DDSopt & BSAopt question

apopirate

Question

I followed the guide in optimizing vanilla texture (HRDLC1,2,3,STD) using DDSopt. After packing them and installing using wyre bash, i'm getting blue distant background.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=127810461

Does anyone know why, did I make a mistake somewhere?

Also, after optimizing the dawnguard and hearthfires bsa, I get missing text, particularly with warewolf skill/perk menu. On the skill description, it just say LOOKUP FAILED. The menu works fine. I can still spend perk-point, but the description has LOOKUP FAILED. I'm also getting "LOOKUP FAILED" message everytime I feed on human heart.

Last problem, when optimizing the 6 vanilla non-texture bsa as described in the guide, I'll get CTD as soon as the game loads. 

Please help, as I want to start installing STEP and start playing

I am having probably the same issue.  See here: https://i.imgur.com/y3T4qNg.jpg

The issue is that I did copy the ddsopt ini from the wiki page a couple days ago before optimizing.  Please let me know how to fix this if you could. 

I followed the guide exactly as far as I am aware.  The only thing I have installed from Wrye Bash is the STD and HRDLC textures as loose files after optimization (were .7z compressed)   Mod list is Skyrim.esm, Update.esm, Dawnguard.esm, Hearthfires.esm, Dragonborn.esp, HighResTexturePack01.esp,HighResTexturePack02.esp, HighResTexturePack03.esp and Bashed Patch, 0.esp is checked as well.

EDIT: Ok so I looked at that file again and it does appear to be slighlty less bytes than the original. For some reason the ini didnt take effect with that? I will try copying vanilla sky and effect folder over, recompress and see what happens.

EDIT2: Argh. After copying over original Sky and Effect textures, now the big horizon line it is just a different color. https://i.imgur.com/inRd37V.jpg ???

The issue is that I did copy the ddsopt ini from the wiki page a couple days ago before optimizing.  Please let me know how to fix this if you could. 

I followed the guide exactly as far as I am aware.  The only thing I have installed from Wrye Bash is the STD and HRDLC textures as loose files after optimization (were .7z compressed)   Mod list is Skyrim.esm, Update.esm, Dawnguard.esm, Hearthfires.esm, Dragonborn.esp, HighResTexturePack01.esp,HighResTexturePack02.esp, HighResTexturePack03.esp and Bashed Patch, 0.esp is checked as well.

EDIT: Ok so I looked at that file again and it does appear to be slighlty less bytes than the original. For some reason the ini didnt take effect with that? I will try copying vanilla sky and effect folder over, recompress and see what happens.

EDIT2: Argh. After copying over original Sky and Effect textures, now the big horizon line it is just a different color. https://i.imgur.com/inRd37V.jpg ???

I don't see the purple sky effect in your screens. I believe that this is the way it is supposed to look. ENB helps though.

Kelmych, can you confirm?

I don't see the purple sky effect in your screens. I believe that this is the way it is supposed to look. ENB helps though.

Kelmych, can you confirm?

I looked from High Hrothgar and I see similar horizon effects. My impression is that the horizon line itself is the top of the "band" you see, and the rest of the band is just stuff too far away to see distinctly but not sky.

That sounds like a lot of work, haha.

Would this process of putting the original Skyrim BSA files be like that I just did for replacing the DDS book files with the original PNG files (the missing step 4 of the DDSoptimzation process that is discussed on the previous thhread page here)?

If "Lookup Failed!" is just a missing graphic, and will have no effect on the main Dawnguard quest, it's not a huge deal to be without the main quest description. Sure, I'd prefer it to be there, but if troubleshooting/fixing it will be difficult...

Don't count on it being only a texture... It might be something gamebreaking.

I don't know how you set up your optimized vanilla files. If you repacked them as bsa, swap them with the original bsa. If you kept them as loose files, deinstall the files and put back their corresponding bsa one by one.

(Deep breath)

I followed the DDSopt instructions to the letter (and posted many clarifying questions in the main DDSopt thread so that I didn't screw anything up).

My optimized vanilla files are BSA form. Would you suggest that I replace only the optimized Dawnguard.bsa in the Skyrim>Data folder with the original vanilla Dawngaurd.bsa?

Replacing all of them seems like it would be undoing the entire DDSopt process, would it not?

The optimized Dawnguard.bsa is 679,152 KB and the original vanilla one is 1,159,708 KB. Big difference! What size if your optimized Dawnguard.bsa?

Also, would doing this require a new game restart? I am at level 15 and don't really look forward to beginning again, though I guess I will if I might have a broken Dawngaurd install.

The DDSopt guide recommends that you make two folders (outside of the Skyrim folder), an "Original Vanilla BSAs" folder and an "Optimized Vanilla BSAs" folder. Whenever you optimize a vanilla BSA put a copy of the original BSA in one and a copy of the optimized BSA in the other. This makes it easy to switch between them when needed (by copying the appropriate one to the Skyrim\Data folder).