Skyrim Unplugged (by stoppingby4now)

stoppingby4now

Question

• Answers 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

To avoid Skyrim Launcher from resetting information in your ini files, set them to Read Only (and ALWAYS make backups :P ).

As for the update...hmmm. Aside from when either Steam or Skyrim Launcher decided to delete files that were supposed to be updated, I'm still sitting safely at 1.4.27. Can you check something for me? (this assumes you have not clicked 'Enable' since the update).

Run regedit and navigate to HKCU\Software\Valve\Steam\Apps\72850. Double check the value of "EnableCacheLoading" and let me know what it's set to. It should be 0 for Automatic Updates to be turned off. Regardless of what that setting is, right click on the 72850 key and select Permissions. Click on 'Advanced' and check to see if there is a 'Deny' entry for your username as a 'Special' permission.

To avoid Skyrim Launcher from resetting information in your ini files, set them to Read Only (and ALWAYS make backups :P ).

As for the update...hmmm. Aside from when either Steam or Skyrim Launcher decided to delete files that were supposed to be updated, I'm still sitting safely at 1.4.27. Can you check something for me? (this assumes you have not clicked 'Enable' since the update).

Run regedit and navigate to HKCU\Software\Valve\Steam\Apps\72850. Double check the value of "EnableCacheLoading" and let me know what it's set to. It should be 0 for Automatic Updates to be turned off. Regardless of what that setting is, right click on the 72850 key and select Permissions. Click on 'Advanced' and check to see if there is a 'Deny' entry for your username as a 'Special' permission.

Everything looks right and works right for me.

I'm done updating Skyrim Unplugged. On top of locking down Automatic Updates, the following files ACL's are modified to prevent delete access for the current user:

"TESV.exe"

"SkyrimLauncher.exe"

"steam_api.dll"

"installscript.vdf"

"binkw32.dll"

"atimgpud.dll"

"Data\\Update.esm"

"Data\\Update.bsa"

"Data\\Skyrim.esm"

"Data\\Skyrim - VoicesExtra.bsa"

"Data\\Skyrim - Voices.bsa"

"Data\\Skyrim - Textures.bsa"

"Data\\Skyrim - Sounds.bsa"

"Data\\Skyrim - Shaders.bsa"

"Data\\Skyrim - Misc.bsa"

"Data\\Skyrim - Meshes.bsa"

"Data\\Skyrim - Interface.bsa"

"Data\\Skyrim - Animations.bsa"

"Data\\HighResTexturePack02.esp"

"Data\\HighResTexturePack02.bsa"

"Data\\HighResTexturePack01.esp"

"Data\\HighResTexturePack01.bsa"

"Data\\Interface\\Translate_*.txt"

"Data\\Strings\\*STRINGS"

If the list of files doesn't look complete, let me know. The program will get the Skyrim installation path from the registry, then verify that all of the above files exist before allowing you to toggle Automatic Updates. When you click Enable, you can go into your Skyrim\ folder and right click on any of the above files. You should see a shield icon next to the Delete option. You will still be able to delete the files in Explorer, but programs will not be able to.

The updated version is available here. Making it available for any brave souls that would not mind trying it out. Will likely update on Nexus later today/tonight unless a problem surfaces.

EDIT: In particular, I'm interested in anyone who has Skyrim installed under C:\Program Files to know if there are problems with setting file permissions.

Run regedit and navigate to HKCU\Software\Valve\Steam\Apps\72850. Double check the value of "EnableCacheLoading" and let me know what it's set to. It should be 0 for Automatic Updates to be turned off. Regardless of what that setting is' date=' right click on the 72850 key and select Permissions. Click on 'Advanced' and check to see if there is a 'Deny' entry for your username as a 'Special' permission.[/quote']

Backups? of course ;)

Checked all the rest and settings are as expected... so no idea how the update slipped through. I'll test the new SU version although I install Steam/Skyrim in the root of D:/ so can't comment on UAC issues.

I find setting Read Only on the ini files causes some issues (put another way I'm too lazy to keep resetting it when BOSS needs access :) )

I've tried to set permissions on files in Program Files and nothing happens, which I expect. What I didn't expect is that no exception is thrown. But, one thing that I see, is that Steam seems to have added Full Control for the User group on the base Steam directory. This would allow users to update games without needing privileges, which means the program should also be able to set permissions without elevation.

EDIT: I just don't know if the same is true on a Steam install in "Program Files".

Just uploaded the new version to the Nexus. Earlier this week, the original version had over 200 unique downloads. Yesterday, it was over 400. When I just looked, it had jumped to over 900. Amazing what a patch cycle can do. :)

And thanks to everyone that has spread the word at the Nexus.