Torture Rack HD

DCS78

It would be helpful if you also showed a screenshot with the vanilla rack so we can compare.

Thanks

I'll look into making screenshots as soon as I can get back to the game. Unless someone beats me to it, that is.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is my first post, so my opinion doesn't count for very much. I just joined today because I found STEP a few days ago and have been preparing to install and setup Skyrim for 2.2.5. I'm a freelance graphic designer.

Anyway, I felt the need to comment on these "Mystery Modder" mods. I saw a comment in another thread here in MS that suggested the Mystery Modder is just upscaling and sharpening the default textures, therefore not really adding any detail. I have to agree 100%. I've downloaded and tested several of the Mystery Modder's offerings, and I have to say, they do look very much like simple resized and sharpened (and in some cases, with other filters applied) versions of the original. yet, he/she marks a lot of them as "HD" in the title.

To me that's dishonest, and the upscaled textures aren't that much greater than the originals. A true HD texture is usually DOWNsized from a much larger original. The sharpening effect *can* improve resized smaller textures a bit, but to the trained eye, they sort of stand out like a sore thumb. I know that the average layperson might not even notice, but as a graphic designer, I deal in pixels all the time, and I know what a resized and overly sharpened image looks like.

I feel so strongly about this that I actually commented on one of Mystery Modder's mods on the nexus, although I can't remember which one. I'm "Ultimist" on all the nexus sites as well.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. I'll give the same advice I saw in another thread. It might be wise to steer clear of this Mystery Modder for now, as their work isn't that great, and nowhere near some of the stellar texture replacements we've all seen.

• +1 1

I wonder if all of Mystery Modder's work is being tarred with too thick a brush here.

I'm not graphic artists but it seems to me that the Mushrooms (https://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/29935/) and Shrines (https://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/30932/) (to pick two mods of his that I use) involve more than than just "upscaling and sharpening" textures or the like - they both involve changes to coloration, etc. I have no idea whether the "upscaling and sharpening" was all that was used on the HD Torture Rack (I don't use this mod or have the technical background to understand the issues fully), but I don't think it's true that this is all he uses on all of his mods -at least if I understand it correctly. If this is what he uses on Mushrooms and Shrines then he seems to get pretty good results from these techniques in these cases at least.

P.S. I'm not sure where Skunky123 ends and Mystery Modder starts - in the above post I have treated them as a whole - though both Mushrooms and Shrines are attributed to Mystery Modder.

Skunky123 is apparently Mystery Modder's brother. Would make sense, since Skunky123 refers to Mystery Modder as though he were a different person. My guess is that Skunky's doing the mod management, so that Mystery only has to focus on texture making. He seems to be inconsistent with his quality - you have stunning rextures like the mushrooms and the shirines, and then you have "quick, upscale and sharpen!" stuff like the torture and tanning racks.