350 replies to this topic

#31 Faitmaker

Faitmaker

Prisoner

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:18 PM

General]
;--sOblivionMods is the Alternate root directory for installers, etc.

; It is strongly recommended that you do NOT put it anywhere under the
; game install directory itself, because Oblivion.exe will search through
; every directory under the install directory.
; This "directory thrashing" can then cause performance problems during gameplay.
; sOblivionMods is defined specifically to circumvent this bug by storing files elsewhere.
sOblivionMods=..\Skyrim Mods

;--sInstallersData is the directory containing data about which installers
; are installed by Wrye Bash. This is where 'Installers.dat' and 'Converters.dat'
; are stored. Only change this for advanced configuration, such as when using
; mTES4 Manager or MOM to manage multiple Oblivion installs. In those cases,
; it is recommended to set this to a subdirectory of either "My Games/Oblivion"
; or "Oblivion/Mopy", so mTES4 Manager/MOM will move these files when changing
; clones/images.
sInstallersData=..\Skyrim Mods\Bash Installers\Bash

;--sBashModData is the directory containing data about your mods, ini edits, etc.
; Only change this for advanced configuration, such as when using mTES4 Manager
; or MOM to manage multiple Oblivion installs. In those cases, it is recommended
; to set this to a subdirectory of either "My Games/Oblivion" or "Oblivion/Mopy",
; so mTES4 Manager/MOM will move these files when changing clones/images.
sBashModData=..\Skyrim Mods\Bash Mod Data 

OK, not sure exactly what Steam Mover does, but as long as your relative Skyrim-Steam directory structure remain the same, this should be fine (Skyrim Mods/ should be beside Skyrim/ and that is all that matters).

Steam Mover moves all your skyrim files (or any steam game) to a place of your choosing and uses symbolic links to fool steam. My files exist in C:\Games\Skyrim but if you go to C:\Program Files\ETC, you will still find them under the steam folder. It is a nice clean way for a user not familiar with SL to be able to use them to move their Steam files.. In this case, he moved them to his very fast SSD but Steam still thinks they are on the system drive.

#32 MontyMM

MontyMM

High King

• Site Founders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:59 PM

@s4n I couldn't claim to gain anything by that approach, it's just a sort of 'thinking bias' if you like. I like to see a list of clean, static archives, knowing that all decisions have been resolved, and nothing variable remains. Once I've chosen the colour of my high definition rabbits, I'm happy enough to live with that decision. :happy:

#33 z929669

z929669

Ixian Inventor

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,258 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:30 PM

Had a read through and I would like to say this is excellent work! Have plenty of experience using WB, cant see anything wrong with your guide.

One question though, what are the advantages of creating a BAIN format archive with a BCF over manually reorganizing the badly structured archive into the classic format, i.e. picking and choosing the textures you want and adding them to a data folder which can the be re-archived by WB? In your complex example with the SRO mod, I would just have placed the core textures files under a data folder, then followed The Compilers advise if given, resulting in a classic archive structure.

I understand why, if you would like to easily switch between different customizations of the same mod. I see it being useful if you have a very large mod, Skyrim 2k or similar, but for most mods in STEP it would be much easier to just repack them normally in a non BAIN format. But maybe im misunderstanding the point.

I understand exactly what you are saying ;)

I went through the rather exhausting process of explaining complex package restructure because ... well ... I am pretty anal :P

If anyone else out there is like me, they can follow along, and those that are not so persnickety can simply say 'screw it!' and toss the garbage and go simple :thumbsup:

My personal general rule is that if two variants modify the same thing and were either packed by or created by the same mod author(s), I complex BAIN them for record-keeping purposes. No need to worry about looking at conflicts, since I KNOW the nature of the conflict by the very fact that they are adjacent sub-packages within the same BAIN.

#34 z929669

z929669

Ixian Inventor

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,258 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:33 PM

Just started using the guide and good so far. One suggestion though. The part that says:

"Be certain to global replace the ‘/Oblivion’ directory references to ‘/Skyrim’ and
DO NOT simply do a global replace of ‘Oblivion’ with ‘Skyrim’ or you
will break the INI, since certain variable names must remain unchanged
even in Skyrim: e.g., ‘sOblivion=’)."

Should be:

Be certain to global replace the ‘\Oblivion’ directory references to ‘\Skyrim’ and
DO NOT simply do a global replace of ‘Oblivion’ with ‘Skyrim’ or you
will break the INI, since certain variable names must remain unchanged
even in Skyrim: e.g., ‘sOblivion=’).

I used forward slashes like it said without even thinking about it and then wondered why none of my mods showed up under the Installers tab. Should be edited IMO. Thanks for site, guide and future help this site will bring!

good points... all I can say is that I work in the spirit of Unix/Linux, so prefer forward slashes. Windows understands either, but Python interprets in a much more discriminating fashion, so I will change all '/' to '\'
:thumbsup:

#35 MadWizard25

MadWizard25

Thane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:22 AM

Noticed a potential error regarding the "Install & Configure Wrye Bash" section of your guide. When looking at the second bullet point, it is recommended to extract contents of the Game Definitions archive to skyrim/Mopy/bash. However, the file structure of the Game Definitions I downloaded from Skyrim Nexus is Mopy/bash/game, which mirrors the file structure of the Mopy folder. I extracted skyrim.py and oblivion.py to the game subfolder. Are we supposed to extract from game to bash directory, or from game to game directory? WB: Standalone version 295.5 Game Definitions: Version 1-22-2012-rev2

#36 stoppingby4now

stoppingby4now

Sleepy

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,281 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 04:38 AM

Good catch. If you are unpacking the Mopy directory from the root of the archive, that should indeed be extracted into the Skryim\ root folder.

#37 z929669

z929669

Ixian Inventor

• Administrators
  • 9,258 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:09 AM

Good catch. If you are unpacking the Mopy directory from the root of the archive, that should indeed be extracted into the Skryim\ root folder.

Correct, will fix as I move the guide over into the wiki. about 25% complete right now.

#38 GraPhiXJuNkiE

GraPhiXJuNkiE

Guard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:34 PM

I'm making HI Res Glass and Armor Retex (STEP 2-) into a bain (using the guide) and have a problem. The BAIN comes up grey because it's skipping:

Readme.txt
armor\glass\f\curiass.dds
armor\glass\m\boots.dds
armor\glass\m\curiass.dds
armor\glass\m\gauntlet.dds
armor\glass\m\helmet.dds

Which means they won't be installed IIUC. How to fix this? Thanks...

#39 z929669

z929669

Ixian Inventor

• Administrators
  • 9,258 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:37 PM

@GraPhix Can you post a screen of the Explorer view of the 'BAIN' structure (as I do in the guide)? It will be easier to spot the error then.

#40 GraPhiXJuNkiE

GraPhiXJuNkiE

Guard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:52 AM

@GraPhix

Can you post a screen of the Explorer view of the 'BAIN' structure (as I do in the guide)? It will be easier to spot the error then.

Sure.

Posted Image

It's skipping the:

armor\glass\m\boots.dds

armor\glass\m\helmet.dds

I assume it just doesn't recognize the structure..?

The structure is like that for ALL the armor variations...

#41 frihyland

frihyland

Dwemer Lord

• Site Founders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,087 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:12 AM

the readme is incorrectly titled if you rename it modname.txt it will install correctly to the docs directory. As for the rest your directory structure looks fine, except the base level 2-glass_armor_weapons_pack etc.. is not gonna fly in a bain package, the base should be 00 blue armor, 01 green armor, 02 violet armor, etc...

#42 GraPhiXJuNkiE

GraPhiXJuNkiE

Guard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:40 PM

except the base level 2-glass_armor_weapons_pack etc.. is not gonna fly in a bain package, the base should be 00 blue armor, 01 green armor, 02 violet armor, etc...

No,no... That's just the way it displayed in explorer. My structure is this:

00 Blue Sapphire Armor\textures\armor\glass\m\

00 Blue Sapphire Armor\textures\armor\glass\f\

It's the files under "f" and "m" that are being skipped...

all the other colors go 01,02,03,etc...

#43 frihyland

frihyland

Dwemer Lord

• Site Founders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,087 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 01:18 PM

are you sure the files are there, and valid? skyrim automatically validates files and if they are fishy it won't install them. try opening the .dds files with Compressonator Also might try using underscores instead of spaces in the directory names.

#44 GraPhiXJuNkiE

GraPhiXJuNkiE

Guard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:26 PM

are you sure the files are there

Yeppers...

valid?

Pretty sure. They worked with manual install..

skyrim automatically
validates files and if they are fishy it won't install them. try opening
the .dds files with Compressonator

Just making STEP mods into BAINs. Haven't tried installing anything yet...

Also might try using underscores instead of spaces in the directory names.

No difference...

I think it's a sub folder thing because when I pull one of variations (ie blue sapphire..) out of the main folder and make it into a simple BAIN it comes up normal with NO skipped files. Go figure...

Thanks for the help so far frihyland... 
Also, do .esp's hafta be at the top level? Wanna make a BAIN of 26 Moons and want to seperate the Masser ans Secunda .esps into sub folders...
*EDIT* Yes you can. You just hafta deactivate the .esp's you don't want...

#45 z929669

z929669

Ixian Inventor

• Administrators
  • 9,258 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 03:46 PM

@GraPhix

Can you post a screen of the Explorer view of the 'BAIN' structure (as I do in the guide)? It will be easier to spot the error then.

Sure.

Posted Image

It's skipping the:

armor\glass\m\boots.dds

armor\glass\m\helmet.dds

I assume it just doesn't recognize the structure..?

The structure is like that for ALL the armor variations...

The BAIN is fine. WB will recognize ANY standard file type under ANY standard directory including:

Data/
Data/textures/
00 Core/textures/

It doesn't matter what the structure under textures is, only the number of directories above textures matters (there cannot be more than one above before root).

When you select that BAIN, what do the package details reveal? Are the files of interest listed there (upper right corner under [General] tab)?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: guide

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users