v2.2.6 Development

z929669

As you might or might not know, I had to quit modding and playing (yes, in this order) Skyrim due to my personal circumstances that took the toll on my free time. Soon after, I lost my 1TB hard drive with all my games (including back ups of all my save games), Skyrim install and mods, plus some smaller projects I've been working on. No other important data was lost.

Anyway, rant over. Is there anything I could do to help with the development of STEP 2.2.6 revision? I've got some spare time to help with STEP, assuming admins will let me stay.

On a related note, I haven't been able to follow the forums closely. I noticed Realistic Crime Radius is being removed in this revision. Any further note as to why? It would be nice if you put those in brackets, sometimes it gets confusing and the Search isn't being exactly helpful.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As you might or might not know, I had to quit modding and playing (yes, in this order) Skyrim due to my personal circumstances that took the toll on my free time. Soon after, I lost my 1TB hard drive with all my games (including back ups of all my save games), Skyrim install and mods, plus some smaller projects I've been working on. No other important data was lost.

Anyway, rant over. Is there anything I could do to help with the development of STEP 2.2.6 revision? I've got some spare time to help with STEP, assuming admins will let me stay.

On a related note, I haven't been able to follow the forums closely. I noticed Realistic Crime Radius is being removed in this revision. Any further note as to why? It would be nice if you put those in brackets, sometimes it gets confusing and the Search isn't being exactly helpful.

Crime radius is being replaced by an option in the bashed patch that does the same without taking up an esp-slot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Might be an idea to include that people should create an skse.ini and add [General] ClearInvalidRegistrations=1 ? It solves a lot of issues with savegame bloat etc and I see no reason not include it

Is this based on fact of speculation? Not challenging, just wondering.

I agree that it makes sense, and I personally use it but cannot confirm the effect. Mostly just OCD :P

joshkope is a good example, after sorting his 3.1gb CTDs he still had tons of stuttering and freezes. His save, that had only ever used step mods, was at 38mb. After adding clearinvalidregistrations it went down to 17,5mb and no more freezes/stuttering

https://www.darkcreations.org/forums/topic/3752-skse-cleans-invalid-scripts-from-old-mods/

I updated the OP with the reason for the removals (of those that I could remember any). Where we need the most help is in mod testing. Everything else is pretty much covered. Help in the troubleshooting thread is always appreciated, too.

Techangel, I believe that the reason that the Dark Brotherhood Forever mod was removed was because it removed some of the settings for the quest, and because Better Quest Objectives offers a better version of it now.

Techangel' date=' I believe that the reason that the Dark Brotherhood Forever mod was removed was because it removed some of the settings for the quest, and because Better Quest Objectives offers a better version of it now.[/quote']

That's right! Thanks! I'll update it.

can anyone verify why the z-fighting and refcount tweaks are proposed for removal? Not in the OP ...

I've heard a lot of reports saying that those cause crashes and inifinte loading screens, so I decided to take action and remove them. Or, at least the Z-Fighitng tweaks.

can anyone verify why the z-fighting and refcount tweaks are proposed for removal? Not in the OP ...

They seem to be one of the main culprits for infinite loading times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I've never seen a real need for those tweaks. Don't get me wrong, Z-fighting was and still is a slight issue, but in the ideal world, you'd want to counter that with no clipping or performance and stability issues. Unfortunately, the ini tweaks can not guarantee either.

So I've got a fresh install with some basic STEP mods set up. Should I proceed with fully installing STEP 2.2.5 or is it best if I take the changes from the OP here into account?

I've never seen a real need for those tweaks. Don't get me wrong, Z-fighting was and still is a slight issue, but in the ideal world, you'd want to counter that with no clipping or performance and stability issues. Unfortunately, the ini tweaks can not guarantee either.

So I've got a fresh install with some basic STEP mods set up. Should I proceed with fully installing STEP 2.2.5 or is it best if I take the changes from the OP here into account?

2.2.6 guide should be released later today, so you should wait. There is a special announcement coming with the new release.

The Z-fighting tweaks, those I've found are more for people that increase the FOV from the default. Since we don't recommend doing this in the Guide then it could be okay to remove them from the guide. As for the refcount, we're not removing it. Testing has shown that cutting the current value in half fixes the issue with the loading screens while maintaining the fix from the refcount tweak.

@Admin,

If something is done on the guide for the next release it needs to be stated in the OP for our records.