Wrye Bash Guide

z929669

Question

The Beta Wrye Bash Guide to STEP Installation is available

on THE WIKI

Based on the advice I received from users here, I will be asking TC to host on his site if he wishes. I will also host right here on the STEP wiki site when final. It is not yet final, but I will make it so once we have a fully compatible BOSS-Wrye Bash implementation to support Skyrim v1.5.

@s4n

I couldn't claim to gain anything by that approach, it's just a sort of 'thinking bias' if you like. I like to see a list of clean, static archives, knowing that all decisions have been resolved, and nothing variable remains. Once I've chosen the colour of my high definition rabbits, I'm happy enough to live with that decision. :happy:

Had a read through and I would like to say this is excellent work! Have plenty of experience using WB, cant see anything wrong with your guide.

One question though, what are the advantages of creating a BAIN format archive with a BCF over manually reorganizing the badly structured archive into the classic format, i.e. picking and choosing the textures you want and adding them to a data folder which can the be re-archived by WB? In your complex example with the SRO mod, I would just have placed the core textures files under a data folder, then followed The Compilers advise if given, resulting in a classic archive structure.

I understand why, if you would like to easily switch between different customizations of the same mod. I see it being useful if you have a very large mod, Skyrim 2k or similar, but for most mods in STEP it would be much easier to just repack them normally in a non BAIN format. But maybe im misunderstanding the point.

I understand exactly what you are saying ;)

I went through the rather exhausting process of explaining complex package restructure because ... well ... I am pretty anal :P

If anyone else out there is like me, they can follow along, and those that are not so persnickety can simply say 'screw it!' and toss the garbage and go simple :thumbsup:

My personal general rule is that if two variants modify the same thing and were either packed by or created by the same mod author(s), I complex BAIN them for record-keeping purposes. No need to worry about looking at conflicts, since I KNOW the nature of the conflict by the very fact that they are adjacent sub-packages within the same BAIN.

Just started using the guide and good so far. One suggestion though. The part that says:

"Be certain to global replace the ‘/Oblivion’ directory references to ‘/Skyrim’ and

DO NOT simply do a global replace of ‘Oblivion’ with ‘Skyrim’ or you

will break the INI, since certain variable names must remain unchanged

even in Skyrim: e.g., ‘sOblivion=’)."

Should be:

Be certain to global replace the ‘\Oblivion’ directory references to ‘\Skyrim’ and

DO NOT simply do a global replace of ‘Oblivion’ with ‘Skyrim’ or you

will break the INI, since certain variable names must remain unchanged

even in Skyrim: e.g., ‘sOblivion=’).

I used forward slashes like it said without even thinking about it and then wondered why none of my mods showed up under the Installers tab. Should be edited IMO. Thanks for site, guide and future help this site will bring!

good points... all I can say is that I work in the spirit of Unix/Linux, so prefer forward slashes. Windows understands either, but Python interprets in a much more discriminating fashion, so I will change all '/' to '\'

:thumbsup:

Noticed a potential error regarding the "Install & Configure Wrye Bash" section of your guide. When looking at the second bullet point, it is recommended to extract contents of the Game Definitions archive to skyrim/Mopy/bash. However, the file structure of the Game Definitions I downloaded from Skyrim Nexus is Mopy/bash/game, which mirrors the file structure of the Mopy folder. I extracted skyrim.py and oblivion.py to the game subfolder. Are we supposed to extract from game to bash directory, or from game to game directory?

WB: Standalone version 295.5

Game Definitions: Version 1-22-2012-rev2

Good catch. If you are unpacking the Mopy directory from the root of the archive, that should indeed be extracted into the Skryim\ root folder.

Correct, will fix as I move the guide over into the wiki. about 25% complete right now.

I'm making HI Res Glass and Armor Retex (STEP 2-) into a bain (using the guide) and have a problem. The BAIN comes up grey because it's skipping:

Readme.txt

armor\glass\f\curiass.dds

armor\glass\m\boots.dds

armor\glass\m\curiass.dds

armor\glass\m\gauntlet.dds

armor\glass\m\helmet.dds

Which means they won't be installed IIUC. How to fix this? Thanks...

@GraPhix

Can you post a screen of the Explorer view of the 'BAIN' structure (as I do in the guide)? It will be easier to spot the error then.

Sure.

Posted Image

It's skipping the:

armor\glass\m\boots.dds

armor\glass\m\helmet.dds

I assume it just doesn't recognize the structure..?

The structure is like that for ALL the armor variations...

the readme is incorrectly titled if you rename it modname.txt it will install correctly to the docs directory. As for the rest your directory structure looks fine, except the base level 2-glass_armor_weapons_pack etc.. is not gonna fly in a bain package, the base should be 00 blue armor, 01 green armor, 02 violet armor, etc...

except the base level 2-glass_armor_weapons_pack etc.. is not gonna fly in a bain package, the base should be 00 blue armor, 01 green armor, 02 violet armor, etc...

No,no... That's just the way it displayed in explorer. My structure is this:

00 Blue Sapphire Armor\textures\armor\glass\m\

00 Blue Sapphire Armor\textures\armor\glass\f\

It's the files under "f" and "m" that are being skipped...

all the other colors go 01,02,03,etc...

are you sure the files are there

Yeppers...

valid?

Pretty sure. They worked with manual install..

skyrim automatically

validates files and if they are fishy it won't install them. try opening

the .dds files with Compressonator

Just making STEP mods into BAINs. Haven't tried installing anything yet...

Also might try using underscores instead of spaces in the directory names.

No difference...

I think it's a sub folder thing because when I pull one of variations (ie blue sapphire..) out of the main folder and make it into a simple BAIN it comes up normal with NO skipped files. Go figure...

Thanks for the help so far frihyland...

Also, do .esp's hafta be at the top level? Wanna make a BAIN of 26 Moons and want to seperate the Masser ans Secunda .esps into sub folders...

*EDIT* Yes you can. You just hafta deactivate the .esp's you don't want...

@GraPhix

Can you post a screen of the Explorer view of the 'BAIN' structure (as I do in the guide)? It will be easier to spot the error then.

Sure.

Posted Image

It's skipping the:

armor\glass\m\boots.dds

armor\glass\m\helmet.dds

The BAIN is fine. WB will recognize ANY standard file type under ANY standard directory including:

Data/

Data/textures/

00 Core/textures/

It doesn't matter what the structure under textures is, only the number of directories above textures matters (there cannot be more than one above before root).

When you select that BAIN, what do the package details reveal? Are the files of interest listed there (upper right corner under [General] tab)?

@GraPhix

Sure.

Posted Image

It's skipping the:

armor\glass\m\boots.dds

armor\glass\m\helmet.dds

The BAIN is fine. WB will recognize ANY standard file type under ANY standard directory including:

Data/

Data/textures/

00 Core/textures/

It doesn't matter what the structure under textures is, only the number of directories above textures matters (there cannot be more than one above before root).

When you select that BAIN, what do the package details reveal? Are the files of interest listed there (upper right corner under [General] tab)?

In the "General" tab the list looks like this:

== Overview

Type: Archive

Structure: Complex

Size: 97,235 KB (Solid, Block Size: Unknown)

Modified: 3/31/2012 3:08:08 PM

Data CRC: E893683A

Files: 166

Configured: 0 (0 KB)

Matched: 0

Missing: 0

Conflicts: 0

== Configured Files

There is NOTHING under ==Configured Files. Like I said if i make a simple BAIN of just one color variation, everything works fine...?