Traps Make Noise (by kryptopyr)

justjr

Traps Make Noise

Shouldn't that depend of personal choice though? I mean, vanilla traps are pretty much just for looks as it is.
Both yes and no. No, if you are following STEPs recommendations. Which is the whole point of this site isn't it? :)

In this case it may not matter much whichever you choose but since mods work the way they do within the confinement of the Skyrim engine, many many things start to become dependent on each other like a big puzzle. If you make too many deviations you have to start making your own patches and the whole thing becomes an unstable mess. STEP is like a complete setup that, with some reservations, work pretty well on the baseline machines I suppose. Boy! I'm rambling today.

Traps Make Noise

Shouldn't that depend of personal choice though? I mean, vanilla traps are pretty much just for looks as it is.
I suppose you're right, but in the spirit in which this mod was accepted, the Traps Make Noise version would be the obvious choice. Whether we would want to change to the dangerous one, I have no idea.

• 2 weeks later...

The spirit of this mod is when you set off a trap it should alert nearby enemies (unless your enemies are completely dimwitted). That is the purpose of this mod. You make a loud noise, enemies are alerted. In that there is an optional available that I think we should consider adding. This is "Mining Makes Noise". Why? Well...because it does! It adds the same functionality as the main mod, but for when you are mining ore. If traps alert nearby enemies, so should mining in an area with enemies nearby. Really a no-brainer, IMO.

As for the Traps are Dangerous main file, I'm not completely sold on it. Someone will have to convince me of it's merit.

The spirit of this mod is when you set off a trap it should alert nearby enemies (unless your enemies are completely dimwitted). That is the purpose of this mod. You make a loud noise, enemies are alerted. In that there is an optional available that I think we should consider adding. This is "Mining Makes Noise". Why? Well...because it does! It adds the same functionality as the main mod, but for when you are mining ore. If traps alert nearby enemies, so should mining in an area with enemies nearby. Really a no-brainer, IMO.

As for the Traps are Dangerous main file, I'm not completely sold on it. Someone will have to convince me of it's merit.

Re Mining Makes Noise - just to bear in mind that this mod replaces the actual mining script. I don't think it conflicts with anything in STEP, but we'd need to double check if any other mods overwrite this scripts.

One problem about Mining Makes Noise is that it may alert enemies when their own allies are mining, not just the player.

You will see with the Traps Make Noise script that enemies will come and investigate swinging axe traps when they activate with humorous consequences. Since so many NPCs in dungeons are mining, their allies will be running all over the place to check who is doing the mining.

To be honest, Mining Breaks Sneak may be a better idea.

• 5 months later...

Whenever I try to rebuilt my Bashed Patch with this mod activated Wrye automatically deselects it from my load order and creates the Bashed Patch without it. If I try to reactivate it in my plugins panel in MO it only stays selected for a few seconds and is deselected automatically. If I open Wrye the plugin is green but has an + instead of the checked-hook.

What can I do?

Never. Don't even know how to get there ::):.

Suprisingly if I rebuilt my Bashed Patch, activate the .esp and start SKSE launcher fast enough there is a chance the plugin stays activated even after a restart...

Edited by BUBISHI

Bubi... the point is that you don't NEED it activated. As Smile pointed out, it's been made a part of the bashed patch, and so replaces it in your load order. No need to have it turned on at all.

Good. Matter solved. Thank you. Must have missed the part in the STEP guide where this is said.

• 5 months later...

One problem about Mining Makes Noise is that it may alert enemies when their own allies are mining, not just the player. Since so many NPCs in dungeons are mining, their allies will be running all over the place to check who is doing the mining. To be honest, Mining Breaks Sneak may be a better idea.

Is this still true that NPCs that are mining will trigger other NPCs to go alert and investigate as if their own mining practice is making unusual noises?  And also, where is this "Mining Breaks Sneak" mod?