Wiki edits

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My system IIRC is almost the same as torminator's laptop setup (he's one of the testers around here)-- we own the same model of laptop, the Dell XPS L502x; except my graphics card (Nvidia GT540 M GS) is weaker than his and my CPU (i7 2670 QM @ 2.2GHz) is around the same or better, I think. I've been running performance versions of Core STEP (with FPS still remaining miserably low though quite playable for me), but I do want to try out SR, if only because I'm already using many of the gameplay/items and quite a lot of the texture mods it has listed. *sigh* To that end I've been grabbing 1024 res textures where available and avoiding anything above 2048.

Seems sensible. If you can't get 1k textures you might want to consider using DDSOpt to reduce some of the others to 1k, espceilly if your performance is low - start with the HD-DLC (see Neo's instructions) and the stuff in Foundation except WATER. I found that optimizing textures helped a lot.

It would be quite wise as well to also install the HRDLC Optimized - install Hybrid + Vanilla Normal Maps and you should save quite a bit of VRAM. Be sure to use the compatible version of the UHRP instead of the normal UHRP. Using reduced size versions of the foundation mods can also work - SRO also has a 1024k version (google for the download link), or you can resize the 2k verison yourself.

Reducing normal map sizes also works too, and you should go and DDSopt the AV packages (possibly reducing to 1k size) as well.

I'm using SRO 1024k already, and 1024k on all the foundation mods where I can (Skyrim HD2K Lite, Serious HD 1024). I've optimised the Bethesda texture packs according to the guide-- should I use the HRDLC Optimized instead of those? I didn't think of DDSopting the AV packages, but I'll probably do that at some point.

Just to be sure-- are normal maps the DDS files that end with *_n.dds?

Yes, normal maps are the *_n.dds files. Bodies use *_msn.dds, but you often don't need to half-size those normals.

The optimized HRDLC does not replace the optimized Beth texture packs - it supplements it. It should be loaded immeditaly before the foundation mods (which is roughly where the HRDLC Optimized is in the STEP guide).

Consistent Older People

Author: Winterlove

Version: 1.5

Optionals (Via Installer): 10 Plugins All, 20 Assets All, 50 Bring Out Your Dead Patch

Warning:This mod is not currently in the BOSS master list.

To resolve the problem(s), perform the following:

Open Boss Userlist Manager.

Select SPTConsistentOlderPeopleCompatability.esp in the lower-left pane.

Click the "AFTER" selection box and select "BOTTOM".

In the adjacent text box type "Compatibility Patches" and click [save Rule].

Close Boss Userlist Manager and click [Yes] when prompted to save.

It's just me, or there isn't any installer in "Consistent Older People 15 All NPCs" file?

Consistent Older People

Author: Winterlove

Version: 1.5

Optionals (Via Installer): 10 Plugins All, 20 Assets All, 50 Bring Out Your Dead Patch

Warning:This mod is not currently in the BOSS master list.

To resolve the problem(s), perform the following:

Open Boss Userlist Manager.

Select SPTConsistentOlderPeopleCompatability.esp in the lower-left pane.

Click the "AFTER" selection box and select "BOTTOM".

In the adjacent text box type "Compatibility Patches" and click [save Rule].

Close Boss Userlist Manager and click [Yes] when prompted to save.

It's just me, or there isn't any installer in "Consistent Older People 15 All NPCs" file?
Did you get the BAIN package? You should see the list of files to choose if you did.

Meanwhile I've DDSOpted the Bethesda vanilla and hi res textures with constraints set to 1024x1024 and did a short test with just the textures, SKSE and no mods; no improvement in nearly everywhere I tested (cart ride, through Helgen and up till Riverwood meeting with Alvor). I don't think that FPS numbers of 15 and below are normal at High/Ultra settings with my rig, are they? I don't know if I'm doing something wrong now.

Texture size only affects memory load not FPS directly. The only time they affect performance is when they are loaded.. which can result in stutters. Once they are loaded into VRAM then the GPU has almost instant access to them until they are unloaded when you change cells, due to the high speed of GDDR5 RAM.

Also your card has 1.5Gb of VRAM as far as I can tell from spec pages.

So your low FPS issue is most likely due to something else. My guess would be the CPU intensive parts like shadows etc. (Here I also assume that you have made a performance power savings setup on your laptop when playing?)

My assumption is that scripts and lighting tend to cause persistent low FPS, while sudden drops are often due to loading cells. But I'm sure there's a lot more to it than that.

Maybe try reducing shadows or settings like that. IIRC, I got a substantial increase in FPS by reducing the SR recommended

iShadowMapResolutionPrimary=4096

iShadowMapResolutionSecondary=4096

down to 2048 with a 4GB GPU. With a 1.5 GB GPU maybe you should try 1048 for both or 2048 for primary and 1024 for secondary?

Lowering some of your grass, decals and other Display settings in your ini might help. I think the main STEP wiki pages have some suggestions regarding tweaking these to optimize performance and quality for different GPUs.

@Aiyen: There's a performance setting on my laptop, yes: however my laptop's power use profile is set to High Performance by default, since it's plugged in all the time. I'm not sure if this card has GDDR5 RAM however: I think at most it's GDDR3, since I got the laptop sometime in August 2011.

@statmonster: iShadowMapResolutionPrimary and iShadowMapResolutionSecondary was already reduced to 1024-- no help there either. Basically I went from Ultra settings to High settings with skyrim.ini and skyrimprefs.ini on the testing profile in MO, and there wasn't anything much of a performance increase.

Okay out of curiosity I have done some research and I did underestimate how old that card was! It only has DDR3, like you say, and a rather low memory bandwidth as well. So perhaps larger textures can in fact be a cause of general FPS drops when the memory is so slow.

I also compared it with my old GTX260 and it is less then 1/3 in power of that, and it had a small fight with full 1k textures. So I guess it is entirely possible. You might have to go even lower in settings until you hit a decent framerate. I would start with the drawing distances. If you still get low FPS with those below half of the max then there might not be much you can do. What really limits laptop GPU´s is the very limited amount of power you can throw into them... so they might look good on paper but they have next to no performance since they cannot be fed several hundred Watts of power.

@Aiyen: There's a performance setting on my laptop, yes: however my laptop's power use profile is set to High Performance by default, since it's plugged in all the time. I'm not sure if this card has GDDR5 RAM however: I think at most it's GDDR3, since I got the laptop sometime in August 2011.

@statmonster: iShadowMapResolutionPrimary and iShadowMapResolutionSecondary was already reduced to 1024-- no help there either. Basically I went from Ultra settings to High settings with skyrim.ini and skyrimprefs.ini on the testing profile in MO, and there wasn't anything much of a performance increase.

try with vanilla ini and default game profile in drivers settings. It's super hard to drop fps to 2-5 with hardware newer or equal to skyrim release date.