Realistic Teeth ( by Anton0028 and Brumbek)

DCS78

Has the Realistic Teeth mod been considered? It seems worthwhile to me. Pictures and video on page.

Mod Testing

• In-game creen compares with Smile in HD (please use a 100% compare shot)
  • Performance info related to Smile in HD - expect no significant cost for either, but let's be sure (spawn a couple dozen NPCs, save and compare with both mods)

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just looked into it. It's co authored by Brumbek of SMIM fame, so that's a good start. Does need a BAIN wizard for the convience of the Wrye Bash users. Additionally, it overwrites a *lot* of facegeom meshes, so that will have to be takein in consideration with the mod.

That could be a problem. Also, it is a rather large file. The improvement may not be worth the overhead. I've recently reloaded Skyrim with the mod and my fps is way down. I'll pull it and see if that is the problem.

EDIT: That did not seem to be the problem. Testing on hold while I wait for stable 1.9 update.

• 2 weeks later...

Going to bump this thread. The mod has been updated to 1.11 - and with it, a Consistant Older People patch (on the page for Consistant Older People, but it's there). According to the changelog, the mod now includes a more yellow version of the teeth, which Brumbek recommends for lore purists, and the one that I recommend for STEP. And, female vampire fangs are included. So, with this mod, the Female Vampire Fangs mod is redundant if used together with Realistic Teeth.

That being said, I have made a quick and simple Wrye Bash wizard for the mod, that I'm going to bring up with the author.

Why are yellow teeth lore friendly?

I wasn't aware Beth had a policy on dental hygiene in Tamriel. The generally do not show a population suffering under disfiguring diseases. In fact they are so rare that they are only explained as isolated populations afflicted by Daedric Lords, not the typical human condition.

It's probably not all that realistic either if we are using the Dark and Middle Ages as our model. Dental hygiene in the Middle Ages was better than in following centuries - there was almost no sugar, coffee, tea or cola and less highly refined carbohydrates. Less stuff to rot and stain teeth.

We generally don't have a lot of caracters with pox marks, warts and boils on their face - which were common disfugurements during these times. So why introduce yellow teeth?

I would like a lot more disfigurement in Skyrim as well, but since there is no mod doing this...

One thing I can tell you, is that the teeth are not yellow, they are less shiny white. Even nowadays with really good dental hygiene only a tiny percentage of the people over 20 has shiny white teeth as their natural color.

In the middle ages the teeth might not have been exposed as much to sugar and stuff like that, but sweet food was available then as well. Also the grinding process to make flower for bread led to a not that small quantity of stone particles in the loafs. People in their late 20s had sandpapered teeth - not perfectly formed neon white teeth.

Also, in the middle-ages tooth extractions were not uncommon (they were one of the few not injury related surgeries that were sensible)... and tooth loss as well.

I think it should be left to the modder which color to prefer. If you are opting for a modern fantasy style world where everything is pretty and beautiful except the villains...

As I am sb who actually works with teeth (dentistry student) I can tell you that a touch yellow makes teeth look a lot more natural, especially for people over the age of 30.

IMHO - this is not worth installing. Personally, I don't really pay attention to characters' teeth. Do you? Be honest, how many times did you ever look at their TEETH? I don't see any reason to install this mod, it's a waste of performance to me. Over the top.

On second thought, Realistic Teeth might not be such a hot idea after all. The fact that you don't pay much attention to character's teeth (if at all), not seeming to find the right balance for teeth color, overwriting a lot of facegeom meshes (potentially creating compatibility issues), and what might be most important for some people - it's very very big. Averaging around 1.85 GB when unpacked. Space that would be better spent with a big texture pack or something. In retrospect, this would not be a good mod for STEP.

The only reasons why I would have focused on this in the first place are because of the co-author (Brumbek), and that it marketed itself as a immersion mod. But, at least I can say I did another Bash wizard...

On second thought, Realistic Teeth might not be such a hot idea after all. The fact that you don't pay much attention to character's teeth (if at all), not seeming to find the right balance for teeth color, overwriting a lot of facegeom meshes (potentially creating compatibility issues), and what might be most important for some people - it's very very big. Averaging around 1.85 GB when unpacked. Space that would be better spent with a big texture pack or something. In retrospect, this would not be a good mod for STEP.

The only reasons why I would have focused on this in the first place are because of the co-author (Brumbek), and that it marketed itself as a immersion mod. But, at least I can say I did another Bash wizard...

Size of a mod should not be a factor imo (disc space is cheap), could be a comment about it when installing.

This is one of those "over the top" mods that is unnecessary in my opinion. As others have mentioned, how often do you look at people's teeth? I can honestly say that I have never noticed any teeth in the game before...NEVER. I think this mod is better suited for those that like to glamor-up their characters with body mods to take pretty screen shots. Not important or necessary for STEP.

Exactly. Nobody's saying that this mod is bad or anything, just over the top.

Size of a mod should not be a factor imo (disc space is cheap), could be a comment about it when installing.

It's not about the disc space really, it's about VRAM usage I think.

Well as a gonna-be dentist I look constantly at everybody's teeth - in real life and games. It buggered me how ugly they looked in Skyrim, but when I don't get too close to other characters when talking to them I can live with it.

I think for the biggest part of the community (screenarchers excepted) this mod is not going to make much of a difference to how they perceive the quality of their game.