"Convert nifs of various formats and export as simple 3D static for LOD"

soupdragon

Question

Greetings. I'm having difficulty understanding some documentation I wonder if you could help me.

Specifically  its generating 3d static Trees for LOD. In the "DynDOLOD_CreateStaticTree.html" document it mentions editing merge.txt and changing some of the lines. In particular I'm having trouble understanding the following:

Worldspace= name of exported nif - ok give it a name, I think

DontMergeShapes= False - ok I'm not trying to merge anything so I'll set this to true (I think)

PassThruMeshMask= part of filename to match to keep shader, if it doesn't match the shader will get default LOD *.bto settings which is not usefull :) - ok this is the one I'm really stuck on. Which "part of filename" are we talking about here? Does it need to be the same name or something else? I honestly have no idea what any of this means.

PathOutput= where the nif should be exported PathData= path to nif folder - think I've got these covered.

TIA

Edited by soupdragon

1 answer to this question

The included ..DynDOLOD\Docs\trees.ultra\tools\re-uv\merge.txt is typically fine.

It sets the output filename Worldspace=merged

It sets DontMergeShapes=False as you figured out.

It sets PassThruMeshMask=nif, so that any input model keeps its current shader and does not set the default LOD shader settings.

It sets PathOutput=.\output\, which means the file "merged.nif" will be created in a subfolder "output" of the current folder.

It sets PathData=.\ to the current folder, so it expects the input files in the current folder.

It then has one object line 

0 0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 1.0 file.nif

which means it expects the input file.nif in the current folder.

You can test it by copying your source nif to ..DynDOLOD\Docs\trees.ultra\tools\re-uv\file.nif and the run merge.bat in the same folder. The new subfolder output with the merged.nif should appear.