Missing (black/purple) Texture? Report it here!

Farlo

Question

In MO, plugins are not required to load BSA assets. MO loads such assets according to mod priority in the left pane when MO is allowed to manage archives, so extraction is only important (even for SRLE) where specific assets from one BSA archive must be interleaved with the assets of another or varying degrees of prioritization must be applied to different assets within a single BSA archive.

Not a big deal really, but just wanted to point that out.

In more simple terms, extraction is mainly only required when files need to be hidden, altered, or separated from the main mod for various reasons.

I'll add to that by saying BSA extraction is currently not required when only using STEP. Other Guides/Packs may have different requirements; however, BSAs in STEP can and should remain in their archived states.

In MO, plugins are not required to load BSA assets. MO loads such assets according to mod priority in the left pane when MO is allowed to manage archives, so extraction is only important (even for SRLE) where specific assets from one BSA archive must be interleaved with the assets of another or varying degrees of prioritization must be applied to different assets within a single BSA archive.

Not a big deal really, but just wanted to point that out.

I was going to argue with you about how it does need the dummy in the list because I had assumed that without the dummy MO was unaware but it seem that is untrue.

So, I tested myself and sure enough it does load but that doesn't explain why WDW's Load Order (SR:LE) wasn't loading the assets for Immersive Armors.

I don't know if the following is true but...

Doesn't MO load the bsa by renaming the to a three letter code (aaa) and stick this chain of codes inside the ini as 

sResourceArchiveList

OR

sResourceArchiveList2 

which has a limit of 255 characters.

If that is true then maybe the character limit was reached and skyrim just ignored everything that followed.

or because the dummy .esp was missing the .bsa was left unchecked.

I am just trying to find out why it wasn't working. 

Z I'll add you to the pm conversation so you can take a look at the pics he sent me.

Edited by hishutup

DoubleYou is the best person to help elucidate what is happening here.

I'm assuming you are referring to the 255-character string limit thing. Nitpick fixes that issue, and so does Mod Organizer, which is why we removed Nitpick (see some relevant discussion on this thread). I have never witnessed an issue where MO failed to load a BSA using its methods. If such an issue exists, I would question the BSA's integrity before I would question there being a problem with MO's BSA-loading mechanism.

Even after briefly looking at those pages, it still doesn't answer why the assets to Immersive armors wouldn't load.

I originally thought that it could be that it wasn't checked but one of the images in the pm chowed differently.

Is there something that I am missing or could it have been something really simple and we may never know what it was exactly?

On a side note, shade me is pretty good at modding...

I've seen that happen with IA before. I suspect it's possibly a similar issue to the occasional missing NPC like the guy talking to Adriane Avenicci on the first entry to Whiterun etc.

I think that cause when I did the small tweak to fix things like the missing NPC's the IA issue disappeared as well. May have been complete co-incidence, too.

• If the BSA is checked, and
  • MO is checked to manage archives, and
  • the BSA is installed with a mod that is activated in the left pane

... then MO will load its assets. If it does not, then the BSA is messed up somehow ... re-download the mod maybe.

Also, be sure to launch the game to the main screen (or the Skyrim Launcher) to initialize all mods into the MO virtual directory. Then check the mod by right clicking in the left pane > Information > Conflicts. If you see conflicts, then it is loading, and if you do not see the assets you expect in the game, then the conflicts should show that another mod is supplying the assets.

I downloaded Immersive Armors just to take a peak. One ESP is needed and one is, in fact, a dummy (verified with TES5eidt). If the user deleted both ESPs, this would result in the issues here. If the file he used for the conflict resolution was out of date or wrong, it would also have caused these uses. Since the support took place in PMs there is no way to know for sure if either of those were the case or not (do your support in the threads!). I see absolutely no reason why IA wouldn't work being kept in its BSA. Obviously it is working or the author would provide it as loose files. I honestly think this is simply a combination of bad, or at the very least strange, advice and/or user error.

I also noticed Neo is saying to delete the dummy ESPs when they should really be moved to Optional ESPs rather than being deleted. His "best modding practices" don't seem to be on level with what is generally now recommended. We all did a ton of research and discussion to discover some of these practices. Then again, though they should follow the common best practices, authors of other guides sort of have the privilege to tell users to do what they want. It is them that should have to deal with the support when issues pop up.

Z

Thats more/less what I had thought but extracting seems to have worked just fine.

He extracted the bsa that was present in the mod folder. I didn't tell him to reinstall nor redownload, only to extract the bsa via mo archives tab

Tech

I realize that the conversation should not have continued in pm but I kinda just went with it because it was late(or early depending on how you look at it)

I was thinking the same when it comes to the dummy files meaning just move them to optionals.

WDW just extracted the bsa that were present in the load order. So, he didn't delete the incorrect one and the bsa wasn't corrupt.

It seems that Immersive Armors it couse of purples for me. General thallius, his lady friend + Ulchric and his bear bf are missing textures. When I disable Immersive Armors they work just fine. Any idea where could be a problem?

The problem came directly from IA and after extracting it seemed like everything was fine.

I am also leaning toward that it was some minor detail on the users side but after extracting it seems fine.

Should I dump the pm posts on here or what?

No, don't dumpt the PMs, just discuss the resolution here.

One 'resolution' is to extract, but that does nothing to teach the user how to use MO properly. I am certain that if you and WDW followed that advice I posted just above and/or really read through applicable sections of the guide, you would see that it is very simple to do the needful without extracting any BSA or deleting any plugin.

Neo prefers deleting I think because he is into conserving disk space. This is understandable, I guess, but disk space saved from removing dummy plugins is trivial.

I fully understand what step recommends in this case but WDW claimed he was following SR:LE and since I am familiar with SR:LE, I chose to follow what neo recommends rather than what step recommends.

Was I wrong to follow SR:LE vs STEP?

I also understand how MO handles BSA and that is why I was stumped on finding a solution.

In all honesty, WDW may have forgotten to tick the archive but the pics he shared showed otherwise.

I was just going down my list of how to troubleshoot -I need to write one- and unpacking the BSA was the next step.

As for the disk space it's something like 76KB which is negligible.

As for delete vs optional:

I don't like cluttering up folders with files that will never be used. In this case, a dummy esp. In the end, either way works the same. Disk space is simply a bonus.

I do recommend optional folder use when doing merges as those could be used again later.

As for delete vs optional:I don't like cluttering up folders with files that will never be used. In this case, a dummy esp. In the end, either way works the same. Disk space is simply a bonus.I do recommend optional folder use when doing merges as those could be used again later.

Ah! There you are! Was waiting for you to pop in on this. :thumbsup:

Any specific reason for the BSA extractions?

It makes life easier when your doing compares of files between mods(contents not file names), working with the CK, using DDSOpt, trying to debug any issues, create merged assets, use of other tools, etc.

I find the benefits to extraction outweighs the negligible perf hit and moderate disk space. This is especially true when hardcore modding... For a simpler setup you probably wouldn't need to.