GPU for STEP Ultra.

envelope91

I have a gtx580 with 1.5 gb and have big problems because of stutter, when i go with too many 2048 texture mods, so i have to downgrade many mods to 1024 and i hate that.

I think to max out everything with 2k Mods you would need a 2 GB Vram Card minimum, but even then i would be afraid of some stutter from time to time (even on 1920x1080). If you want to be sure i would suggest 3 GB or even 4 GB (its kinda futureproof too).

My benchmarks btw from this week: https://forum.step-project.com/showthread.php?tid=1858

At some points i experienced medium stuttering and had to downgrade mods and shadows

I have a GTX 580 1.5GB at the moment too, and I'm getting by at 2560x1440.

SMAA, no hardware AA, everything on Ultra, mix of 1024 and 2048 textures, a little DDSopt optimisation and making sure your system is not draining resources. Perhaps a little memory bandwidth overclock, ATTK, disabling Aero.

I'm close to maxing out, but I manage. Almost upgraded to a 7970 3GB twice now, but the first time I would have to purchase two graphics cards, which was off putting (turned out to be a mistake to pass on that), the second time I had to decline the offer as the graphics card had no DVI-D Dual-link slots, even though it was top of the range of those series...

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a gtx580 with 1.5 gb and have big problems because of stutter, when i go with too many 2048 texture mods, so i have to downgrade many mods to 1024 and i hate that.

I think to max out everything with 2k Mods you would need a 2 GB Vram Card minimum, but even then i would be afraid of some stutter from time to time (even on 1920x1080). If you want to be sure i would suggest 3 GB or even 4 GB (its kinda futureproof too).

My benchmarks btw from this week: https://forum.step-project.com/showthread.php?tid=1858

At some points i experienced medium stuttering and had to downgrade mods and shadows

I have a GTX 580 1.5GB at the moment too, and I'm getting by at 2560x1440.

SMAA, no hardware AA, everything on Ultra, mix of 1024 and 2048 textures, a little DDSopt optimisation and making sure your system is not draining resources. Perhaps a little memory bandwidth overclock, ATTK, disabling Aero.

I'm close to maxing out, but I manage. Almost upgraded to a 7970 3GB twice now, but the first time I would have to purchase two graphics cards, which was off putting (turned out to be a mistake to pass on that), the second time I had to decline the offer as the graphics card had no DVI-D Dual-link slots, even though it was top of the range of those series...

I dsopted the HRDLC Packs and some official BSAs.

Extracted every BSA into loose files.

I use a mix of 1k and 2k, too.

I am using ATTk.

OCd the memory to 2050 Mhz.

Have Win 8, so idk if there is any aero around anymore. Don't think so.

So, i really do not know what to do anymore to eliminate all stuttering especially on wide outside areas. Stuttering is not bad at the moment, but on some places it's annoying, especially if you want to hunt something and turn around fast. If you have any other suggestions to optimize vram, please give it to me.

I didnt dsopt any mod, yet, only did a test and there was no real vram decrease.

• 1 month later...