High Quality LODs (by Ethatron)

stoppingby4now

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

STEP 2.2.6 contains insufficient info considering this mod.

Especially:

1) suggests to use high res meshes in baseline, but should it be only meshes?

2) which texture pack should be chosen for the STEP build? it looks like Serious HD as it is loaded last from these texture packs.

3) which baseline texture and normals resolutions should be chosen?

• 1 month later...

Allright I'll provide the definite answer to the HQLOD issues discussed in the 2.2.7 thread. Full STEP: Extended install (but issues also occurs with vanilla or STEP:Core). Not a single texture has been DDSopted. 

The problem I described in the 2.2.7 thread concerning purple LOD is a problem with the SRO 256 resolution textures only. The SRO 128 and 512 resolutions look fine. Normals, regardless of resolution, do not have any negative effect. All pictures use the Hi-Res Meshes. AA and other effects disabled to ensure nothing else can be the culprit. Otherwise 100% STEP:Extended install. 

EDIT: Removed the edit again lol

I hope someone can reproduce the issues, I'm confident that you will!

Textures 256 + Normals 64        Textures 256 + Normals 128     Textures 256 + Normals 256

Posted Image             Posted Image          Posted Image

Textures 512 + Normals 64        Textures 512 + Normals 128     Textures 512 + Normals 256

Posted Image             Posted Image          Posted Image   

Textures 128 + Normals 64        Textures 128 + Normals 128     Textures 128 + Normals 256

Posted Image             Posted Image          Posted Image

This is something I'll have to investigate as to why we aren't using the normals. It may be that the normals are replaced by something else later in the install (or was at one point but might not be any longer...we've done a LOT of LOD compares and studying for the2.2.7 release; thus, some things did change.)

Nothing overwrites the LODs in my install... If the normals aren't used then there will be much less detail (again, using Full STEP:Extended so there's no othe rmod that makes up for it as you can see)

But you should really see for yourself if the HQLOD-SRO textures 256 also cause the purple textures for you... If they do then STEP should probably have a note saying not to install the 256 but the 128 or 512 instead.

It's possible that the Normals were overwritten by a different LOD mod that was removed from STEP in the past? That's my guess as to why they aren't recommended.

That would be mine as well. I'm still not intimately familiar with all aspects of all mods and their recommendations as I've only been a release coordinator of a few months. However, I'm quickly changing that and currently know more than ever on the "whys" and "why nots" for each mod. I'll download and look into the purple issue and of any conflicts within my own installs. Check back in a bit for results....coffee! Need coffee! :wacko:

This is just my assessment so you guys tell me your thoughts.

• I have confirmed the 256 textures are messed up for at least the LOD snow. That means that option is off the table.
  • I feel that the 128 textures blend better than the 512 textures. So I would go for the 128, but...
  • The normals are messed up for the 256 so that is also off the table. Between the 64 and 128, I can't tell a lick of difference, but...
However! There are some hard, very visible lines created when using certain options:

128x Textures              512x Textures

Posted Image Posted Image

Notice in the first shot there is a hard texture line down the middle. The 512x textures resolve this issue. Since the 256x textures are messed up. We have to go with the 512. Next, the normals:

64x Normals                 128x Normals

Posted Image Posted Image

As you can see, the texture seams (bottom of images) are back with either of the normals added in and the color is off (LOD snow is too bright). The 128x normal is even worse! These are the most likely reasons the normals are not recommended and; therefore, will remain unrecommended.

Any thoughts? Objections?

1) Nice to know that it wasn't my setup!

2) I personalyl find the 512 textures better than the 128... Also your statement is slightly confusing because you say the 128 blend better but below the pics you say 'we have to go with the 512'. :P Either way, if the 512 solves the line issues from 128... I'd say go for 512. 

3)  haha I actually had an edit in my 1st post saying that the 256 normals were f**cked up, but then I deleted the edit because I thought the author must have intended them like that since the effect becomes progressively stronger going from 64-128-256 normals! lol. 

Keep in mind that Enhanced Distant Terrain 2 conflicts with these LOD textures and EDT2 is better. that is why we don't install these textures (including normals IIRC)

You do install the textures though, don't you? You install the SRO 512 textures. 
No. that note needs to be changed ... it would be good to have confirmation that EDT2 textures conflict, since I am not in a position to verify at the moment.