Skyrim Unplugged (by stoppingby4now)

stoppingby4now

Question

• Answers 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Wow' date=' 30 seconds? Latest build for me is taking about 3 or 4 seconds with CK installed (practically instantaneous without it). Will be interested in hearing how long it takes for others.[/quote']

After 5 runs with Skyrim v1.7 and CK v1.6...

• With CK: Enable ~30 seconds | Disable ~1 minute
  • Without CK: Enable ~15 seconds | Disable ~3-4 seconds
Now that I have the source I'll throw in some diagnostic messages and report back when I figure out where it's hanging.

I'm using recursion in the file permission functions for directories, which is the only thing I can think of code wise that could be causing an issue. I could remove the recursion and just add in the extra logic and see if that helps in your case.

That's still quite a drastic difference from what I'm experiencing.

EDIT: Try this build and see if the times improve.

It recognized the CK as v1.6 even though I had it uninstalled o.0

With the CK it took ~45 seconds to enable/disable and without it about 20 seconds for both as well.

I had that happen in one of my test cases. I uninstalled CK with automatic updates still disabled. In that case the files still exist because the file permissions prevent their deletion, but the registry key is gone. If you then try to install the CK, the uninstall registry information gets created even though it can't download anything. There may be another scenario as well as to why the registry key for uninstall information would still be there.

And of course, Bethesda hasn't skipped a beat. 1.7 has been released, and in my testing last night, I had accidentally left my automatic updates on enabled and got it. :facepalm:

With the CK it took ~45 seconds to enable/disable and without it about 20 seconds for both as well.

And of course, Bethesda hasn't skipped a beat. 1.7 has been released, and in my testing last night, I had accidentally left my automatic updates on enabled and got it. :facepalm:
Lol!  I let myself get it, but I have a 1.6 backup if you'd like.

I'm good, I just recovered from a restore point. I forgot to also inquire about what you are using for storage? I'm assuming HDD, but am curious at what rotation speed, and RAID if any.

I'm good, I just recovered from a restore point. I forgot to also inquire about what you are using for storage? I'm assuming HDD, but am curious at what rotation speed, and RAID if any.

I think it's Samsung, but it's a run of the mill 7200 RPM 1TB drive.

New version of Skyrim Unplugged is near ready for release, and I've had a few users test it so far. I still need to finish up help documentation, but am releasing a preliminary beta release here to a wider audience before I publish it on the Nexus. Have fixed a few minor issues that have been found so far, but am now looking for a wider target audience to make sure there are no surprises (or at least hopefully catch them before release if any still exist).

A few key points to note:

• File and Directory definitions for each product (for setting file permissions) are now stored in an XML file in the application root. This will allow for releasing an updated XML file should a new DLC come along, and can be used to test by others by just adding a new entry manually.
  • Rather than having a one button click to do everything (Enable or Disable), each product has two buttons to give greater control (one for toggling Automatic Updates, and one for toggling file permissions per product).
  • Breaking these functions out resolves the issues that plagued previous versions. The Automatic Update buttons will be enabled as long as the registry keys exist for those products, and so is not tied to the Skyrim Installation Path. This means if you uninstall the product, or accidentally change the path, you can still toggle the state. The file permissions buttons will enable as long as the Skyrim Installation Path exists, and the appropriate file flagged as the main Exe (defined in GameFiles.xml) exists.
  • Upon launch for the first time, SU will attempt to determine the Skyrim installation directory from the registry. First is from the Bethesda Softworks/Skyrim key, second by basing off the Steam installation. Any path that exists, either grabbed from the registry or entered manually, will be stored in a config.xml file and used from there on out. If the path should ever change (ex. move/reinstall Steam), you would need to either manually re-enter the new path, or you can just zero out the path to an empty string which will cause SU to attempt to resolve from the registry again.
I have had one report of a user that re-installed Skyrim but the required registry Value was missing to be able to Disable Automatic Updates. The tell-tale sign of this is that when launching Skyrim Unplugged, Automatic Updates is set to "N/A".

SkyrimUnplugged1-6b-0045.7z