STEP v2.2.5 Official Bug Reports

z929669

2.J. Animations & Effects -> Burn Freeze & Shock Effects -> Dawnguard users: Also install the optional Dawnguard file.

In the latest version there are 2 optionals: for either Dawnguard OR Dawnguard + Dragonborn users. The notes should be amended in the guide to reflect this.

Anyone can update the notes ... I'd like the general community to get the hang of the interface.

Just go to the mod page, click "Edit With Form" and update the notes on the 4th tab ;)

I'd like to put it out there that I can't. The checkbox is not check-able for me and I can not type in the textboxes.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2.J. Animations & Effects -> Burn Freeze & Shock Effects -> Dawnguard users: Also install the optional Dawnguard file.

In the latest version there are 2 optionals: for either Dawnguard OR Dawnguard + Dragonborn users. The notes should be amended in the guide to reflect this.

Anyone can update the notes ... I'd like the general community to get the hang of the interface.

Just go to the mod page, click "Edit With Form" and update the notes on the 4th tab ;)

I'd like to put it out there that I can't. The checkbox is not check-able for me and I can not type in the textboxes.
OK, restrictions were set on those attributes. I removed them, so let's see about it now ;)

I figured those restrictions were put there for a reason (similar reason for the STEP namespace being locked down) so I had never really thought about not being able to use that tab.

Yes, they were put there so that we could maintain sanity with regard to the notes, since they appear in the guide; however, we stand to gain a lot with community help in this regard, and many eyes will keep this in line I think.

Well Stopping would rather we keep the Notes section locked up so that we can better manage published content; however, the new practice will be for community members to add Notes updates to the mod thread, and moderators or admin will add these notes to the thread OP and from there to the mod page.

Well Stopping would rather we keep the Notes section locked up so that we can better manage published content; however' date=' the new practice will be for community members to [u']add Notes updates to the mod thread[/u], and moderators or admin will add these notes to the thread OP and from there to the mod page.

This sounds better. I was weary about having the notes unlocked for all.

In the troubleshooting thread today one of the posts mentioned that the STEP guide has ini tweaks for iShadowMapResolutionPrimary and iShadowMapResolutionSecondary in SkyrimPrefs.ini while Bethesda has these parameters in Skyrim.ini . I checked the default files in vanilla Skyrim and this seems to be true; SkyrimPrefs does have a parameter iShadowMapResolution but not the other two. Are these parameters ones which can be in either or does the STEP guide have them in the wrong file?

In the troubleshooting thread today one of the posts mentioned that the STEP guide has ini tweaks for iShadowMapResolutionPrimary and iShadowMapResolutionSecondary in SkyrimPrefs.ini while Bethesda has these parameters in Skyrim.ini . I checked the default files in vanilla Skyrim and this seems to be true; SkyrimPrefs does have a parameter iShadowMapResolution but not the other two. Are these parameters ones which can be in either or does the STEP guide have them in the wrong file?

We need to parallel the vanilla config ... to confirm, are you saying that moving this edit recommendation to the Skyrim.ini from SkyrimPrefs.ini will correct it?

They also seem to be in {steam}\skyrim\skyrim\skyrimprefs.ini which I believe skyrim uses as a base to generate the ones in the documents folder.

At least the settings are in mine from a backup of a clean install. And I only have iShadowMapResolutionPrimary in my skyrim_default.ini

We need to parallel the vanilla config ... to confirm, are you saying that moving this edit recommendation to the Skyrim.ini from SkyrimPrefs.ini will correct it?

Yes, that seems correct as far as I can tell. They should be moved to Skyrim.ini . I did a Google search and almost all the references have these two parameters in Skyrim.ini, and they are are in Skyrim_default.ini .

They also seem to be in {steam}\skyrim\skyrim\skyrimprefs.ini which I believe skyrim uses as a base to generate the ones in the documents folder.

At least the settings are in mine from a backup of a clean install. And I only have iShadowMapResolutionPrimary in my skyrim_default.ini

See this thread. It seems that the records are present in both files... I will check mine when I'm back from work tonight.

Could it be safer to add them to both skyrim.ini and skyrimprefs.ini?

::EDIT::

In my case iShadowMapResolutionPrimary record is in both SkyrimPrefs.ini and Skyrim.ini files, however iShadowMapResolutionSecondary is only in SkyrimPrefs.ini file.

I used this tweak in the SkyrimPrefs.INI file on lower-than-STEP settings to squeeze out more performance. Now I'm wondering if it even mattered. I'm with Z on this one, it needs to be tested in both INIs with high and low settings to measure the performance hit and to find out which file it should be in (or if it even matters which one).

I gave this a quick test:

SkyrimPrefs.ini, Primary=2048 \ Secondary=1024 vs. Primary=512 \ Secondary=256

(Primary and Secondary settings removed from Skyrim.ini)

-- the difference was easy to spot.

Skyrim.ini, Primary=4096 \ Secondary=2048 vs. Primary=512 \ Secondary=256

(Primary and Secondary settings removed from SkyrimPrefs.ini)

-- no difference was noticeable and given the large increase in resolution it should have been easy.

Skyrim.ini Results, 512 on the left, 4096 on the right:

Posted ImagePosted Image

I gave this a quick test:

SkyrimPrefs.ini, Primary=2048 \ Secondary=1024 vs. Primary=512 \ Secondary=256

(Primary and Secondary settings removed from Skyrim.ini)

-- the difference was easy to spot.

Skyrim.ini, Primary=4096 \ Secondary=2048 vs. Primary=512 \ Secondary=256

(Primary and Secondary settings removed from SkyrimPrefs.ini)

-- no difference was noticeable and given the large increase in resolution it should have been easy.

Skyrim.ini Results, 512 on the left, 4096 on the right:

Posted ImagePosted Image

This is a good compare though I would liked to have seen the SkyrimPrefs.INI screenshots too. One more person care to confirm using the same method?