Skyrim Unplugged (by stoppingby4now)

stoppingby4now

Question

• Answers 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Congrats on the release :)

Your first description line is a little clunky.

Put the power back into your hands when it comes to Automatic Updates for Skyrim. This program will enforce the Automatic Updates setting in Steam when you don't want updates, and allow you to restore it when you do.

I would change it to something more along the lines of:

Put the power back into your hands when it comes to Automatic Updates for Skyrim. This program will allow you to use all the online features of steam and will enforce your preferred update settings rather than allowing steam to reset them to defaults arbitrarily.

Guest admin

Congrats on the release :)

Your first description line is a little clunky.

Put the power back into your hands when it comes to Automatic Updates for Skyrim. This program will enforce the Automatic Updates setting in Steam when you don't want updates, and allow you to restore it when you do.

I would change it to something more along the lines of:

Put the power back into your hands when it comes to Automatic Updates for Skyrim. This program will allow you to use all the online features of steam and will enforce your preferred update settings rather than allowing steam to reset them to defaults arbitrarily.

Or

"This program prevents Steam from changing the Skyrim Automatic Updates setting, while permanently honoring the user's setting."

It might be good for STEP to offer advice on updating; to recommend Skyrim Unplugged, and to have a status page that suggests when it's time to update to the latest patch, along with links to the updated managers, p-processors, script engines etc. to go with it.

I thought that was a slight flaw in the guide actually - recommending that all mods be kept constantly updated. I could point to a couple of mods that have changed radically or introduced regressions between updates. I like the fact that the nexus keeps legacy versions, and I think that STEP should specify known-good versions that should remain static until the next (minor?) update of STEP.

Interesting issue raised in the comments/forum for Unplugged about an expansion (or seperate app) to stop Steam Workshop automatically updating mods.

As I stated there I don't use SW so have no way to see if the auto update of mods is also controlled from the registry. Anyone else able to check that?

Interesting issue raised in the comments/forum for Unplugged about an expansion (or seperate app) to stop Steam Workshop automatically updating mods.

As I stated there I don't use SW so have no way to see if the auto update of mods is also controlled from the registry. Anyone else able to check that?

I just added a couple responses. Ended up having an idea that could possibly allow for blocking SW updates, but testing would need to be done.

You would probably need to muck with file permissions as well, setting deny write capability to the system user could do the trick.

But it doesn't fix a serious issue, it just makes it easier to manage say 100 SW subscriptions with a single click.

A more preferable route to take would be to actually automate steam to favorite all subscriptions and then unsubscribe from them, easy enough if there are local config files but I fear that stuff is in the cloud.

I haven't found anything yet that stores information locally for mods on SW, but I'll do some more digging. I tend to agree that it would probably be in the cloud as well, and would most likely need some sort of API or steam commands to automate it. Or maybe some use of Auto Key as a last resort.

They must be finding a lot of bugs. I think wrinkly has had 3 or 4 hopeful time tables for release.

In looking at the Wrye Bash forum on Beth, it looks like 1.5 has thrown them a curveball by changing the structure of update.esm. As I read it, they think it is the killcams.