DDSopt - General Runtime for optimization?

Holymartyr

Question

Just started running DDSopt from the Wiki, and just got to the point where it is optimizing everything.

Anyone have an idea on how long it will take? DDSopt is estimating a full 24 hours ATM

I have a AMD Tri Core 3.5GHz OC (Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition) and 4GB of 1333 MHz DDR3 Ram.

Seems a bit long imo, but I've never done this before. Any feedback appreciated =)

Well I think I finally read enough about Wrye to get my optimized textures pack to work. Right now I'm so fizzled out that I'm not sure 1+1=2 (if you catch my drift)

When I got the optimized files, they were in this directory heirarchy:

• Vanilla Optimized
    • Skyrim - HRDLC FIX
    • textures
  • Skyrim - HRDLC1
    • textures
  • Skyrim - HRDLC2
    • textures
  • Skyrim - STD
    • textures
What I then did was take each of the texture files, and over wrote them 1 by 1, taking STD first, then HRDLC1, HRDLC 2, and finally HRDLC FIX.

This created one MASSIVE textures file, that I then used 7zip to create an archive (used the store method since that is the fastest - will this create a performance issue vs a fully compressed archive?), and dropped that into Wrye's Installers tab. Then right clicked that, and clicked 'Install'.

So now are the HD Optimized Textures installed? I have the Old HR DLC esp's disabled, and only the Bashed Patch, Skyrim.esp enabled (no clue what that is but I guess it's necessary lol)

Thanks once again for all your help. Not sure what to do with the title of this topic (if I can even change it) since it's moved more into a help category =3 Sorry for all the time this has taken and thank you very much once again!

P.S. Should Skyrim.esm and Update.esm be set as 'Active'?

Edit: Skyrim.esm and Update.esm need to be active for the USKP (Unoffical Skyrim Patch) to work. So I figured that out.

Still can't tell if the HD textures are loaded or not. Most everything I look at seems low quality. And another question, since I only have 1gb of VRam, should I be using the optimizer on every mod I download for step? I know a few authors out there already used it for their mod, but a large majority haven't. Last STEP that came out (2.0.1a), I followed completly and used the 2048 textures for mods that had it, and ended up with lagging from time to time. Not sure why, because turning down AA, Vsync and view distance didn't help either. Only thing I noticed was that GPU Vram usage was within 10mb of capping every time I checked it.

I think that you did everything correctly; however, I'd like Fri to confirm, as he is the expert on the HRDLC fix and how that works (I manually fixed my stuff and just pointed to Fri's instructions in the other guide to avoid re-creating that wheel :P)

For 7z, you want a compressed archive. Takes awhile, but it is worth it.

You DO NOT want to have the HighResTexurePack0*.esp ticked in the Mods Tab. They should not overwrite, but they will use up plugin slots. At this point you only need the two esms ticked. Bashed Patch is not necessary. If you don't see a texture diff, then it is because you are just used to HRDLC :yes: The point is that you are now using less VRAM with the optimized textures. You should also install Vano89's optimized HRDLC, as that will save you even more VRAM (see the numbers in the wiki table)

If the 7z installer has a green or yellow box with a '+' sign in the Installers Tab of WB, then rest assured that it is installed.

Hmm, =/ Not sure what you mean by ' didn't really follow either guide'

Mind clarifying? (Would like to know what I screwed up lol)

The only guide I followed was the Using DDSopt guide on the wiki, with a reference to DLC (Reference from the DDSopt guide) - As far as I know I followed to steps completly and thoroughly, maybe I'm too noobish with this stuff and followed TOO literally or something lol

I ran the game, and went to the different citys in a completely new savefile using the coc command, and the vram came out to be just about the same as what was posted on the Wiki, so one would assume that I did everything correctly in the end.

Maybe I/we can figure out what/where I went off-track to make the guide more 'noob friendly' =3

I think that Fri only meant that you may have deviated slightly since you piled everything together and zipped, but that it is all the same in the end and no matter, as long as you don't mind the permanent overwrites. Keeping separate allows for more fine-tuned installations (only really useful in this case to benchmarking and testing).

You did it right ;)

Oh o.o

Alright, might want to add to separate those folders in the guide so you can make them into separate archives for those who want to do testing. Although I bet those who are going to test already know this stuff.

Still, I bet it can't hurt. Thanks and finally I think this thread can go to rest lol.