Mod Organizer or Wrye Bash?

peppergomez

Trying to decide which to install and use, and curious if there's more or less a consensus about which is best (i.e., effective, updated/current, stable, user friendly, and robust).

Since STEP no longer recommends updating mods on a singluar/piecemeal basis, I guess the fact that Wrye Bash doesn't update mods is a plus. (Though I don't think Mod Organizer auto updates them.)

I seem to remember Wrye Bash (back in the Oblivion days) as being quite complicated and not very intuitive to use.  What do folks think?

I also noted on Nexus that Wrye Bash doesn't seem to be being worked on as much these days, since the creator is not currently active. Any risk that Wrye Bash will become outdated?

Thanks.

MO is definitely the more user-friendly of the two and a lot of the basic actions are simpler. The only major thing WB can do that MO can't is make bashed patches (Google it, I'm not familiar with them), and these aren't needed for STEP (yet). One of the only other minor differences is their file conflict view. Personally I prefer WB's presentation, but both views have their uses for hunting down problems or seeing which mod does what; it ultimately comes down to preference.

Neither MO nor WB will update anything without a user's action (WB can't talk to the Nexus at all, MO will notify you of new files). WB is a bit slow to update and missing some helpful functions, but the functionality that is there is rock solid; as long as mods go in the Data folder it won't be outdated.

I prefer to use MO for mod management and I use WB for creating bashed patch only. Advantage of using MO lies in profiles to me - it creates virtual data directory, so if you're testing a lot or play multiple characters that require different mod setup, MO wins here.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

WB also has profiles, but it is a more manual process to configure I think. WB has more functionality overall, and it is still under active dev, but it is more complicated, and there are more minor bugs and functionality 'placeholders' that don't work yet.

OK, thanks. I didn't see mention of whether we should install the NCC optional files (both v0 2_2 1334 and v0 2_1 source 1334) into our Mod Organizer directory. It's listed as optional in the MO guide:

"optional) Download the NCC optional file and extract it to the ModOrganizer directory. This will provide more convenient installation of archives intended for the Nexus Mod Manager. This does require you to have the .Net-Framework installed. "

I will not install them until some folks here confirm it's okay/advisable to do so.

Thanks.

PS- I am a bit confused by step 7 in the Mod Organizer guide:

7. Adding Executables.

- I assume that Executables is the box with the drop down arrow that by default lists Skyrim. Correct?

- I am not sure how to add BOSS to MO. I have BOSS isntalled. I clicked , which is the selection above Skyrim in that drop-down field. In the Binary field, I typed Boss.exe and clicked OK, which apparently did nothing since I reopened and the binary field is blank. Can someone advise how to add BOSS to MO? Thanks.

PS- I am a bit confused by step 7 in the Mod Organizer guide:

7. Adding Executables.

- I assume that Executables is the box with the drop down arrow that by default lists Skyrim. Correct?

- I am not sure how to add BOSS to MO. I have BOSS isntalled. I clicked , which is the selection above Skyrim in that drop-down field. In the Binary field, I typed Boss.exe and clicked OK, which apparently did nothing since I reopened and the binary field is blank. Can someone advise how to add BOSS to MO? Thanks.

Last time I used MO I thought it automatically detected BOSS, although I installed BOSS to the root Skyrim directory.  I believe the "Binary field" needs to be the full filepath, not just the name of the file.  Also make sure the other fields are filled out and that you click "Save" or something along those lines, I vaguely remember it not remembering anything unless you press a certain button.

If in doubt, edit one of the other executables to see what it wants.

Bumping this. :-)

Also, should I install the NCC optional file(s)?

Thanks.

If you plan on using FOMOD installers you should.

• 8 months later...

STEP has slowly been moving toward MO being the main mod manager. I, personally, have geared mod testing for STEP completely towards MO because it's just the better tool for doing it. Tannin, the developer of MO, has even moved his support for MO here to the STEP forums. WB has pretty much stopped in terms of development while MO has been been in constant development. After using both, I much prefer MO to WB because of its' ease of use and its' support of multiple profiles. MO is getting more and more features all the time too. I akin WB to old-school modding and those that are still using it are the users that having used it for a very long time. A "it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks" sort of thing.

Of course, this is all just my opinion. Others have their own opinions.

• 1 month later...

Well it seems Wrye Bash might be a little dated now. I think will this fresh install I'll give MO a go.

Thanks for your input.

Don't forget, you can run Wyre Bash from within Mod Organizer and get the best of both worlds.

But what about WB wizards? Is there any way to use them, while using Mod Organizer?