Missing (black/purple) Texture? Report it here!

Farlo

Question

BSA extraction is OK for Neo and others with powerful machines, SSDs, and lots of modding XP.

For those installing SRLE, this should be OK in order to match the guide to simplify troubleshooting & support; however, it should be made clear that extracting BSAs is not standard procedure in general and applies only to the specific guide the user is following (this prevents issues stemming from STEP users that extract BSAs and derail from procedures in that guide, creating more messiness when they have issues or need help ... custom == bad for support)

I'm having an issue that looks like it might be a missing texture (imgur album linked below). I run standard STEP, followed the DDSopt guide to the letter, used the batch files, etc. I noticed a big chunk of nothing on the side of a mountain outside of Whiterun. There also appear to be some black textures off in the trees over behind the windmill. After some noodling around in MO I think I found the file causing it: one of the dds files in the HRDLC2 optimized mod. Specifically textures/terrain/tamriel/objects/tamriel.objects.dds, an ~11 MB file that, when hidden in MO, causes the problem to go away. Black means missing textures, right? Does this happen to anyone else, and does it even need to be fixed or can I just keep the file hidden?

Images of the landscape with the file hidden/unhidden: https://imgur.com/a/Enw1x

Also unrelated to this issue but still related to DDSopt, since MO says the DG/HF/DB optimized textures are completely overwritten, does that mean there's no point in optimizing them to begin with?

The textures/terrain/tamriel/objects/tamriel.objects.dds file in HRDLC2 is uncompressed and should have been sorted by the batch file to a different folder so it wouldn't be converted to a DXT5 texture. The batch file will be changed to do this. You can replace the current optimized version of this file with the original file, or you could instead optimize the original file to an uncompressed R5G6B5 format (which reduces the file size by 50%) and then use this file instead of the incorrectly optimized one.

The DG/HF/DB optimized textures should not show up in MO as all being overwritten. Where do the optimized textures sit in the installation order? When you double click one of the optimized DLC textures and look at the Conflicts tab, it should show that files from this mod overwrite files from the Unmanaged HighResTexturePack files and the Unmanaged DLC. If this isn't true then the optimized textures aren't in the correct place in the installation order (priority).

The optimized DLC goes after the vanilla HR packs then? I've had them set between their ESMs and the unofficial patches. That's how it seemed it should be done in the guide; the detailed directions for the three DLCs said that, anyway, and the HR packs it says to list after UDBP, so I've had this which I assume is wrong.

And try as I might, I can't seem to optimize tamriel.objects.dds with any combination of constraints settings (avoiding DXTx entirely) without suffering the same result ingame.

Edited by TheLolrus

The install order you show is correct. When you look at the Conflicts tab for each optimized DLC textures file you should see some textures that are provided by this mod as well as a notation that some textures are provided by other mods.

I'll look at the tamriel objects texture and see what happens when I optimize it as an uncompressed texture with R5G6B5 format.

I can't actually check the file conflicts right now (posting from my laptop) but doesn't the grey lightning bolt in MO mean that mod is completely overwritten by other mods? In which case, none of those files are even seen by Skyrim, right?

Having gotten back to my desktop, all three DLC texture sets provide no conflicts and every file is overwritten by something else, almost entirely by the HRDLC2 optimized set.

Edited by TheLolrus

Look at all the lovely purple F#*@king trees again! There so pretty if your a freeking fruit-loop . And heck with the inaccurate step guide that goes with it. Hours of modding and verifying small questions or issues from the 2361 differently described videos and other related info. To the authors I think it's cool you do this for the game but inaccuracies between 1 page of info to the next makes its worse than if there was just one. How about one that lists step core, and another separate that lists the extended with the DynDOLOD smash n bash features. Hey maybe a nice icture for us old guys that need foto's of the actual ste guide list at the end of each section instead of Oh this kinda stuff goes here kind of!7 diff ways and up all darn night to get rid of purple trees that showed this number "(0002d771) and then some garbled horse doodoo about how to find what texture that is... that's why I say screw the guide. Oh and gee do we follow the guide and use TES5Edit or TES5LODGen for the final text/meshes????????!!!

Settle down, Kross. I helped you in the thread you made earlier, and so did others. If you think following this guide is tough, try any other one. This one is laid out better and more thoroughly than any other that I have found on the web. The devs that create and maintain the guide don't get paid for this, you know...

You are right about no photos of MO. I have made a set to hopefully help others. See this post: https://forum.step-project.com/topic/9568-step-extended-mo-screenshot-examples/

The guide is easy to follow...just make sure to follow the text. The videos are there to generally show you, but for obvious reasons can't get updated every time there is an edit to STEP. That is why you need to follow the text instructions.

STEP Core is indicated by the green vertical bar beside the name of the mod on the left. To install STEP Core, only download those mods. To install STEP Extended, download every mod on the list (besides one or two which the instructions tell you are already in the STEP Extended Patch).

Anyway, if you need any more help, feel free to ask politely on the forums, or even PM me and I will even help walk you through the whole process. But don't post a rant on the forums about supposed "inaccuracies" and saying "screw the guide" after everyone has tried to help you as best as they could.

Lastly, I think you only posted here because you are experiencing missing textures, but you should not worry about DDSopt at all - custom optimizing textures is fairly complicated. Just download the STEP Optimized Vanilla Textures as per the option the instructions give you.

Edited by Nebulous112
  • +1 2