Missing distant water textures

Athis

Question

Hello - I am setting up for a new game using Legendary and consulting the STEP guide

This has to do with a vanilla issue. Not sure if it is a known issue or not.

On a fresh vanilla install at ultra settings

I use 'coc chargenexit' to spawn a default character at the exit from Helgen Keep

I run NW to a rocky spur that overlooks the White River valley opposite Bleak Falls Barrow

To the left one can see lake Ilinalta and to the right Riverwood down the valley

I have a steady 60FPS as I rotate at this spot

About half way down the valley towards Riverwood at the spot just below Bleak Falls Tower there is a section of the river missing

A geometrical slice of river textures is missing

I have tested this in vanilla LE and SE versions and the same section of the White River is missing in both

There also seem to be some missing water textures on Lake Ilinalta in the distance

Is this a known issue or specific to my setup or install?

I think it may have something to do with occlusion culling?

I know there is an issue with that in some areas of SE

Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks

My System specs

W7 64 bit

i3 4170 3.7 GHz

8GB ram

GTX 1060 3GB

8 answers to this question

Looks like an LOD issue to me - not a missing texture. Are you using DynDOLOD or xLOD as part of your mod lineup? Between them, they generally take care of issues like this.

Basically, my thought is that the area showing land is also (if memory serves) where a major waterfall or two resides, and I think the rocks and what not are basically triggering the LOD as 'land' from that distance. Could be off base entirely, and I'll see if I have something similar looking from that vantage when I get home later.

EDIT: Just saw you said this was vanilla, so disregard the mod question. This just solidifies my belief that its an LOD issue, and nothing wrong with your game or setup.

Edited by Shadriss

HQLODS is fastest way to get rid of the problem.  (You can see before and after screens with the same problem)

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/4834/?tab=images

You could always slap Lodgen or Dyndolod too obviously. I believe both of them should remove the problem too.

PS Culling data fix is generally for the sea problems.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/78241

Edited by Kossu

Thanks folks

Yes it's a completely clean vanilla install. The screenshot is from LE; but I had exactly the same issue in the same spot a couple of days ago with an SE install.

I came across a comment from Arthmoor saying these types of glitches and anomalies are due to bugs in the engine.

What you both say here seems to confirm that. At least now I know and can try to find a fix; or just not worry about it.

The textures pop in as I move (tcl) towards the area. It's just a bit unsightly; spoils the view somewhat.

I never used Dyndolod or any LOD mods in previous playthroughs. Nor have I used ENBs.

I have used only the High Resolution Texture pack and some very minor graphical improvements to skin and hair etc

Up to this I have used mostly quality of life and gameplay mods with the focus on enhancing more or less vanilla gameplay

At the moment I want to build another install for a playthrough and I've been undecided whether to go with LE or SE

I dont actually like any of the graphical 'improvements' in SE and I disabled them all last week when I was trying out SE for the first time properly

I like Skyrim crisp and clear like an Alpine lake; I dislike graphical enhancements that blur everything and make the game look muddy, like TAA does

SE looks good without the special effects - but a little over saturated compared to LE.

As you can see I'm still undecided which version to go with

From what I see at STEP it looks as though most of the focus has been on LE - is that right?  And if so is that still the case?

Any comments or suggestions welcomed

Thanks

HQLODS is fastest way to get rid of the problem.  (You can see before and after screens with the same problem)

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/4834/?tab=images

You could always slap Lodgen or Dyndolod too obviously. I believe both of them should remove the problem too.

PS Culling data fix is generally for the sea problems.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/78241

It has been LE historically, but there's a general shift that going on to SE. Really, it's question of taste and what you are willing to put up with... not as many mods to choose from (SE) or CTD management (LE).

Thank you both for feedback  ::):