Photo

Naming Scheme for Automatic STEP

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,759 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:52 PM

This is the naming scheme I use and it works well for me.

STEP Section - Load order with section - Mod Name (nexus) - Mod version.

For example:
2G.04 Skyrim Flora Overhaul v175

This could be followed by the Nexus id if desired.

2G.04 Skyrim Flora Overhaul v175-141

I chose this scheme so I would know with a quick glace the section the mod belows to, the load order of the mod in that section, the name from nexus so I can more easily find it on nexus through searching, the mod version so I would know the version I have and if an update is available if the mod isn't tracked or I decide to check for updates manually. Using this scheme also keeps the mods in the correct load order in WB and Windows Explore when sorted by name.

For updates or optionals I append the name like so:

2G.14a Lanterns Of Skyrim - All In One - Main ESM for DAWNGUARD-v1-3
2G.14b Lanterns Of Skyrim - All In One - RLO

Adding the "a" for the main mod and "b" for the optional. This also keeps the load order correct in WB and in Explore.

#2 torminater

torminater

Dragon Prince

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:37 PM

What about a reference whether it's a core mod or not?

#3 z929669

z929669

Ixian Inventor

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,245 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:39 PM

I favor the following convention:

SECTION_Mod Short Name-v#.#-NexusID.7z

This is more compatible with WB, as one can right-click and jump to the Nexus this way (Nexus ID should be the last contiguous set of integers)

For BCFs, I propose the same convention:

SECTION_Mod Short Name-v#.#-BCF.7z

#4 z929669

z929669

Ixian Inventor

• Administrators
  • 9,245 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:42 PM

What about a reference whether it's a core mod or not?

Not necessary IMO, but not worthless either. Howeverm, there is also a lot of other info not being added that could be included, but none of that is as important as section, mod name, version number and Nexus ID.

#5 stoppingby4now

stoppingby4now

Sleepy

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,281 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:54 PM

Tech's format is better, as it keeps sorting accurate. You have to have a means of ensuring that order is interpreted correctly when importing in-mass.

If I had the time, I'd work on submitting a patch for WB, but for now they only correctly match on a Mod via a certain format (for being able to link to the Nexus page). So, a better format would be:

SECTION.ORDER-Mod Short Name-NexusID-#_#.7z

G.004-Skyrim Flora Overhaul-141-1_75.7z

BCF's would need to be the same, but with -BCF at the end. But, these will eventually become unnecessary once we can get a tool to repackage. Maintaining BCF's long term is just a PITA.

#6 MontyMM

MontyMM

High King

• Site Founders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:39 PM

I just want to clarify my initial scheme, so we're all on the same page.  The first experimental version will keep things simple. 
  • It will assume a baseline build. 
  • It will assume that all three DLC are present.
  • It is for the the non power-user who simply wants a functioning STEP build as quickly and easily as possible.
The process for the user will be:
  • User consults a list to download the required archives manually (as required by  the Nexus).
  • User places all the required archives in the Input folder.
  • User executes the script.
In the Output folder, new archives are created. These archives:
  • are configured according to STEP recommendations
  • are restructured ready for MO or Wrye
  • are renamed according to our specifications
  • contain only the files that will be used in that STEP build, removing file conflicts.

And that's about it.  These new archives are simple and ready to install without much further consideration.  I would then recommend that the user not update these STEP mods himself, but wait for the next regular STEP update, which will list the new files to download and process them automatically in the same manner.

I thought that a naming convention might look something like this:

STEP -
- - -

I think it's worth actually prefixing the name STEP, to distinguish from other mods.  Regarding BCFs, I consider them moot for this purpose, because we can achieve the same thing with these tools, but also apply the conversions outside of Wrye from the command line.  The simple scheme I've described is just one approach - there are countless ways we could apply conversions and repackaging.

#7 z929669

z929669

Ixian Inventor

• Administrators
  • 9,245 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:12 PM

Sounds perfect, Monty (see my previous post, other thread). This is exactly what the tasks are and exactly what I want to use. My next embarkment would then be to allow custom configuration using several different scripts, executed conditionally. Then I suppose it could be on to GUI and more sophisticated dev stuff. I would love a command-prompt tool though!

#8 stoppingby4now

stoppingby4now

Sleepy

• Administrators
  • 4,281 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:15 PM

I just want to clarify my initial scheme, so we're all on the same page.  The first experimental version will keep things simple. 

• It will assume a baseline build. 
  • It will assume that all three DLC are present.
  • It is for the the non power-user who simply wants a functioning STEP build as quickly and easily as possible.
The process for the user will be:
  • User consults a list to download the required archives manually (as required by  the Nexus).
  • User places all the required archives in the Input folder.
  • User executes the script.
In the Output folder, new archives are created. These archives:
  • are configured according to STEP recommendations
  • are restructured ready for MO or Wrye
  • are renamed according to our specifications
  • contain only the files that will be used in that STEP build, removing file conflicts.

And that's about it.  These new archives are simple and ready to install without much further consideration.  I would then recommend that the user not update these STEP mods himself, but wait for the next regular STEP update, which will list the new files to download and process them automatically in the same manner.

I thought that a naming convention might look something like this:

STEP -
- - -

I think it's worth actually prefixing the name STEP, to distinguish from other mods.  Regarding BCFs, I consider them moot for this purpose, because we can achieve the same thing with these tools, but also apply the conversions outside of Wrye from the command line.  The simple scheme I've described is just one approach - there are countless ways we could apply conversions and repackaging.

Section is enough to distinguish that it is in STEP IMO. If you were to include anything about STEP, it should include the version number.

Also refer to what I had above. It is imperative to have a number to match with installation order (the numbers are easily determined based on STEP:ModList/2.2.1 and future pages), and the order and format for nexus ID and version number are non-negotiable if you want users to be able to right click on a mod and link to the Nexus page.

#9 MontyMM

MontyMM

High King

• Site Founders
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:28 PM

[quote name=''z929669' pid='26078' dateline='1361319153']My next embarkment would then be to allow custom configuration using several different scripts' date=' executed conditionally. Then I suppose it could be on to GUI and more sophisticated dev stuff.[/quote']
Yep :yes:

[quote name=''stoppingby4now' pid='26079' dateline='1361319320']Also refer to what I had above. It is imperative to have a number to match with installation order (the numbers are easily determined based on STEP:ModList/2.2.1 and future pages)' date=' and the order and format for nexus ID and version number are non-negotiable if you want users to be able to right click on a mod and link to the Nexus page.[/quote']
That's clearly the way to handle the nexus ID and version, then.  Is it imperative to have an installation order number though, given that there will be no conflicting files to overwrite?

#10 stoppingby4now

stoppingby4now

Sleepy

• Administrators
  • 4,281 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:34 PM

[quote='MontyMM' pid='26083' dateline='1361320100']
[quote name=''stoppingby4now' pid='26079' dateline='1361319320']Also refer to what I had above. It is imperative to have a number to match with installation order (the numbers are easily determined based on STEP:ModList/2.2.1 and future pages)' date=' and the order and format for nexus ID and version number are non-negotiable if you want users to be able to right click on a mod and link to the Nexus page.[/quote']
That's clearly the way to handle the nexus ID and version, then.  Is it imperative to have an installation order number though, given that there will be no conflicting files to overwrite?[/quote]
Yes it is imperative. Not from the sense that everything needs it, but that you have the upfront sections where order is crucial for overwrites, and there are several mods that have add-ons that overwrite files from the appropriate base.

So, the reason that order is crucial is for adding mods in-mass. If you leave it based on what you and Z have layed out, you will wind up with mods sorted alphabetically, and not everything will line up. If you include the order, however, everything is guaranteed to line up and reduce the workload of the user post re-package to ensure that the entire order is accurate. The order ID is also automatically generated from the ModList, so it's not going to require any additional manual work (only programatic work in the tool(s)).

#11 z929669

z929669

Ixian Inventor

• Administrators
  • 9,245 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:44 PM

Tech's format is better, as it keeps sorting accurate. You have to have a means of ensuring that order is interpreted correctly when importing in-mass.

If I had the time, I'd work on submitting a patch for WB, but for now they only correctly match on a Mod via a certain format (for being able to link to the Nexus page). So, a better format would be:

SECTION.ORDER-Mod Short Name-NexusID-#_#.7z

G.004-Skyrim Flora Overhaul-141-1_75.7z

BCF's would need to be the same, but with -BCF at the end. But, these will eventually become unnecessary once we can get a tool to repackage. Maintaining BCF's long term is just a PITA.

Just to clarify, the Nexus ID needs to be like *NexusID<---->.7z

AFAIK, there can be up to four non-number, non-letter (other?) characters after the trailing Nexus ID

#12 MontyMM

MontyMM

High King

• Site Founders
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:46 PM

I think this is the misunderstanding - there will be no overwrites. When the mods are repackaged, only those files that will be required from each source archive will be included in the converted archives - files that would be overwritten are omitted. If you unpacked all the new archives into one folder, nothing would conflict.

#13 z929669

z929669

Ixian Inventor

• Administrators
  • 9,245 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:47 PM

[quote name=''MontyMM' pid='26094' dateline='1361321182']I think this is the misunderstanding - there will be no overwrites. When the mods are repackaged' date=' only those files that will be required from each source archive will be included in the converted archives - files that would be overwritten are omitted. If you unpacked all the new archives into one folder, nothing would conflict.[/quote']
That is definitely another way to handle conflicts, eh? ;)

EDIT: I can see though how a list order could be nice though. It would allow customization via the mod manager or the user interface... allowing a back-peddal now and again.

#14 MontyMM

MontyMM

High King

• Site Founders
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:55 PM

Sure, we can easily include the order numbers if it's otherwise helpful. I was just wanting to make sure we didn't have our wires crossed.

#15 stoppingby4now

stoppingby4now

Sleepy

• Administrators
  • 4,281 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:35 PM

[quote name=''MontyMM' pid='26094' dateline='1361321182']I think this is the misunderstanding - there will be no overwrites. When the mods are repackaged' date=' only those files that will be required from each source archive will be included in the converted archives - files that would be overwritten are omitted. If you unpacked all the new archives into one folder, nothing would conflict.[/quote']
The only problem with that is you disrupt the archive, causing it to be completely repackaged should upstream mod choices change which affect it. It also hinders testing. Why not let the mod installation tools that handle this perfectly well already continue to maintain conflicts?

You also have to keep in mind that STEP is not tied to Mod version. When a new version is released, and a user follows the guide at a later date, there is the potential for new (or removed) files. I just see this kind of extra management outside of the mod installers having the potential to cause far more problems than we are attempting to solve.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users