'm having a similar issue with Skyrim (LE) mods activated in MO 2 left pane not showing in the plugins (right panel). Most mods are loaded without any issue but some animation related mods are not. 

I've followed the steps above and made sure that:

Steam is not in the Program Files Folder;

MO 2 is not installed on the Skyrim game folder (still on the same drive) 

I unblocked the MO 2 archive before installation (doublechecked - files are unblocked). All related .exe files have been added to McAfee's file exclusion list. 

I have tried using both MO 1 and MO 2 and they have the same issue. It may be connected with my Windows 10 update (08/10/2018) 

See screenshot below. Note that HDT Physics Extension is ticked active on the left panel but does not appear in the plugins panel on the right.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1H_QRamhpNJnQkmtEvvKLfxNxDklJjADY/view?usp=sharing

Help will be really appreciated! I've been toying with this for weeks now.

Double click the HDT Physics Extensions mod in the left pane and click the Optional ESPs tab. Is an *.esm or *.esp file listed in Available ESPs at the bottom or is it shown under Optional ESPs at the top? Plugins appear in the right pane only if it's listed in Available ESPs.

I believe the HDT Physics Extensions mod is an skse mod without any ESP or ESM.

Edit: if you right click any of the column headers in the left pane you will a context menu. In that menu you can select which columns show up in the left pane. Put a check into the "content" box and you will see at a glance what type of files are contained in the mod, which will also make screenshots easier to troubleshoot.

I believe the HDT Physics Extensions mod is an skse mod without any ESP or ESM.

Edit: if you right click any of the column headers in the left pane you will a context menu. In that menu you can select which columns show up in the left pane. Put a check into the "content" box and you will see at a glance what type of files are contained in the mod, which will also make screenshots easier to troubleshoot.

Thanks! OMG! I'm new to MO 2 and being able to see mod content at a glance is so helpful.

The content shows that HDT Physics Extender is an SKSE plugin (no .esm or .esp files).

That gave me an idea: I tried installing and activating Papyrus Util - another SKSE plugin, to check and see that this problem affected all SKSE plugins.

PapyrusUtil is having the same issue: active in left but not loading in right panel plugins (or LOOT or in-game) So the problem seems to be with SKSE plugins. 

Any ideas what might be causing this?

Thanks again so much for your time.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1H_QRamhpNJnQkmtEvvKLfxNxDklJjADY/view?usp=sharing

SKSE plugins are not shown in the right pane or in LOOT so this behavior is completely normal. To get SKSE and SKSE plugins working properly, you need to install SKSE binaries into the Skyrim or Skyrim Special Edition folder (where skyrim.exe is located). You can follow the instructions in the STEP 2.10 guide to install SKSE.

First off, I have not run Skyrim LE from MO2 so there may be a problem I am not aware of when using SKSE. You can always download the archive version of MO1.xx and copy it to a temporary directory, pointing it to the MO2 folders and test to see if it works from MO1. If it works, then MO2 install most likely is bad.

Where did you download MO2 and how did you install it? MO2 is constantly being updated on the discord server, while the Nexus version will be static until the next release. You may want to go over there and download the most recent version under the Builds channel. It is only an archive download and copy and paste to update. Should be easy depending on your level of PC experience. Just ask is you have questions. The link to the discord site is on the first comment of the posts tab of the Skyrim SE Nexus page.

When installing MO 2 do not install to a Windows UAC protected folder and it should not be installed into the games directory. It should be installed in its own directory on any drive on your system.

When you download an archive and after it finishes downloading you want to right click on it and select properties from the selection. At the bottom right, you should see a security section. There will should be a box next to “Unblock†which will need to be checked. Click apply and Ok. You can now extract and copy the archive to its destination.

Some other things you can check:

Under settings (the wrench and screwdriver icon) go to the workarounds tab and make sure that the “Load mechanism†is set to Mod organizer.

SKSE: I see by the SKSE mod that you have v1.07.03 installed and by the icon the scripts are installed. Make sure it is the version for the Skyrim LE and not Skyrim SE.  I would download the 7z archive and install that way instead of using the installer version. Remember to unblock it as stated above. Copy skseXXX.dll, skse_loader.exe and skse_steam_loader.dll to the Skyrim root directory of the game.

If you can please provide a screenshot of the Paths tab from the settings