High-Quality LODs- install meshes, normals, and textures?

peppergomez

Question

I am now at the point in my STEP install where I install the High Quality LODs

https://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/4834

The instructions on the Nexus page state:

"A complete set of LOD-files consists of

- 1x mesh package

- 1x normal-map package

- 1x color-map package

In the download-area are multiple version of the packages. All downloads named "Original" are files related to a vanilla Skyrim install, without any replacers and landscape-mods. These are the base-line packages. All the other downloads indicate from which mod they stem from (Skyrim HD etc.) and if you have a landscape replacer or mod installed take a look if you find the corresponding package."

STEP's baseline is just the Hi-res meshes.

Can/should I install the Textures Original and Normals Original files that are listed in the Main Files section?

12 answers to this question

That's a good question. And a better question is when did we start supporting a mod that is defunct and can only be obtained against an author's wishes, regardless of people's opinions of said author?

If you aren't going with SRO then just use what is recommends 'Hi-res meshes'.

2.G. Landscape & Environment

High Quality LODs Notes: "Also use "HQLODs - Textures Skyrim Realistic" if installing Skyrimg Realistic Overhaul.

You are correct that SRO isn't part of STEP anymore so this is probably an artifact that hasn't been removed. But since HQLODs now has textures specific for Skyrim HD and Serious HD (which are part of STEP) I wasn't sure if installing those texture "patches" was needed.

2.G. Landscape & Environment

High Quality LODs Notes: "Also use "HQLODs - Textures Skyrim Realistic" if installing Skyrimg Realistic Overhaul.

You are correct that SRO isn't part of STEP anymore so this is probably an artifact that hasn't been removed. But since HQLODs now has textures specific for Skyrim HD and Serious HD (which are part of STEP) I wasn't sure if installing those texture "patches" was needed.

That must be new. I've never seen that note before.