Shoutbox

rootsrat

Question

Hi guys.

Did you think about implementing a shoutbox to the forum? I think it would speed up communication sometimes, and generally things like that tend to bind the community.

I can recommend a good SB plugin, I'm using it on my forum, that is also MyBB based.

Isn't there a risk that useful contributions and debates could get lost in the Shoutbox' date=' instead of captured in proper threads?  Same applies to Chat, of course, but that appears to be largely moot.[/quote']

Copy and Paste, I'd say. 

Besides, much of the convos are lost in 100-posts-long threads anyway methinks.

Isn't there a risk that useful contributions and debates could get lost in the Shoutbox' date=' instead of captured in proper threads?  Same applies to Chat, of course, but that appears to be largely moot.[/quote']

It's possible. I'm not convinced a shoutbox is appropriate for us, but who knows. And such contributions definitely could get lost in the chat as well, but it allows a more formal chat. Many may not even really pay attention to the CHAT link in the top bar though.

Isn't there a risk that useful contributions and debates could get lost in the Shoutbox' date=' instead of captured in proper threads?  Same applies to Chat' date=' of course, but that appears to be largely moot.[/quote'']

Copy and Paste, I'd say. 

Over a long time that's true, but I quite like the fact that I can return after a couple of days and see how the conversation threads I was following have progressed. 

Isn't there a risk that useful contributions and debates could get lost in the Shoutbox' date=' instead of captured in proper threads?  Same applies to Chat' date=' of course, but that appears to be largely moot.[/quote'']

Copy and Paste, I'd say. 

Shoutboxes would not be a good solution for serious discussion. That's why the forums exist as they provide permanency and remain searchable. I for one don't want to have to monitor a shoutbox for potential goodies and go through the process of having to copy and paste information, especially as users are posting new messages.

Shoutbox should be used for quick support, discussing non-STEP related mods, modding in general, Skyrim's lore and quests (that don't get discussed on these forums nearly enough), bashing the admins behind their back, unrelated debates that don't deserve archiving for the future generations, etc.

At least that's what we've used the current Chat for anyway.