STEP v2.2.1 Official Bug Reports Thread

Farlo

BUG REPORTS ONLY PLEASE!

Feel free to report any guide or potentially mod-related bug. Those issues will be fixed, if possible, in the next STEP update.

Progress on the next STEP release can be found in this forum.  Make sure to check back often for updates!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shouldn't 'HRDLC Optimized' have a note saying use the 'Unofficial High Resolution Patch --COMPATIBLE VERSION--' optional file?

'Closer Quivers & Longer Arrows' has Dragonborn support. It should be added to the notes.

'Greatsword Sheathes & Scabbards' --> 'Greatsword Sheaths & Scabbards'.

:ox:

'More Village Animals' has been cleaned by the author, the warning should be removed.

'Deadly Spell Impacts' optional "Frost +10% Transparency" was apparently responsible for freezing my game when magic was used. Removing it = no freezing so far and it only began freezing when I started using the optional file.

If it doesn't effect you, good for you.

And yes, frost effects/magic caused my game to freeze, ha ha, go ahead and laugh, I don't care.

Shouldn't 'HRDLC Optimized' have a note saying use the 'Unofficial High Resolution Patch --COMPATIBLE VERSION--' optional file?

'Closer Quivers & Longer Arrows' has Dragonborn support. It should be added to the notes.

'Greatsword Sheathes & Scabbards' --> 'Greatsword Sheaths & Scabbards'.

'More Village Animals' has been cleaned by the author, the warning should be removed.

• The download page says the "Compatible" version is v1.1.1 while the "Universal" version is v2.0, is it still necessary when using both?
  • Note added.
  • Moved it.  How have you not noticed until now? :P
  • Note removed.

If using the HR-DLC Optimized, yes.

In a nutshell:

HR-DLC Optimized » Use Compatible version

Official HR-DLC » Use UHRP

Alright, note added.  Also moved this discussion to the Bug Reports thread, it has nothing to do with the next release.

Thanks for keeping up' date=' Farlo. I am diving back into the supporting guides, so let me know if you need any help out here or on the Nexus ... I haven't contributed at all on that forum for awhile now.[/quote']

Those forums have become a lot more manageable since we left, don't worry about those.  There was a post regarding the complexity and noob-unfriendliness of the WB guide, you should make sure that gets some time as well.  If we're going to be pushing people towards WB so heavily we might want to actually show them how to use it.

The WB guide goes into painstaking detail in describing how to use WB for managing the mod installation, which is the main objective, and it is updated as much as possible I think (aside from lacking info on plugin management, which is still not quite evolved enough yet in Wrye Smash).

If people want something that is shorter and more like a Quick Start guide, then I will leave that for discussion on the Talk page ... I cannot envision how to simplify the process description without losing all of the meaning. The main point of WB is to learn how to package mods and understand their conflicts in order to achieve a result and facilitate alterations. It is sort of like model building in a way.

Besides, the standard help goes into the functionality of the app, while the WBG describes how to use. People just need to read or start a Q&A on the talk page so that we can get into some specifics and address them that way.

I'll try to add in some information to make it more noob and user friendly. There are too many users complaining that the guide isn't user friendly for newcomers to just ignore it because these reports have been coming in for months. I honestly think it's just too technical for some people and some things just need to be "dumbed down" a bit and be more of a step-by-step guide to get it up and running because that's all most care about doing. The more in-depth stuff can come later in the guide. It might even be good to create two guides... "Getting Started WB Guide" and "Advanced WB Guide"?

I'll try to add in some information to make it more noob and user friendly. There are too many users complaining that the guide isn't user friendly for newcomers to just ignore it because these reports have been coming in for months. I honestly think it's just too technical for some people and some things just need to be "dumbed down" a bit and be more of a step-by-step guide to get it up and running because that's all most care about doing. The more in-depth stuff can come later in the guide. It might even be good to create two guides... "Getting Started WB Guide" and "Advanced WB Guide"?

That is precisely the problem. I cannot describe a simple way to use WB. It is not a simple program to use, because it forces the user to understand what is happening ... there are way too many options, and it is designed to allow near-complete control. Thus, it has sacrificed some of the automation that would assist the user in judgements. There are too many if/ands/buts presented for user judgement, and we are assisting with this using the install recommendations for each mod where applicable.

This is why NMM is not fit for viable use with STEP. The user simply has not nearly enough control over the installation.

If you want, go ahead and add the content you think is most important for each existing page of the WB Guide. Place each brief-and-to-the-point snippet inside of a {{Sidebox|||}} like this example. This makes the same guide relevant to all types in that a core breadcrumb of boxes can be followed with embellishment all around that is relevant to the box at hand. The existing content remains, but you insert the shortened steps that you envision inside the boxes.

Turns out that optional file is just a loose files version of the UHRP

Proof: https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/561890-bethesda-hi-res-dlc-optimized-endorsements/?p=7330512

I noticed... I just didn't bother until now :ermm:

Are you really sure about that? I just did a quick compare of the file sizes and the *compatible version*  is about 20mb smaller than the original UHRP. I see that some of the change might be through losing the compression that a bsa provides. But 20mb?